Thread: Kafelnikov to make European golfing debut

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Kafelnikov to make European golfing debut

10:40 AM August 9

Former world number one tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov will make his golf debut on the European Tour this week at the Russian Open.

Kafelnikov received a wild card entry into the tournament which begins at the Moscow Country Club on Thursday night (AEST).

"As co-organisers of the Russian Open we had a right to give out wild cards to our members and we felt that Yevgeny's presence will greatly enhance the image of our tournament," Russian Golf Association (RGA) president Konstantin Kozhevnikov said.

Kafelnikov has been an avid golfer for a long time. He also serves as one of RGA's vice-presidents.

"I'm serious about golf," the former French and Australian Open champion said in May after taking part in an annual President's Cup invitational tournament, where his team finished third.

"I know it takes countless hours of practice before you learn all the intricate parts of this game, but I'm prepared to give it a try."

The 31-year-old, who has gained considerable weight since ending his tennis career, will follow in the footsteps of another former tennis world number one, Ivan Lendl.

The Czech-born American, winner of eight grand slam titles in tennis, birdied his first hole on his debut in the 1996 Czech Open but then bombed to an 82, missing the cut.

-Reuters

will be interesting to see how he does
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

It will be interesting, especially if he can make the cut somehow. Is he trying to do a Michael Jordon for the tennis world, without being the absolute best tennis player?

Isn't he a poker player as well?

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Isn't he a poker player as well?
    Yep, pro poker player. Made the finals of the UK Open Poker Tournament as well I think.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Yep, pro poker player. Made the finals of the UK Open Poker Tournament as well I think.
    Yeah, I saw that, he is a damn fine player too.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

I could see him having a darn good poker face.

Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    10:40 AM August 9

Former world number one tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov will make his golf debut on the European Tour this week at the Russian Open.

Kafelnikov received a wild card entry into the tournament which begins at the Moscow Country Club on Thursday night (AEST).

"As co-organisers of the Russian Open we had a right to give out wild cards to our members and we felt that Yevgeny's presence will greatly enhance the image of our tournament," Russian Golf Association (RGA) president Konstantin Kozhevnikov said.

Kafelnikov has been an avid golfer for a long time. He also serves as one of RGA's vice-presidents.

"I'm serious about golf," the former French and Australian Open champion said in May after taking part in an annual President's Cup invitational tournament, where his team finished third.

"I know it takes countless hours of practice before you learn all the intricate parts of this game, but I'm prepared to give it a try."

The 31-year-old, who has gained considerable weight since ending his tennis career, will follow in the footsteps of another former tennis world number one, Ivan Lendl.

The Czech-born American, winner of eight grand slam titles in tennis, birdied his first hole on his debut in the 1996 Czech Open but then bombed to an 82, missing the cut.

-Reuters

will be interesting to see how he does
    Least there's one sport where he may excel on grass.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Least there's one sport where he may excel on grass.

Thread Information