• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Sportsman in the world?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously it is impossible too say really but who are the men or women that really stand out from the rest?

Valentino Rossi and Tiger Woods are two names that spring too mind

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tim henman :p

in all seriousness i would agree with woods and rossi, there is no real obvious footballer or rugby player.... cricket there are so many who i would class as really great tbh, erm...roger federer perhaps?

PY

International Coach
Michael Johnson.

Bet he could still beat the fastest now even though he's retired.

Piper

International Captain
I will have to think about this and then give u the lost coz its really long lol :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lance Armstrong
Don Bradman

MASSIVE GAP

Muhammed Ali
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Michael Schumacher
Jona Lomu
Michael Jordan
Pele
Allan Donald
Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Tiger Woods

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Armstrong, period.
armstrong has been accused of concentrating exclusively on the "tour de france" while avoiding a lot of other races....that could even have contributed to his overall preparedness and strong showing at the tour...but of course recovering from cancer and then winning 7 consecutive titles in one of the toughest races in the world is a fantastic achievment....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Lance Armstrong
Don Bradman

MASSIVE GAP

Muhammed Ali
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Michael Schumacher
Jona Lomu
Michael Jordan
Pele
Allan Donald
Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Tiger Woods
i knew he had to be in there somewhere..... :D

Scaly piscine

One of the swimmers that'll end up winning something silly like 5+ gold medals at the next olympics (or anyone that could win multiple gold medals really). I wouldn't go with Armstrong because there are too many dubious goings on (with drugs) in cycling.

Pothas

The fact that you say one of the swimmers shows that they cant really be regarded as great it was ian thorpe in sydney and it was that phelps guy last time and itl probably be someone else next olympics, for me they dont really eclipse thier sport like someone like tiger and valentino rossi is just increadible i really think he is the best.

Scaly piscine

Pothas said:
The fact that you say one of the swimmers shows that they cant really be regarded as great it was ian thorpe in sydney and it was that phelps guy last time and itl probably be someone else next olympics, for me they dont really eclipse thier sport like someone like tiger and valentino rossi is just increadible i really think he is the best.
All it shows is I can't remember what their names are, anyone who gets that many gold medals is a bit special. Tiger has pretty weak competition and golf is a bit crap anyway. And don't know anything about motor cycling.

Getting back to the earlier mentions of Armstrong, he's retired anyway, so if someone is gonna count him then he's superseded by Steve Redgrave who has accomplished more in his career as far as I'm concerned.

C_C

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Lance Armstrong
Don Bradman

MASSIVE GAP

Muhammed Ali
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Michael Schumacher
Jona Lomu
Michael Jordan
Pele
Allan Donald
Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Tiger Woods

Disagree.
Lance Amstrong is definately up there but on what basis do you rate Bradman so highly, given that Sobers was the best CRICKETER ever to play the game ?
And Pele, muhammad Ali were far higher than Lomu or Warney or Schumi.

And i used to follow motor sports avidly and by almost unequivocal agreement in the F1 community, Ayerton Senna was the best F1 driver in the history of the sport.
Schumi battles with Jim Clarke for second best.

I would say overall, the best sportsman ever is between Pele, Mohammad Ali, Sobers, Lance Armstrong, Senna, Larissa Latyusina ( sp?) and Carl Lewis.