• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well after 18 months of no domestic Football in Australia, our national league is just about to start again, 36 days to go. I can't wait the pre season cup starts on Friday with Adeliade United playing Perth Glory and then mighty Syndey FC play the not so mighty NZ Knights on Saturday night. I think Sydney FC going to win it all, we got the best team going around, none of the other sides have our depth. Just wanted to see what the other Australian and NZ Football fans were thinking about the league, who they were going for and who they think will win.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think its a good initiative (the whole new league), hopefully stamp out crowd trouble too. And it's good having one-team towns, get everybody behind it and maximise crowds. I'll be following it loosely, a bit more than what I did with the NSL. It'll be good to get a few names playing, I'm sure people will get along to see some of the people who have played for Aus when they've finished their work overseas.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
hopefully stamp out crowd trouble too
Was there any crowd trouble during the NSL years apart from some serb and croats stuff. The crowd trouble has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the situation in the balkans.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Was there any crowd trouble during the NSL years apart from some serb and croats stuff. The crowd trouble has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the situation in the balkans.
There was a fair bit - however misrepresented - in Melbourne.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
If you can find any cases of matches being stopped in AFL because of crowd trouble, I'd like to see it.
And how many of those games that were stopped didn't involve a Croatian or Serbian backed team

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
And how many of those games that were stopped didn't involve a Croatian or Serbian backed team
The point is, that the new A-League should hopefully eradicate crowd trouble because it has created one team towns, and ensuring that cross-town rivalries such as that seen with Melbourne Knights versus South Melbourne don't cause that to happen.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
The point is, that the new A-League should hopefully eradicate crowd trouble because it has created one team towns, and ensuring that cross-town rivalries such as that seen with Melbourne Knights versus South Melbourne don't cause that to happen.
Well it seems you have been brain washed by the pro-AFL media, but i guess that not your fault. Anyway less talk about crowd trouble and more talk about Football.

Go Sydney FC :D :D :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
There was a fair bit - however misrepresented - in Melbourne.
Look, it was a passing comment. And the "fair bit" may have been the wrong term to use. But the gist of it was still correct - fact is that the spectre of crowd trouble hung over the old NSL, and fact is that the A-League will eradicate that (yes, rather innaccurate, but still apparent) association.

So far I think that the A-League has done a great job of getting positive talk - especially about the increased standard of football - about the sport in Australia, and in managing to attract players who the regular joe who doesn't have a vested interest in soccer will be able to recognise will do wonders for the sport.

Hopefully they can continue to attract these players over at the end of their careers, and get them to give something back to football in Australia.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Look, it was a passing comment. And the "fair bit" may have been the wrong term to use. But the gist of it was still correct - fact is that the spectre of crowd trouble hung over the old NSL, and fact is that the A-League will eradicate that (yes, rather innaccurate, but still apparent) association.

So far I think that the A-League has done a great job of getting positive talk - especially about the increased standard of football - about the sport in Australia, and in managing to attract players who the regular joe who doesn't have a vested interest in soccer will be able to recognise will do wonders for the sport.

Hopefully they can continue to attract these players over at the end of their careers, and get them to give something back to football in Australia.
Lets leave the crowd stuff to one side vic, don't worry about it.

Personally i hope the clubs try and bring in young players from Africa, Asia, The Americas and even young Europeans like Terry McFlynn over getting players past their best like Brain Deane. But we don't live in a perfect world and the clubs seem to want to gather the interest of the casual Football supporter buy bring over big name players past their best.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Should be good to see some competitive football between our Kingz turned Knights and the Australia sides again - been a long but hopefully worthy break.

Can't see the Knights causing much of a problem to the leaders in this years' league but it's a completely new side after the Kingz so I guess anything could happen.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
All the sides are pretty new teams, i think the Kinghts might create some upsets this season, they brought some decent players. The funny thing about the Knights is that there is only like 4 Kiwis in the sqaud. Maybe that a sign that the All White players aren't good enough for the A-League.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to the A-League so very much ... my mate already has his own Sydney 'Bling FC' jersey.

The big names like Dwight Yorke are good for the start of the league, but I agree the league will need to attract young promising overseas players.

Unfortunately won't be making it to Aussie Stadium for Bling FC v Knightz ... something I am very upset about

Blaze

Banned
My mate got asked to play for the knights but turned them down.. he is trialing in England instead

Cloete

International Captain
Definitely looking forward to it! :D

Will be good to see some quality football back in Brisbane! Last game I saw was Cameroon v Brazil in the Sydney 2000 Olympics at the Gabba. Cameroon won 3-2 in extra time (I think! :p) and the Brazillian team included guys like Ronaldinho and Alex!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Definitely looking forward to it! :D

Will be good to see some quality football back in Brisbane! Last game I saw was Cameroon v Brazil in the Sydney 2000 Olympics at the Gabba. Cameroon won 3-2 in extra time (I think! :p) and the Brazillian team included guys like Ronaldinho and Alex!
The Roar aren't much better then Strikers, so you will still wont be seeing quaity football unless Sydney FC are at the other end ;)

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I will be supporting the Knights.. we are getting really cheap tickets being uni students who have a partnership with the stadium that is going to be hosting the Knights games..

I dont except a huge season at all.. i just hope the Knights do their best however and im sure they will cause a few upsets.. but only time will tell and they can only keep learning..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
Will be good to see some quality football back in Brisbane!
When's it coming then?

If Dwight Yorke is one of the top players in the league, it won't be just yet. ;)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
When's it coming then?

If Dwight Yorke is one of the top players in the league, it won't be just yet. ;)
Sydney FC will smash Coventry City any day of the week :p

Last edited: