Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Wc 2011

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Fair play to NZ, I guess it is the only country where Union is the national sport.

Still think it's a bit short sighted myself tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Maybe they could just move all their sheep somewhere else for a month
    Just because the Dingo ate your baby, u dont have to take it out on us

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    well done NZ
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Tim
    If they had given South Africa the Cup, that would have been even more backwards than giving it to NZ considering South Africa were one of the more recent nations to have the tournament.

IMO it was justifiably down to NZ & Japan.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    I thought South Africa deserved it. Don't ask why. I'll settle for NZ anyway

All I can say is "sweet"
    winner of formula 1 prediction thread 2005 competition and look forward to next year

shakaSaulo@cricketmail.net

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Fair play to NZ, I guess it is the only country where Union is the national sport.

Still think it's a bit short sighted myself tho.

How will giving the world cup to Japan do anything for the sport there? They already have more playing numbers then NZ or South Africa. In reality they would get thrashings from the super powers and get knocked out in the group stage. I don't see how putting the tournament in their own backyard and letting their fans see them getting destroyed on the field first hand will help grow the game there.

I just can't see Japan ever doing much on a rugby field.. I hope I am wrong but the game just doesn't suit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    How will giving the world cup to Japan do anything for the sport there? They already have more playing numbers then NZ or South Africa. In reality they would get thrashings from the super powers and get knocked out in the group stage. I don't see how putting the tournament in their own backyard and letting their fans see them getting destroyed on the field first hand will help grow the game there.

I just can't see Japan ever doing much on a rugby field.. I hope I am wrong but the game just doesn't suit them.
    Well it's worth noting that before the 2002 Football WC Japan were nowhere in the world rankings, now they're in the top ten. It's simplistic to say that the improvement is entirely due to their hosting the tournament, but equally it's naive to say it had no effect.

I just think it's a missed opportunity to spread the gospel a bit further, that's all. Rugby is still essentially an Anglo-commonwealth sport (France excepted, obv) & I think it's missed a chance to broaden its appeal. I'll grant you that the Japanese physical stereotype is not ideally suited to Rugby, but in a national of 120 million it stands to reason there must be a few big lads.

Well it's worth noting that before the 2002 Football WC Japan were nowhere in the world rankings, now they're in the top ten. It's simplistic to say that the improvement is entirely due to their hosting the tournament, but equally it's naive to say it had no effect.

I just think it's a missed opportunity to spread the gospel a bit further, that's all. Rugby is still essentially an Anglo-commonwealth sport (France excepted, obv) & I think it's missed a chance to broaden its appeal. I'll grant you that the Japanese physical stereotype is not ideally suited to Rugby, but in a national of 120 million it stands to reason there must be a few big lads.

Yeah, I would love to see the game grow as much as the next person but there seems to be a huge assumption that Japan hosting the World Cup would suddenly make them competitive.

New Zealand deserved it more than anyone IMO. Rugby is the national game and our people deserve another world cup for our constant support of the game. It may be the last opportunity for us to host one.

Japan should give 2015 a crack and hopefully the game does grow there, but it is not a give in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Yeah, I would love to see the game grow as much as the next person but there seems to be a huge assumption that Japan hosting the World Cup would suddenly make them competitive.

New Zealand deserved it more than anyone IMO. Rugby is the national game and our people deserve another world cup for our constant support of the game. It may be the last opportunity for us to host one.

Japan should give 2015 a crack and hopefully the game does grow there, but it is not a give in.
    I don't think it would suddenly make them world-beaters, that will take years, but them hosting the WC would be a wonderful step in the right direction. I think it would spark interest & hopefully develop more of a Union culture.

I've no doubt NZ will make a stirling job of hosting the WC, Union is deeply ingrained in your collective psyche after all, but this is another in a long line of short-sighted decisions that narrow rather than broaden the game's appeal. Take the Super 12/14 expansion, I thought there was the ideal chance to give Japan or Argentina a franchise, but instead SA now have 5 teams when they were really struggling to put 4 competitive teams out.

Sorry to rant, but I love the sport & professionalism has widened the gap between the haves & the have-nots. If the IRB is serious about developing the game in the second teir nations (Canada, US, Japan, Argentina, Romania) I think actions would speak louder than words.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    lol, Japan will never be competitive. At the end of the day there are only about 5 or 6 nations who will ever have a chance of winning the world cup, and thats the way its always going to be imho.

whoa-yeah btw
    "Matt Damon"

It's not really worth noting at all. The JRU has plenty of cash, yet continually refuses to invest in anything below the top level. Many clubs, and almost all junior clubs, play on clay, because the JRU isn't interested in helping the clubs get onto grass fields.

A bloke I know over there has been there for years and has tried to improve things for young players in his region - they've finally got grass at their club, but that was all down to their own hard work. He's keen to introduce other initiatives, but the JRU aren't interested. They wanted the money - nothing else. And thankfully, they didn't get the rights. There's a culture in the upper echelon of the Japanese Rugby Union that is taking the game backwards there, and nothing will change until their attitude changes.

State Vice-Captain ohtani's jacket's Avatar
    I'm disappointed.

I wanted Japan to get the World Cup.

The IRB are such an old-boys network.

To be fair, NZ have been the most consistent team (except in WC's) over the time the RWC has been around, NZ lost cohost rights with Australia may have played into the judgement.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ohtani's jacket
    The IRB are such an old-boys network.
    Of course. That's what rugger's about, old bean. Absolutely spiffing, is it not?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information