• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Wc 2011

nibbs

International Captain
lol, Japan will never be competitive. At the end of the day there are only about 5 or 6 nations who will ever have a chance of winning the world cup, and thats the way its always going to be imho.

whoa-yeah btw

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Well it's worth noting that before the 2002 Football WC Japan were nowhere in the world rankings, now they're in the top ten. It's simplistic to say that the improvement is entirely due to their hosting the tournament, but equally it's naive to say it had no effect.

I just think it's a missed opportunity to spread the gospel a bit further, that's all. Rugby is still essentially an Anglo-commonwealth sport (France excepted, obv) & I think it's missed a chance to broaden its appeal. I'll grant you that the Japanese physical stereotype is not ideally suited to Rugby, but in a national of 120 million it stands to reason there must be a few big lads.

It's not really worth noting at all. The JRU has plenty of cash, yet continually refuses to invest in anything below the top level. Many clubs, and almost all junior clubs, play on clay, because the JRU isn't interested in helping the clubs get onto grass fields.

A bloke I know over there has been there for years and has tried to improve things for young players in his region - they've finally got grass at their club, but that was all down to their own hard work. He's keen to introduce other initiatives, but the JRU aren't interested. They wanted the money - nothing else. And thankfully, they didn't get the rights. There's a culture in the upper echelon of the Japanese Rugby Union that is taking the game backwards there, and nothing will change until their attitude changes.

shaka

International Regular
To be fair, NZ have been the most consistent team (except in WC's) over the time the RWC has been around, NZ lost cohost rights with Australia may have played into the judgement.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is so good. I really thought we had no chance, great to see.

We'll put on an excellent WC, promise.

_Ed_

Just had a look at the Planet Rugby forum...there's a fair bit of hostility there!

Blaze

Banned
_Ed_ said:
Just had a look at the Planet Rugby forum...there's a fair bit of hostility there!

Having a look myself.. agree with you Voltman.. a lot of misinformation.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
Japanese people are just too small.
Ignorant.

Last year, the state champions of the prefecture I lived in, had a front row of this.

Prop LH = 18 years, 130kg

Hooker = 16 years, 105kg

Prop TH = 17 years 110kg

The loosehead is now in Tokyo, doing Sumo training :lol:

KennyD

Blaze said:
How will giving the world cup to Japan do anything for the sport there? They already have more playing numbers then NZ or South Africa. In reality they would get thrashings from the super powers and get knocked out in the group stage. I don't see how putting the tournament in their own backyard and letting their fans see them getting destroyed on the field first hand will help grow the game there.
You don't understand Japanese culture, thats why you can't see the benefit of having the World Cup there. Japanese people, really will not care how their national side do. They are humble, modest, and extremely realistic people. One vice they do have, though its great for us, is that they LOVE foreigners, apart from foreigners from other parts of Asia. They would flock to the games where they can admire the size and power of the Rugby superpowers. The haka, would absolutely go off. The World Cup would have been great there.

Blaze said:
I just can't see Japan ever doing much on a rugby field.. I hope I am wrong but the game just doesn't suit them.
Don't hope your wrong, you are wrong. Tell me, what sets Rugby apart from other sports, such as Rugby league? The fact that any body size can play. Therefore rugby can suit anybody, any country. They just have to learn how to use their strengths and applying it to playing great rugby.

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
Ignorant.

Last year, the state champions of the prefecture I lived in, had a front row of this.

Prop LH = 18 years, 130kg

Hooker = 16 years, 105kg

Prop TH = 17 years 110kg

The loosehead is now in Tokyo, doing Sumo training :lol:

I wasn't being entirely serious..

KennyD

Voltman said:
It's not really worth noting at all. The JRU has plenty of cash, yet continually refuses to invest in anything below the top level. Many clubs, and almost all junior clubs, play on clay, because the JRU isn't interested in helping the clubs get onto grass fields.
You get cut up horribly on those dirt, clay, pebble-filled grounds. :cry:

Blaze

Banned
KennyD said:
Don't hope your wrong, you are wrong. Tell me, what sets Rugby apart from other sports, such as Rugby league? The fact that any body size can play. Therefore rugby can suit anybody, any country. They just have to learn how to use their strengths and applying it to playing great rugby.

I would agree with you if we were still in the amatuar era but that isn't really the case these days.. Look at the All Blacks, strength all over the field. Gone are the days where the likes of Grant Batty would wear an All Blacks jersey. There are two positions for a smallish guy in elite rugby, the first is half back, and we are starting to see bigger guys fill that role, and first five, although they have to be extremelly talented with ball and hand and can't be too small or will be a real weak point in the defensive line.

I am not saying it is imposible for Japan and I appreciate what you are saying but I just can't see it happening.

KennyD

Blaze said:
I would agree with you if we were still in the amatuar era but that isn't really the case these days.. Look at the All Blacks, strength all over the field. Gone are the days where the likes of Grant Batty would wear an All Blacks jersey. There are two positions for a smallish guy in elite rugby, the first is half back, and we are starting to see bigger guys fill that role, and first five, although they have to be extremelly talented with ball and hand and can't be too small or will be a real weak point in the defensive line.

I am not saying it is imposible for Japan and I appreciate what you are saying but I just can't see it happening.
Ok, I see what you are saying too.

Lets just hope for the best hey?:)

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So I was way off in my analysis. Can't say I'm too dissapointed with the decision. When we saw SA was out of the running, everybody in my house at the time, rooted for Japan, but me. I guess it's because I still wanted the matches to held in a powerhouse. I do believe it will be a brilliant WC.

Although I did root for the NZ'ers ahead of Japan, I must say, the prospect of playing against NZ in NZ is quite a daunting one! But it will be great sports! :D

Last edited:

Zinzan

BoyBrumby said:
I don't think it would suddenly make them world-beaters, that will take years, but them hosting the WC would be a wonderful step in the right direction. I think it would spark interest & hopefully develop more of a Union culture.

I've no doubt NZ will make a stirling job of hosting the WC, Union is deeply ingrained in your collective psyche after all, but this is another in a long line of short-sighted decisions that narrow rather than broaden the game's appeal. Take the Super 12/14 expansion, I thought there was the ideal chance to give Japan or Argentina a franchise, but instead SA now have 5 teams when they were really struggling to put 4 competitive teams out.

Sorry to rant, but I love the sport & professionalism has widened the gap between the haves & the have-nots. If the IRB is serious about developing the game in the second teir nations (Canada, US, Japan, Argentina, Romania) I think actions would speak louder than words.
As I've already stated on this thread, I don't buy into the whole "Globalising the game through Asia" if it did go to Japan. Japan have played proffessional rugby for years and have never been great shakes. Also the Hong Kong 7s, which is the most prestigious 7s event, has had little impact on the strength of 15 a side in Asia, let alone 7's.

The other factor to consider is that in a country Japan's size (130 million people of so) I don't think it would have quite the impact that many think as many people Japanese wouldn't even know it was on, whereas in New Zealand, absolutely everyone would be buzzing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
To be fair, NZ have been the most consistent team (except in WC's) over the time the RWC has been around
But what does team ability have to do with who's going to host it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
As I've already stated on this thread, I don't buy into the whole "Globalising the game through Asia" if it did go to Japan. Japan have played proffessional rugby for years and have never been great shakes.
They'd been playing Professional Football for a large number of years before 2002...

zinzan12 said:
Also the Hong Kong 7s, which is the most prestigious 7s event, has had little impact on the strength of 15 a side in Asia, let alone 7's.
IMO 7s and 15 are much different games. How many of the big names play the HK 7s?