• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
And I bet you've never played any sport that required physical contact and/or strength.
Yep i always thought those four season of rugby had no physical contact or strength involved. 8-)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
I'm dissapointed with the Roar's result, Mariners are probably the msot overrated team in the league and we lost to them!
I thought the Mariners were the most underated side in the league, but i guess after the CWCQ, they are now overated. BTW do you know why Brosque didn't start the match.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset said:
They sure do but I don't think the 3-1 loss was a particularly bad performance - good to see they managed a goal with a few minutes remaining too, that'll give the confidence a boost.
The 3-1 loss isn't that bad when you consider who they played. My beat is that they will beat Roar and the Mariners and qualify for the finals. I don't see the Mariners doing much away from home and the Roar don't look that good.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Bear hug? Yes, whilst running at full speed, flung to the ground with some big ******* squeezing you to death. How anyone can say AFL isn't very physical is ridiculous. And chaminda, as if you played rugby, I bet you're some little beaner :D :p

ANYWAY. Not 100% sure if he will, but we have a New Zealand U16 soccer player at our school, and he's already playing high standard in Year 10, if he chooses to continue with his soccer he might try to get a gig with Melbourne Victory..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
And chaminda, as if you played rugby, I bet you're some little beaner
And i bet you are some tall lanky freak that would get snapped in half if you played a real man game like rugby :p
Robertinho said:
ANYWAY. Not 100% sure if he will, but we have a New Zealand U16 soccer player at our school, and he's already playing high standard in Year 10, if he chooses to continue with his soccer he might try to get a gig with Melbourne Victory..
Well if his a kiwi then he would struggle to get a game, their only like 4 kiwis in the Knights squad and not too many in the other teams.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
And i bet you are some tall lanky freak that would get snapped in half if you played a real man game like rugby :p
*cough*

When was I ever saying rugby wasn't tough? I'm saying that soccer is a weak game (in the sense that it's low on physical contact). Tall lanky freak. I've already posted pictures of myself and posted my height and weight, if you consider that "tall and lanky" then you must be a midget. A very small midget. :p

Anyway, to stay on topic, are these results from a round robin tournament, or something similar? The season doesn't start for a few weeks yet, right?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
When was I ever saying rugby wasn't tough? I'm saying that soccer is a weak game (in the sense that it's low on physical contact). Tall lanky freak. I've already posted pictures of myself and posted my height and weight
Now you except me to have read every single one of your posts and find the one that has a photo of you and your height and weight 8-). If you honestly think that a sport where people try and take your legs from under you has less physical then a bear hug in AFL, then you never played a football match. Football might not be as physical as some sports like league and union, but it is as physical as AFL.

Robertinho said:
Anyway, to stay on topic, are these results from a round robin tournament, or something similar? The season doesn't start for a few weeks yet, right?
nah this is just the pre-season cup, the main comp doesn't start until late August.

Cloete

International Captain
Robertinho said:
*cough*

When was I ever saying rugby wasn't tough? I'm saying that soccer is a weak game (in the sense that it's low on physical contact). Tall lanky freak. I've already posted pictures of myself and posted my height and weight, if you consider that "tall and lanky" then you must be a midget. A very small midget. :p

Robertinho why are you so obsessed with how tall, large, strong, fat or annoying (:p) people are? It's like you have a massive chip on your shoulder or an insecurity 8-)

Anyway Tharmi, I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't start our best striker! Probably due to the fact that he's a bit low on match fitness?

I was impressed with Guus' TWG interview today though. Should be interesting to see if guys like Dilevski (Who I really rate, has excellent ball control!) are included in the camp. Unlikely but it would be nice to see something like that happen. Down the track(Next season if possible I should think!) we need to develop either an under 19/21 A-League (Where under 19 or 21 teams from each of the club sides play in a competition) or a Reserve A-League. I think Asia has quite a few youth championships does it not? At the very minimum our youths would have to play a gruelling World Cup Qualifying campaign.

Craig

World Traveller
chaminda_00 said:
I thought the Mariners were the most underated side in the league, but i guess after the CWCQ, they are now overated. BTW do you know why Brosque didn't start the match.
I guess to give some other guys a run and experiement? Otherwise I'm not too sure.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously you're an ignoramus if you think that an AFL tackle is a "bear hug". And did I ever say that you should've read any of my posts? No, just that they prove that you're wrong.

