• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Thread

Craig

World Traveller
The way Coventry went last season, anything could happen.

For me it is Queensland Roar (what a stupid moniker) who I will be supporting and be trying to get to as many games as I can get too. I will try for at least two.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
The way Coventry went last season, anything could happen.
Are you talking about under Monkey or when Mickey took over?

Mickey's done a superb job, and I'd say a top half finish is on next year.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Are you talking about under Monkey or when Mickey took over?

Mickey's done a superb job, and I'd say a top half finish is on next year.
Certainly Monkey.

BTW has your club got a goal keeper yet?

Craig

World Traveller
Well I'm sure there are some decent young goalkeepers playing for EPL clubs at the moment needing/looking for some first team experience on loan - so there is one option.

shaka

International Regular
Hope Knights dont get embarassed, and can give out some upsets.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
When you have somebody's studs connecting with cruciate ligaments in your right knee and you fall to the ground in sheer agony.

Actually football is a lot more physical then you might think.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
But that's not generally part of the game (and seriously, how often does that happen? freak accident) - whereas in tough guy sports such as AFL physical contact is one of the biggest parts of the game :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
gayfl physical contact, i've seen female league and union players that tackle harder then Aussie Rules players :p . If someone wanted to show how much of a tough guy you are you would play Rugby League or Union. Also major injuries happen in football quite a bit, i guess you didn't see Nick Mrdja tackle on Anthony Durante in the CWC Quaifiers, or that one in last night's game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sydney FC start the Pre Season Cup in good fashion with a solid 3-1 victory over the Knights. Dwight Yorke scored a goal from the pently spot, but fellow strike partner Sasho Petrovski scored two goals, so it looks like he might find it hard to get infront of Sasho and Zrilla as starting striker. But we will probably play three strikers so he could be ok.

In the other game Central Coast beat QLD Roar 3-1, with Nick Mrdja scoring a hat trick. In last nights games the Tards drew with Newcastle 1-1 and Perth Glory drew with Adelaide United 2-2

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Any particular reason for the "Tards" moniker? I don't see how its particularly clever in any real shape or form...

Maybe the fact that Melbourne are actually investing in youth, which is of long term benefit to Australian soccer, as opposed to getting has-beens like Yorke to sample the local nightlife :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Any particular reason for the "Tards" moniker? I don't see how its particularly clever in any real shape or form...

Maybe the fact that Melbourne are actually investing in youth, which is of long term benefit to Australian soccer, as opposed to getting has-beens like Yorke to sample the local nightlife :p
I always thought guys like Carney, Packer, Milligan, Pasfield, Timpano, Oostendorp, Fyfe and Laurie were all a bunch has beens. The Tards :p may have a team of youths, but Sydney FC brought the best young players in the country outside North, Carle and Brosque, who all from memory don't play for the Tards.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
gayfl physical contact, i've seen female league and union players that tackle harder then Aussie Rules players :p . If someone wanted to show how much of a tough guy you are you would play Rugby League or Union. Also major injuries happen in football quite a bit, i guess you didn't see Nick Mrdja tackle on Anthony Durante in the CWC Quaifiers, or that one in last night's game.
I wasn't saying rugby was soft. I was saying soccer was. And I bet you've never played any sport that required physical contact and/or strength. And no, I didn't see Nick Mrdja tackle Anthony Durante in the CWC Qualifiers, or that one in last night's game. I guess you didn't see the 81 tackles laid in one game of AFL (St Kilda vs Collingwood), or the 80 in another (Carlton vs Hawthorn) or the 94 in yet another (Geelong vs Bulldogs). All full body contact... :D :p

Cloete

International Captain
Robertinho said:
I wasn't saying rugby was soft. I was saying soccer was. And I bet you've never played any sport that required physical contact and/or strength. And no, I didn't see Nick Mrdja tackle Anthony Durante in the CWC Qualifiers, or that one in last night's game. I guess you didn't see the 81 tackles laid in one game of AFL (St Kilda vs Collingwood), or the 80 in another (Carlton vs Hawthorn) or the 94 in yet another (Geelong vs Bulldogs). All full body contact... :D :p
AFL tackles are pathetic though. It's basically just bear hugging someone 8-)

The only place I'll pay AFL's toughness is in the marks, pretty insane how high some of them get and pretty insnae how the people underneath get smashed. Otherwise AFL hardly requires any physical contact.

Besides, would you get over how "tough" it is. You really shouldn't be a cricket fan given alot of your comments lately! :p

I'm dissapointed with the Roar's result, Mariners are probably the msot overrated team in the league and we lost to them!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
lord_of_darkness said:
Damn the Knights have a lot to learn!
They sure do but I don't think the 3-1 loss was a particularly bad performance - good to see they managed a goal with a few minutes remaining too, that'll give the confidence a boost.