• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Le Tour 2005

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
My understanding is that the mountains are always definitive, because you don't have a huge pack of riders all finishing together, but instead small groups of 5 or less most of the time, and the gaps can be very large over the course of a single stage.
Yup. Main reason for that is that air resistance is much lower at the low speeds they're riding at uphill, so the advantage of riding behind other cyclists is much smaller.

Chubb

International Regular
absolutely. In order to win the tour you have to win a mountain stage (unless you're Roger Walkowiak). The mountains is where you gain time on your rivals by breaking away from them. Armstrong usually attacks on the hardest mountain stage, looking to break his opponents. This year that's generally held to be Stage 15 from Lezat-sur-leze to St. Lary Souzan. I have walked up some of those mountains and i can tell you I wouldn't want to cycle them!

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
I agree Neil, Dave Z would still be in Yellow without the crash.

In the mountains look for Disco to set a high pace in the hardest mountain stages, to shake off all the would-bes and leave LA 'fresh' for the final part of the stage (thats the tactic so far for the last 6 years anyways :)).

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
really great stuff by robbie in stage 5, will put the problems of a couple of days behind him, what a champ!

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
I think CSC would've finished a handful of seconds quicker without the spill.
It was touch and go the whole way and I thought they were going to get it with the spill. Still it was very exciting and I must admit I do enjoy watching the TT and TTT.

Craig

World Traveller
broncoman said:
really great stuff by robbie in stage 5, will put the problems of a couple of days behind him, what a champ!
Yeah I agree, I am glad that he did it.

I'm also supporting Allan Davis, the sprinter from Boringberg, he has been doing well for LSW so far, and I hope in the few years he can pick up a stage or two.

Craig

World Traveller
Now we leave the flat stages and start to head to the hills, who is people's tip to win tomorrow? For me I'm banking on Vinokourov.

Chubb

International Regular
A breakaway by a minor climber who won't challenge the CG. I think the main competitors will be happy to sit this one out, it's "only" the Vosges and both Le Grand Ballon and Le Ballon d'Alsace aren't too difficult for pros. The field'll split but I don't think Armstrong will attack too much at this early stage, then again I might be completely wrong. That's the great thing about professional cycling, it's just so unpredictable. You can't really predict a stage winner unless it's a TT because there are so many factors.

I have a feeling today's stage will have a breakaway winner as well, with the C2 climb near the end.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Yeah this one's difficult.

I think Vino's a good tip though. He isn't as good as the "big boys" on the mointains. But I think he'll do it in a breakaway. Perfect stage for him to attack on IMO.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hushovd on the breakaway, that'll be twelve nice green jersey points before he'll calm down on the 2nd-category climb. Excellent.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just a query for those who know cycling better than me, but I heard before the tour that an Australian was fancied as a contender to finish reasonably high up in the overall standings, after he came second in the Tour of Switzerland.

Anybody know who this guy is, and how he's doing? Is it Rogers?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just a query for those who know cycling better than me, but I heard before the tour that an Australian was fancied as a contender to finish reasonably high up in the overall standings, after he came second in the Tour of Switzerland.

Anybody know who this guy is, and how he's doing? Is it Rogers?
Yep, he won three stages there. Then again, Bradley McGee was eighth in the Tour of Switzerland, and he's a sprinter...

Rogers is four minutes and 11 behind Armstrong in 67th.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Rogers peaked quite a bit too early i think (His first TT was terrible by his standards, will wait and see until he gets into the mountains), and McGee is more of an all rounder then a sprinter. Cadel Evens is also an outside chance for a high GC finish.

Jens Voigt is my tip for tonights win.

Craig

World Traveller
What a sprint to the line by Weening - his first tour win and his first as a pro, gets in by a fraction.

I actually cheered when I saw him win (I taped it because I had to be up early this morning).