• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most disgraceful sporting performances.....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Well that shows that the rating system is a bit flawed then (a bit like the ICC ones in cricket which repeatedly claimed that SA were better than Australia until recently).
If you want to edit to to stop grammatical critique, at least make the sentence one that a 12 year old wouldn't be ashamed of...

In fairness, Henman merited 7 or 8 in the world. He won tournaments and went on runs - he just lacked the extra edge that was the ability to handle pressure or come through in the crunch - or lifting himself to an extra level.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
He was only any good on one surface (although granted he did have a few runs on other sirfaces, not enough to make him 7 or 8 in the World) - and he blew his only chance of winning a major tournament in the Australian Open a few years ago when the big guns were all out and lost.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't know for a fact, but I'd be surprised if Henman wasn't ranked 7 or 8 (or maybe higher) at least once in his career. He was never truly of the first water, but very close. Certainly the best British player I've seen thus far. Back in the bad old days the press would cream itself if Bates ever made the 4th round at Wimbledon! & before him we had right-wing tosspot "Buster" Motram. Bit before my time, but undeniably an ex-National Front member. Tim had his faults, but at least he wasn't a Nazi! :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I know he was ranked 4th at one time, but my point was that he shouldn't have been (or even 7th or 8th for that matter).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
He doesn't crack under pressure. He's just poo.
What a ridiculously uninformed statement.

Henman is unlikely now to ever win a grand slam event, but I challenge you to name a single British player from the last 60 - yes, SIXTY - years who is better than he is/was.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tom Halsey said:
I know he was ranked 4th at one time, but my point was that he shouldn't have been (or even 7th or 8th for that matter).
Tennis rankings are based upon results over an entire calendar year. Whatever number he reached, that was earned.

(This is really difficult, defending Tim Henman, but your criticism is barmy)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:

Henman is unlikely now to ever win a grand slam event, but I challenge you to name a single British player from the last 60 - yes, SIXTY - years who is better than he is/was.
Presume you're limiting that to blokes, otherwise I could name half a dozen! :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Presume you're limiting that to blokes, otherwise I could name half a dozen! :p
You'll be lucky, but feel free to try. I can come up with five in the last 60 years (and none in the last 20), but I'm not really a tennis fan. Of those five, 3 reached higher in the rankings, 3 won Wimbledon.

Christine Trueman, Angela Mortimer, Ann Jones, Sue Barker, Virginia Wade.

open365

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:

Ashley Giles being the best England have doesn't make him any better.

I'm i little amazed the Henman has managed to have as good a ranking as he had without acctually winning anything major,his Paris masters win was terrific but apart from that nothing sticks out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
luckyeddie said:
You'll be lucky, but feel free to try. I can come up with five in the last 60 years (and none in the last 20), but I'm not really a tennis fan. Of those five, 3 reached higher in the rankings, 3 won Wimbledon.

Christine Trueman, Angela Mortimer, Ann Jones, Sue Barker, Virginia Wade.
Jo Durie would've been my other one.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
Ashley Giles being the best England have doesn't make him any better.

I'm i little amazed the Henman has managed to have as good a ranking as he had without acctually winning anything major,his Paris masters win was terrific but apart from that nothing sticks out.
13 tournament victories (surprisingly, NONE of them on grass. I guess he just didn't like getting high).

The point about Giles (and why to bring him up is totally irrelevant) is that I can name you at least 25 spinners since WWII who I could have made a case for being better than the King, but no-one can come up with ANY tennis players who are better than Henman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PY said:
Any relation to that ugly gimp Gordon who plied his trade for Rangers and Spurs? :p
Ah, the original sicknote! I don't think so, but Jo wasn't exactly model material either!

On the subject of Spurts I'd like to mention Gazza "Gazza" Gazza hilariously knackering his cruciate ligament when launching into a knee-high scythe on fellow booze-monkey Gary Charles in the 1991 FA Cup Final. Tragically tho the Bad guys still won. :dry:

PY

International Coach
Can't agree with the hilarious bit. Other than the fact he was an idiot, he was my favourite player through my younger years!

Got a standing ovation from me and 6,500 Mariners fans when he turned up for Burnley (completely unfit) when he skinned about 4 men without coming out of a trot at one point, he still had it to flaunt. Gave us an over-the-head-around-the-ground applause when he got another standing ovation from us when he was brought off and chants of 'There's only one Paul Gascoigne' rang out from Blundell Park.

I feel like Mark Nicholas. :D

Honestly, I was watching clips of Cantona and Gazza the other day and I wished there'd be someone like them two in football nowadays. They'd automatically become my hero. I can't think of anyone currently in the game who has the individual flair, creativity and genius to do what them guys did and many others before.Probably because it's so professional and them guys didn't pull their weight all the time and weren't greatly fit either.

To go opposite in the thread, I remember in World Cup '03 and the efforts of a prop who's name escapes me who heard his opposite number yell 'neck' and his quick thoughts to stop pushing saved this guy's career. I don't like negative threads and it's been a long day so I thought I'd meander a little. :p

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England v Australia, rugby union World Cup final 2003 - the referee. If that wasn't a disgraceful sporting performance (very sporting to give the convicts a chance instead of them being beaten comfortably) I don't know what is.

nibbs

International Captain
australia turning into pseudo asians, just because they can't qualify for the soccer world cup via oceania. probably the most gutless effort, from a bunch of gutless cowards, in recent times...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Ah, the original sicknote! I don't think so, but Jo wasn't exactly model material either!

On the subject of Spurts I'd like to mention Gazza "Gazza" Gazza hilariously knackering his cruciate ligament when launching into a knee-high scythe on fellow booze-monkey Gary Charles in the 1991 FA Cup Final. Tragically tho the Bad guys still won. :dry:
No - the Florists lost har har har.

Scum buckets.