Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A-League Thread

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar

A-League Thread

Well after 18 months of no domestic Football in Australia, our national league is just about to start again, 36 days to go. I can't wait the pre season cup starts on Friday with Adeliade United playing Perth Glory and then mighty Syndey FC play the not so mighty NZ Knights on Saturday night. I think Sydney FC going to win it all, we got the best team going around, none of the other sides have our depth. Just wanted to see what the other Australian and NZ Football fans were thinking about the league, who they were going for and who they think will win.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

I think its a good initiative (the whole new league), hopefully stamp out crowd trouble too. And it's good having one-team towns, get everybody behind it and maximise crowds. I'll be following it loosely, a bit more than what I did with the NSL. It'll be good to get a few names playing, I'm sure people will get along to see some of the people who have played for Aus when they've finished their work overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    hopefully stamp out crowd trouble too
    Was there any crowd trouble during the NSL years apart from some serb and croats stuff. The crowd trouble has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the situation in the balkans.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Was there any crowd trouble during the NSL years apart from some serb and croats stuff. The crowd trouble has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the situation in the balkans.
    There was a fair bit - however misrepresented - in Melbourne.

Anymore then the stuff in AFL and Rugby League

Anymore then the stuff in AFL and Rugby League
    If you can find any cases of matches being stopped in AFL because of crowd trouble, I'd like to see it.

If you can find any cases of matches being stopped in AFL because of crowd trouble, I'd like to see it.
    And how many of those games that were stopped didn't involve a Croatian or Serbian backed team

And how many of those games that were stopped didn't involve a Croatian or Serbian backed team
    The point is, that the new A-League should hopefully eradicate crowd trouble because it has created one team towns, and ensuring that cross-town rivalries such as that seen with Melbourne Knights versus South Melbourne don't cause that to happen.

The point is, that the new A-League should hopefully eradicate crowd trouble because it has created one team towns, and ensuring that cross-town rivalries such as that seen with Melbourne Knights versus South Melbourne don't cause that to happen.
    Well it seems you have been brain washed by the pro-AFL media, but i guess that not your fault. Anyway less talk about crowd trouble and more talk about Football.

Go Sydney FC

Look, it was a passing comment. And the "fair bit" may have been the wrong term to use. But the gist of it was still correct - fact is that the spectre of crowd trouble hung over the old NSL, and fact is that the A-League will eradicate that (yes, rather innaccurate, but still apparent) association.

So far I think that the A-League has done a great job of getting positive talk - especially about the increased standard of football - about the sport in Australia, and in managing to attract players who the regular joe who doesn't have a vested interest in soccer will be able to recognise will do wonders for the sport.

Hopefully they can continue to attract these players over at the end of their careers, and get them to give something back to football in Australia.

Look, it was a passing comment. And the "fair bit" may have been the wrong term to use. But the gist of it was still correct - fact is that the spectre of crowd trouble hung over the old NSL, and fact is that the A-League will eradicate that (yes, rather innaccurate, but still apparent) association.

So far I think that the A-League has done a great job of getting positive talk - especially about the increased standard of football - about the sport in Australia, and in managing to attract players who the regular joe who doesn't have a vested interest in soccer will be able to recognise will do wonders for the sport.

Hopefully they can continue to attract these players over at the end of their careers, and get them to give something back to football in Australia.
    Lets leave the crowd stuff to one side vic, don't worry about it.

Personally i hope the clubs try and bring in young players from Africa, Asia, The Americas and even young Europeans like Terry McFlynn over getting players past their best like Brain Deane. But we don't live in a perfect world and the clubs seem to want to gather the interest of the casual Football supporter buy bring over big name players past their best.

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Should be good to see some competitive football between our Kingz turned Knights and the Australia sides again - been a long but hopefully worthy break.

Can't see the Knights causing much of a problem to the leaders in this years' league but it's a completely new side after the Kingz so I guess anything could happen.

All the sides are pretty new teams, i think the Kinghts might create some upsets this season, they brought some decent players. The funny thing about the Knights is that there is only like 4 Kiwis in the sqaud. Maybe that a sign that the All White players aren't good enough for the A-League.

Looking forward to the A-League so very much ... my mate already has his own Sydney 'Bling FC' jersey.

The big names like Dwight Yorke are good for the start of the league, but I agree the league will need to attract young promising overseas players.

Unfortunately won't be making it to Aussie Stadium for Bling FC v Knightz ... something I am very upset about

My mate got asked to play for the knights but turned them down.. he is trialing in England instead

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information