Come to Melbourne and play a game of AFL, then say it's not more physical than soccer :p

So is there much enthusiasm for this new league amongst soccer communities.. is it like a breath of fresh air.. or are people going to stick with following European teams? :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
I was impressed with Guus' TWG interview today though. Should be interesting to see if guys like Dilevski (Who I really rate, has excellent ball control!) are included in the camp. Unlikely but it would be nice to see something like that happen. Down the track(Next season if possible I should think!) we need to develop either an under 19/21 A-League (Where under 19 or 21 teams from each of the club sides play in a competition) or a Reserve A-League. I think Asia has quite a few youth championships does it not? At the very minimum our youths would have to play a gruelling World Cup Qualifying campaign.
I think we should follow the J-League format somewhat; reserve team, U18, U15 and U12. With the U15 and U12 only playing in one week championship each year and then playing for their state leagues clubs during the season. This way the A-League clubs actually develop their own and don't just buy them of state leagues club and the young players have a direct pathway to the 1st Team.

On the NT camps i how they do invite some young defensive players like Dilevski to the camp and see where they are at, cus we all know where the problems in the national team are. I think Guus needs to bring 30 or so players into the camp, so he can get a wider view of our national team stocks.

Cloete

International Captain
HERE IT IS!! :D:D

A-League kick-off tonight at 7:30PM LIVE on Fox Sports for the game between the Newcastle United Jets and Adelaide United.

At 9:30 also LIVE is the Perth Glory and the Central Coast Mariners game :D

I'm really looking forward to Sunday when the Roar take on the NZ Knights. Already 14,000 tickets have been sold, so we could see around 20,000 people turn up at Suncorp. I'll be there of course! Hopefully we get a huge crowd and the Roar have a win :D

BRING ON THE A-LEAGUE!! :D

shaka

International Regular
I would be surprised if the Knightz did not finish last at the end of the season. As would most NZers

Cloete

International Captain
OMG!! THE ROAR WERE ****IGN AWESOME

AWESOME GAME!!!

In front of a 20,725 strong crowd the Roar outclassed the Knights. Was so awesome to watch, it made the NSL look so ********. Becuase it was so damn good!! Brosque's goal was great! QLD had the run of play and more chances. We missed an open goal from about 1 metre out though lol, it was because he slipped and had to chest it and it got saved on the line. Brosque's goal made up for it mind you, a 20 yard curler into the far post.

The crowd was awesome too, there weren't enough chants though. But there was LOTS of cheering and stuff.

Anyway, A-League is awesome :D! I'll be going to basically every Roar home game!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Very good match between Sydney and Melbourne IMO. Great atmosphere at Aussie, 25000 people there. Lucky to get 1-1 to be honest. Melbourne were all over us in that 2nd half.

Anyone see Yorke's goal though ? Was right behind the posts, magnificent header

Cloete

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Very good match between Sydney and Melbourne IMO. Great atmosphere at Aussie, 25000 people there. Lucky to get 1-1 to be honest. Melbourne were all over us in that 2nd half.

Anyone see Yorke's goal though ? Was right behind the posts, magnificent header
Yeah I saw the replay at the end as I noly got home to watch the last 30 minutes. Looked tops.

Had nothing on Brosque's or Spencer's goals though :D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
Yeah I saw the replay at the end as I noly got home to watch the last 30 minutes. Looked tops.

Had nothing on Brosque's or Spencer's goals though :D
What was the score ? Didn't get to see any of it

Cloete

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
What was the score ? Didn't get to see any of it
2-0 to the Roar

We outplayed them though. Had so many chances. Brosque scored with a 25 yard far post curler and Baird latched onto a bad backpass. He just toed it past Milosevic then ran round to tap in.

We also managed to miss from about 10 centimetres out with an open goal lol. He slipped over and chested it but the ball didn't cross the line becasue a kiwi cleared it.

Spencer's was probably a bit better than Brosque's as his was top corner, altohugh Brosque's was a curler. Both great goals, put it that way :p

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Watch the 2nd half of the Bling-Melb game, and must say Archie Thompson was great for the V. Lacked a little in front of goal at times but caused alot of problems all half.

oh and go the Mariners!:D