• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woodbridge calls it quits

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Woodbridge calls it quits
7:22 AM June 30

Todd Woodbridge dealt Australia's Davis Cup planning a major blow overnight when he announced he was retiring after Wimbledon.

The 34-year-old said he took his decision after failing to win a 10th men's doubles title following he and partner Mahesh Bhupathi's defeat in the third round.

His decision to retire means that Australia, who face Argentina in their Davis Cup quarter-final clash in Sydney from July 15-17, will have to find a new combination with the likelihood of Lleyton Hewitt teaming up with Wayne Arthurs.

Mark Philippoussis is carrying an ankle injury which could mean Hewitt and Arthurs playing singles and doubles.

"I have had a good run and I have decided to call it a day," Woodbridge said.

"I planned to play this year but my partnership with Mahesh hasn't worked out quite as I planned.

"I wanted to win a 10th doubles title but that wasn't possible. I had to be fair to the Davis Cup team because they needed to be clear about what they wanted to do."

Woodbridge has won 83 doubles titles including 16 at Grand Slams.

Six of his Wimbledon titles came with compatriot Mark Woodforde (1993-1997 and 2000) as well as three with Jonas Bjorkman (2002-2004).

-AFP
Source: AFP

very sad day for Australian tennis, not only a great tennis player but also a fantastic ambassador for the game, and Australia.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Not greatly talented but very crafty, the Aussie Davis Cup team will miss him alot as now C'Mon and the poo will be the senior members...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
This is massive news Davis Cup-wise, he was a stalwart and ensured that 80% of the time we'd win the doubles. Things suddenly got a lot harder.

Congratulations on a wonderful career, Todd.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geezus, he's 34?!??! I thought he was WAY older. Seems to have been around forever!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
TODD WOODBRIDGE

BIRTHDATE: April 2, 1971

BIRTHPLACE: Sydney, Australia

RESIDENCE: Orlando, USA and Melbourne, Australia

HEIGHT: 177cm

WEIGHT: 75kg

CURRENT ATP DOUBLES ENTRY RANKING: 8

CAREER DOUBLES TITLES: 83

CAREER SINGLES TITLES: 2

1995 – Coral Springs

1997 – Adelaide

CAREER DOUBLES TITLES: 83

CAREER PRIZEMONEY: US$10,076,155

DAVIS CUP DEBUT: 1991

Singles: 5-4

Doubles: 25-7

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
age_master said:
you mean Authurs, the poo will neevr be a senior member, hes not good enough
Experiance wise i was talking about, hopefully if we are lucky we won't see the poo in Davis cup ever again....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
thewizard1o1 said:
Not greatly talented but very crafty, the Aussie Davis Cup team will miss him alot as now C'Mon and the poo will be the senior members...
I presume C'Mon is Mr Hat Violation?

(They really ought to bring that rule in. Anyone wearing a baseball cap the wrong way round to automatically lose the point)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Geezus, he's 34?!??! I thought he was WAY older. Seems to have been around forever!
Same here - remember watching Wimbledon so long ago with the Woodies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I presume C'Mon is Mr Hat Violation?

(They really ought to bring that rule in. Anyone wearing a baseball cap the wrong way round to automatically lose the point)
And those stupid pirate trouser things.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hes a absolute legends, pity he didnt go out with a win but nontheless we gotta pay homage to such a great career, he will be forever remembered for his commitment in playing for Australia all those years and for his achievements especially on the doubles arena where he dominanted with woodford.