• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC Qualifier tonight

BoyBrumby

Englishman
age_master said:
1-0 Australia and it will go to penalties....
Absolutely genius prediction from age there. Hope you had a few notes on it!

I actually find myself pleased Oz have made it. That can't be normal.... :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
haha well done socceroos, a lucky escape
Lucky escape? They dominated the whole game from half-time onwards. If anything, it was a lucky escape for Uruguay to be given the chance to win it in a shootout.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
You took your time Australia.

Well done anyway, I suppose something had to go right for you this year sporting-wise ;)

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lucky escape? They dominated the whole game from half-time onwards. If anything, it was a lucky escape for Uruguay to be given the chance to win it in a shootout.
The chances that uruguay had to score, especially that one at point blank range..... was what i was refferring to.

Don

State Vice-Captain
another qualifier in progress trinidad vs bharain.seems like someone is gonna get shot after this game

Barney Rubble

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
That is true, but how many of the South Korean players played outside Korea in the last World Cup. I think they will be competive, Angola would be the team i would be worried about, but they did beat some decent sides to qualify.
Park Ji-Sung, Lee Young-Pyo, Cha Doo-Ri, Hong Myung-Bo, and Lee Dong-Kook all had experience of European leagues, IIRC. Togo and Angola don't have anyone between them I don't think - although if my Champ Manager experience serves, there might be an Angolan striker who played a bit in Portugal a couple of seasons ago (his name might be Mantorras, not sure). Even so, hardly what you'd call experience. They'll probably give someone a hard time for 20 minutes, then concede and capitulate 4- or 5-0 on at least one occasion.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Go T&T! Be nice to have another cricketing nation in the WC.
Who's for a football tournament among the 10 Test-playing nations? England v Bangladesh at footy might actually be a bigger mismatch than the cricket version! I can just imagine that:

England 38 (Rooney 17, Owen 12, Lampard 4, Beckham 3, Campbell, Gerrard)
Bangladesh 0

Almost reads like a scorecard from a match played at Headingley in the 1920s. :p :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Give much for the Norwayenese chances later, BTW? Looks a stiff ask to me.
Basically, a team with even less technique than the Aussies are going to have to score two goals against the Czech Republic defense stonewall of Grygera, Galasek, Jankulovski and Ujfalusi. I'd rather back myself to have a chance as prima ballerina at the Prague National Ballet than for that to happen.

Btw, Barney - Togo's list of international players:

Adekanmi Olufade - 25, forward, four seasons in Europe with Lokeren, Lille, Nice and Charleroi, 35 games/4 goals
Thomas Dossevi - 26, midfielder, Valenciennes, 95 games/23 goals in French Ligue 2
Emmanuel Adebayor - 21, striker, Monaco, 96 games/22 goals (also 44 games/15 goals with Metz)
Kossi Agassas - 27, goalkeeper, Metz, 30 games

Angola's a bit worse. They have a striker who play in Championnat de France Amateur (that's the fourth division), a couple of players in the Portuguese Super Liga (Mantorras and Edson), and three players in the Portuguese Division Two.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
Who's for a football tournament among the 10 Test-playing nations? England v Bangladesh at footy might actually be a bigger mismatch than the cricket version! I can just imagine that:

Bangladesh 0

Almost reads like a scorecard from a match played at Headingley in the 1920s. :p :D
Rio didn't play then.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:

Bangladesh 0

Actually, it'd be about 30-odd teams, because the West Indies wouldn't compete as one team (if they did, they'd have a pretty good chance of coming in the semis, though...)

Both Bangladesh and Pakistan got knocked out at the preliminary stages of the Asian qualifiers (by Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan respectively), Sri Lanka finished last, India just avoided last place. The West Indies had four teams in the top twelve of CONCACAF, South Africa and Zimbabwe both finished third in their African qualifiers, New Zealand got knocked out by the Solomons in Oceania.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Actually, it'd be about 30-odd teams, because the West Indies wouldn't compete as one team (if they did, they'd have a pretty good chance of coming in the semis, though...)

Both Bangladesh and Pakistan got knocked out at the preliminary stages of the Asian qualifiers (by Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan respectively), Sri Lanka finished last, India just avoided last place. The West Indies had four teams in the top twelve of CONCACAF, South Africa and Zimbabwe both finished third in their African qualifiers, New Zealand got knocked out by the Solomons in Oceania.
I think a Commonwealth football tournament would be pretty good. Aside from the cricketing nations you would also have Nigeria, Cameroon & Canada too. We'd prob start as favourites, but I don't think it'd be a forgone conclusion we'd win.

Bahrain just had goal disallowed & player sent off. Sounds like it's starting to get a bit lively now. :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOfrickinYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bahrain played a disgusting game. I hope the world was watching.

SupaFreak2005

International Vice-Captain
WOOHOOOO TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IN WORLD CUP FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!!!
BOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAA!!!

agree with you on that liam, it was absolutely poor sportsmanship!