• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FIFA player of the year

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Complete shortlist of male nominees:
Adriano (Inter), Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich), David Beckham (Real Madrid), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Cafu (AC Milan), Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd), Deco (Barcelona), Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Michael Essien (Chelsea), Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Juventus), Kaka (AC Milan), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Paolo Maldini (AC Milan), Pavel Nedved (Juventus), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton), Raul (Real Madrid), Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Robinho (Real Madrid), Ronaldinho (Barcelona), Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Give it to Ronaldinho :)

I reckon Gerrard or a Chelsea player may have a fair chance as well.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Why on earth is Okocha there? from what i've heard from Bolton fans i know he's not worth his place in their side atm.

would have thought John Terry should have been nominated.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah okocha has been nothing like his real self for a while now, even if he was though i wouldnt say he was performing at anywhere near the level required for him to be nominated for this award, and yeah its somewhat mystifying to see terry absent from that list. God knows how didier "dogbreath" drogba has wormed his way in there either, as barney says its gotta be ronaldinho.

twctopcat

International Regular
If not the mental goofmeister then i would give it to Frank "Super goals" Lampard. What a metro. What a man. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And what about Samuel "I'm the national captain and star striker. We've got a penalty in the last minute that we have to score or we're missing the world cup - I don't fancy it" Eto'o?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL, that took a while to spit out :p

why is Beckham there, whats he done lately?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
top 3 candidates would be Ronaldinho, Lampard & Adriano for me...

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
may be a huge outsider, but im going for Steven Gerrard, for the personal work he did in order to get Liverpool a further Champions League Trophy

Barney Rubble

International Coach
shaka said:
may be a huge outsider, but im going for Steven Gerrard, for the personal work he did in order to get Liverpool a further Champions League Trophy
The fact that he's been anonymous at international level all year will count against him, though.

Adriano is the closest challenger to Ronaldinho in my opinion - the only footballer other than Ronaldinho who has continually produced the seemingly impossible over the past year.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
No personal bias required here...because as from what I've seen Gerrard easily beats Ronaldinho or Adriano...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
And what about Samuel "I'm the national captain and star striker. We've got a penalty in the last minute that we have to score or we're missing the world cup - I don't fancy it" Eto'o?
He scored loads of goals and helped Barca win the La Liga. Personally I dont rate him that that highly despite being a Barca fan but whether we like it or not, he does manage to find the net.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
As he showed at the most crucial time by hiding...
Well there's a real chance of getting killed (or your relatives suffering instead, or something mild could happen instead like your house being burnt down...) if you had missed that penalty in Cameroon, so it's not a normal football situation.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
not being biased but steve gerrad has had a great year and a quality player in a struggling side, i rekon he is a massive chance..........