• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2005-06

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No, it does nothing of the sort.
Okay let me spell it out for you:

Neil : all friendlies are irrelevent
Pratyush: all friendlies are not irrelevent because India-Pakistan recently certainly werent

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Except it was called irrelevant before the game.
Show me.

And did Pakistan also not say before the 1999 india-pakistan world cup match that the it was irrelevent! did not make it irrelevent by any count.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
How about friendlies don't win you cups and you don't get knocked out if you lose. They make for even more boring football than usual and I'd actually rather watch yawnion than an England friendly.

And Pratyush, the India-Pakistan games were irrelevent as games. The things which made them relevant are the rivalry, politics behind the countries and what it does for the relations between them

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
steds said:
And Pratyush, the India-Pakistan games were irrelevent as games. The things which made them relevant are the rivalry, politics behind the countries and what it does for the relations between them
Yeah Steds, friendlies do not have much at stake as far as trophies are concerned but they are not ALWAYS irrelevent due to many other reasons like one upmanship, rivalries etc.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
And did Pakistan also not say before the 1999 india-pakistan world cup match that the it was irrelevent! did not make it irrelevent by any count.
That was a world cup match, friendlies are one offs where the winners gain nothing and nothing happens to the losers and most players would prefer to miss.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
steds said:
That was a world cup match, friendlies are one offs where the winners gain nothing and nothing happens to the losers and most players would prefer to miss.
Yeah but the point was a statement by some one before a match that it is irrelevent does not automatically deem it so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
As with any friendly played by England, we called it irrelevant long before the game.

Pratyush said:
Yes, but the whole fact that you've said it's a WORLD CUP match, means it's not a friendly!

Craig

World Traveller
Anyway I have heard that Citeh are trying to sign Pinturicchio (clue he plays for Juventus and it is his nickname) and would be the ultimate coup for Citeh if they get him on a loan or transfer (loan the likely option), but I doubt this will happen.

I also have reservations that Monaco or Marsielle will sign Cisse from Liverpool as Liverpool probably don't want to sell him and the bad thing for those two clubs (and for Monaco at least) is that he is European Cup tied.

Any news about Andy van der Meyde's proposed move from Inter to Everton? Last I know he has had a medical but that is it.

twctopcat

International Regular
Craig said:
So if England play it is irrelevant and for anybody else it isn't?
Well that depends on the supporters/players for any other respective nation. In England such is the way with Eriksson and the players, friendlies end up being trivial and pointless.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
England football friendlies have been irrelevant for several years now as they have no correlation with team selection or team performance in competitive games.

The first thing that crossed my mind when Jamee told me it was 3-0 that evening was "what game's this?" - that's how much I cared.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
international football friendly or not is turning into a bit of a joke now tbh, it means a lot more to the fans than it does to the players, most of them are more intrested in lining their pockets than playing for their country, this is esspecially the case for england imo, with ferdinand and gary neville esspecially, sad state of affairs imo.

twctopcat

International Regular
sledger said:
this is esspecially the case for england imo, with ferdinand and gary neville esspecially, sad state of affairs imo.
Rio yes, but Gary Neville no. He is one of the most competitive players around and plays 100% every time, unlike many England players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
he was the one that tried to lead a strike when ferdinand was banned for a year, the little ***** should have been thrown out of the squad, and trying hard is all well and good, but when your talent is equal to that of a donkey it makes no difference, hes one of the most overated players in englands histroy, what really aggrieves me is that jamie carragher who has turned into a very decent player doesnt get a look in, esspecially when both first choice centre backs are fit.

twctopcat

International Regular
sledger said:
he was the one that tried to lead a strike when ferdinand was banned for a year, the little ***** should have been thrown out of the squad, and trying hard is all well and good, but when your talent is equal to that of a donkey it makes no difference, hes one of the most overated players in englands histroy, what really aggrieves me is that jamie carragher who has turned into a very decent player doesnt get a look in, esspecially when both first choice centre backs are fit.
Righhhht. And here was me thinking you actually had some footballing knowledge. Explain to me how Neville is overrated when the majority who don't play/know anything about football think he is a donkey anyway??? But i suppose you know better than every football manager in the land, and most players for that matter.