• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kafelnikov to make European golfing debut

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
10:40 AM August 9

Former world number one tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov will make his golf debut on the European Tour this week at the Russian Open.

Kafelnikov received a wild card entry into the tournament which begins at the Moscow Country Club on Thursday night (AEST).

"As co-organisers of the Russian Open we had a right to give out wild cards to our members and we felt that Yevgeny's presence will greatly enhance the image of our tournament," Russian Golf Association (RGA) president Konstantin Kozhevnikov said.

Kafelnikov has been an avid golfer for a long time. He also serves as one of RGA's vice-presidents.

"I'm serious about golf," the former French and Australian Open champion said in May after taking part in an annual President's Cup invitational tournament, where his team finished third.

"I know it takes countless hours of practice before you learn all the intricate parts of this game, but I'm prepared to give it a try."

The 31-year-old, who has gained considerable weight since ending his tennis career, will follow in the footsteps of another former tennis world number one, Ivan Lendl.

The Czech-born American, winner of eight grand slam titles in tennis, birdied his first hole on his debut in the 1996 Czech Open but then bombed to an 82, missing the cut.

-Reuters

will be interesting to see how he does

shaka

International Regular
It will be interesting, especially if he can make the cut somehow. Is he trying to do a Michael Jordon for the tennis world, without being the absolute best tennis player? :D

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Isn't he a poker player as well?
Yep, pro poker player. Made the finals of the UK Open Poker Tournament as well I think.

howardj

International Coach
age_master said:
10:40 AM August 9

Former world number one tennis player Yevgeny Kafelnikov will make his golf debut on the European Tour this week at the Russian Open.

Kafelnikov received a wild card entry into the tournament which begins at the Moscow Country Club on Thursday night (AEST).

"As co-organisers of the Russian Open we had a right to give out wild cards to our members and we felt that Yevgeny's presence will greatly enhance the image of our tournament," Russian Golf Association (RGA) president Konstantin Kozhevnikov said.

Kafelnikov has been an avid golfer for a long time. He also serves as one of RGA's vice-presidents.

"I'm serious about golf," the former French and Australian Open champion said in May after taking part in an annual President's Cup invitational tournament, where his team finished third.

"I know it takes countless hours of practice before you learn all the intricate parts of this game, but I'm prepared to give it a try."

The 31-year-old, who has gained considerable weight since ending his tennis career, will follow in the footsteps of another former tennis world number one, Ivan Lendl.

The Czech-born American, winner of eight grand slam titles in tennis, birdied his first hole on his debut in the 1996 Czech Open but then bombed to an 82, missing the cut.

-Reuters

will be interesting to see how he does
Least there's one sport where he may excel on grass.