• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Definition of cricket

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Anyone ever seen this definition of the game of cricket?
"you have two sides: one out in the field and one in. Each man that's on the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out. When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, that's the end of the game."
Makes sense to me, though the guy who wrote this doesn't think it does.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Came across it on cricinfo a couple of years back when trying to teach myself the game.

As you can imagine, it confused me more than it helped.

King_Ponting

International Regular
jot1 said:
"you have two sides: one out in the field and one in. Each man that's on the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out. When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs, that's the end of the game."
yeh i think its meant to be a joke, taking the pi ss out of the games complexity written by some american who couldn't fathom the complexity of the game that is cricket, when compared to baseball that is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
yeh i think its meant to be a joke, taking the pi ss out of the games complexity written by some american who couldn't fathom the complexity of the game that is cricket, when compared to baseball that is.
You'll find it was written by someone you really wouldnt expect, if you believe it was an American trying to take the p*ss out.

In fact, I dont think you could be much further from the truth than that!

King_Ponting

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
You'll find it was written by someone you really wouldnt expect, if you believe it was an American trying to take the p*ss out.

In fact, I dont think you could be much further from the truth than that!
Well the copy i have must be plagurism at its finest. Bought it from an antique shop, laminated cardboard, and it says that it is written by an anonymous american. It is as follows:

Cricket (as explained to a foreign visitor)

You have two sides one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's on the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
(only difference)

When both sides have been in and out, including the not outs.

That's the end of the game.

by an anonymous american

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here's another one.

Definition of Cricket :

A small, leaping insect related to grasshoppers and locusts. But unlike its relatives, a cricket is typically a beneficial insect, and in many cultures a symbol of good luck.

Male crickets make their distinctive chipping sound by rubbing together their wings (back legs) in a process called stridulation.

Crickets actually make three types of noises - a mating call, a "wooing call" and a noise to warn away other would-be suitors.

:)

jot1

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Here's another one.

Definition of Cricket :

A small, leaping insect related to grasshoppers and locusts. But unlike its relatives, a cricket is typically a beneficial insect, and in many cultures a symbol of good luck.

Male crickets make their distinctive chipping sound by rubbing together their wings (back legs) in a process called stridulation.

Crickets actually make three types of noises - a mating call, a "wooing call" and a noise to warn away other would-be suitors.

:)
:laugh: :laugh: Nice

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
jot1 said:
Yes my Mum has a teatowel with it on.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I have to read it everytime I go to the bathroom at my cousins place because they have it hanging on the wall. I'm quite sick of it now

twctopcat

International Regular
Still makes me laugh everytime i read that description. What a great game. I always wonder what the guys who thought up the game had been drinking!!! :)