• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Le Tour 2005

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So, anyone willing to back against Armstrong?

Currently watching Stage 3 into Tours on Eurosport, wonder if Dekker can hold the breakaway together? Doubt it, it's another sprint-off for mine.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm willing to back him. It's his last time out and i'm sure he'll be trying to win.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
So, anyone willing to back against Armstrong?

Currently watching Stage 3 into Tours on Eurosport, wonder if Dekker can hold the breakaway together? Doubt it, it's another sprint-off for mine.
Boonen makes it two in a row...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Could people please explain more on cycling to me, the 20 stages, the significance of winning the stages, strategy, every thing you can. I really like watching the races but dont know the nitty gritties of the sport in general and the race in specific.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
I'm willing to back him. It's his last time out and i'm sure he'll be trying to win.
And there was me thinking he'd be deliberately going there to lose.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
And there was me thinking he'd be deliberately going there to lose.
:cool:

Armstrong will only lose if a) he has a bad fall or b) gets sick.

Been a bad time for me on the punt thus far, Backed Botero in the first TT, then missed out on Boonen in the 2nd stage and backed Husvold last night :@. Think i will go with Phonak tonight in the TTT.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
TTT = Team Time Trial.
TT = Time Trial
DSC = Discovery Channel (Armstrongs Team)

CSC, Phonak and DSC are the only possible challengers for this event (After Ullrich's first TT).

Edit: just read that 6 T-Mobile riders got caught in the TT :blink:

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
disapointed McKewen couldnt get up and win the stage yesterday. Secretly (as always) i was cheering for the guys in the breakaway, but when they got caught i thought robbie might have been able to get up and win. Boonen showed hes a quality sprinter unfortunately..

Craig

World Traveller
Bet Armstrong is rueing they let him (Boonen) go given how many wins he has had since he left.

I'm going for McEwen since he is a Queenslander and a Gold Coaster.

Craig

World Traveller
Pratyush said:
Could people please explain more on cycling to me, the 20 stages, the significance of winning the stages, strategy, every thing you can. I really like watching the races but dont know the nitty gritties of the sport in general and the race in specific.
Simple:

The opening week or so is for sprinters (ie Boonen, McEwen etc.) or the guys unlikely to win to pick up the stage wins and possibly the chance to wear either the yellow, green (sprinters which Boonen is wearing) or the polka dot jersey (mountains prize), while for Armstrong and co the main aim to get out of trouble and be there or thre abouts for the overall until we hit the mountains in the second week.

From there the race really begins where the expected main challengers either show that they are up to it or not. People like Boonen or McEwen don't figure for the overall GC, except for the green jersey and stage wins is a good result for them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think what people don't understand the most, is why if someone like McEwen wins 3 or 4 stages in the first 10 days, and the overall competition is for the best total time over all the stages combined, why can't McEwen win it when he finishes first all the time? Excluding the mountain stages, of course.

Even now, the guy who has won two stages isn't winning the yellow jersey, right? And Armstrong, who hasn't figured much in things so far, is only a few seconds off the pace, and beating the guy who has won two stages.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think what people don't understand the most, is why if someone like McEwen wins 3 or 4 stages in the first 10 days, and the overall competition is for the best total time over all the stages combined, why can't McEwen win it when he finishes first all the time? Excluding the mountain stages, of course.

Even now, the guy who has won two stages isn't winning the yellow jersey, right? And Armstrong, who hasn't figured much in things so far, is only a few seconds off the pace, and beating the guy who has won two stages.
its because if the winner of the stage is part of the pelaton they all get the same finishing time until there is a substantial break in the field...

Cloete

International Captain
The reason guys like Armstrong and Zabriskie are up the top is due to the time trial on stage 1. From that the times were done. So the guys who are good on the mountains (the "regulars") just stay in the pelaton and don't lose time.

When sprinters win they either do it on a breakaway or at the line. When it's at the line, as it has been in the last 2 stages, they recieve the same time as the other riders. However the sprinters jersey is done on points. So, unsurprisingly, Boonen is leading in that category.

Can't beleive I've missed this thread though!

I've only really gotten into seriously watching it this year with SBS' live coverage. Previously I would just watch the highlights and while i enjoyed watching it, I didn't really actively follow the progress. It's great to watch :)

Cloete

International Captain
Craig said:
Bet Armstrong is rueing they let him (Boonen) go given how many wins he has had since he left.

I'm going for McEwen since he is a Queenslander and a Gold Coaster.
I can't believe how dumb McEwen is though! What the **** did he do that to O'Grady for?

Definitely deserves the DQ, it was just such an idiotic thing to do :@