• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Wc 2011

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
More than 2.7 million people I'd bet.
The bottom line is that NZ can pretty much guareentee sell outs to every game whereas Japan cannot. I couldn't really see 30,000 people going to Uruguay Vs. Georgia in Japan. There is a risk there that the IRB didn't want to take.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And you can guarantee 30,000 would go to it in NZ?

Weren't all the WC games in Japan 2002 sold out?

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
And you can guarantee 30,000 would go to it in NZ?

Weren't all the WC games in Japan 2002 sold out?

I am confident that if they market it correctly then we will fill every stadium of every match.

I wouldn't know but what I do know is that the IRB considered Japan to be a bit of a risk in regards to whether they would get behind the tournament.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
The IRB are an old boys network and NZ got the WC as a reward. Not that NZ don't deserve to have it, but you know, having it in Japan, that would be kinda cool.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Obviously there aren't 4 million rugby supporters in New Zealand; I'm sure we all know people who aren't interested in rugby (and some who even hate it), but the World Cup will be well supported and generate significant interest. The majority of New Zealanders never go sailing, but Auckland was pumping during the America's Cup and people with little or no knowledge of sailing became keen enthusiasts during the regatta, because it was New Zealand on the world stage.

Having said that, I doubt it will generate as much revenue as the last World Cup, or, in fact, if it were held in Japan. You won't get 30,000 at a Uruguay vs. Georgia game -- not paid in full. What you may get, however, is New Zealanders adopting the underdog, something you probably wouldn't see in Japan, who'd paper the game.