• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has a better national soccer team ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
Alternatively we play 4 backs with the wide backs Emerton and Lazaridis playing as wing backs. Then have Grella DMC, Skoko, Brescionao and Cahill MC's and Kewell AMC. It would never happen, but I would love to see it. It'd be near on impossible for anyone to dominate Australia in midfield and it would push the other team out wide.
It would also be so weak at the back that a team playing a direct ball with quick forwards would rip them apart.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
As a Gooner it pains me to admit it, but I think Terry has probably crept ahead of big Sol for the centre-half spot.
Terry should IMO be first name on the team sheet, much better than Ferdinand.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Terry should IMO be first name on the team sheet, much better than Ferdinand.
Defensively I agree, but Rio inspires raptures still 'cos unlike your average English centre-half he can actually control the ball.

But it's Rooney as first name for me tho, closely followed by Fat Frank.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Only once has a South American side won a World Cup in Europe, which is one reason I don't think Argentina will be winning it this time.

England genuinely have their best side in my lifetime and who's to say how far that will carry us come next June?
we can only wonder marc, for me England's best chance of winning any international tournament was at euro 2004 and they unfortunately were knockout out because that stupid refree cancelled Campbell's goal and you know the rest :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
How about this for an England side?

Robinson

-----------------G. Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - A. Cole----------------------------------

------------------------------------Gerrard---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Beckham J. Cole-------------------------------

----------------------------------Lampard--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------Owen --- Rooney---------------------------------------------------------
thats pretty much the best england side at the moment, but i wish i could turn back the clock and have Seaman goal-keeping and Scholes back their instead of Cole. If that could happen i think England would have a superb team going into the WC, but unfortunately that wont be happening :sleep:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
we can only wonder marc, for me England's best chance of winning any international tournament was at euro 2004 and they unfortunately were knockout out because that stupid refree cancelled Campbell's goal and you know the rest :dry:
No, the best chance is 2006.

Playing together for 2 or 3 years as a team, but not over the hill.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Craig said:
How about this for an England side?

Robinson

-----------------G. Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - A. Cole----------------------------------

------------------------------------Gerrard---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Beckham J. Cole-------------------------------

----------------------------------Lampard--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------Owen --- Rooney---------------------------------------------------------
i agree with brumby, i would have terry over campbell, and a fully fit woodgate in form over ferdinand. Also i would have carragher instead of gary neville, other than that then the side is the best england have.

SupaFreak2005

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
and only once has a team called england won the world cup, which is the reason why i think they wont be winning it come next year...
Steds shares your sentiments.

BRAZIL! BRAZIL!
AH HEN TINA! AH HEN TINA!

Cloete

International Captain
TBH I'd love to see Australia playing a 4-5-1 (Basically 4-3-3) against England playing a diamond again. Kewell or Elreich down the left would absolutely rip Neville apart with the aid of Lazaridis, Beckham would be drifting out wide to stop it, we all know how good his tackling is!

3-1 all over again?:D

We'd probably conceede a few, but I'd put my money on Australia in that one no matter what the English say! Just means I'd get better odds :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Methinks you're under-rating Neville somewhat - care to tell us how often he's outplayed Neville in the Premiership?

And if Beckham is in the sort of mood he has been in, nothing would get past him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, the best chance is 2006.

Playing together for 2 or 3 years as a team, but not over the hill.
nah mate i really dont think England have that good a chance to win in Germany. They had a better chance to win an international tournament at euro 2004 for sure

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
A team which gets beaten by an Enlgand team with Kieran Richardson playing for them will progress nowhere
To be fair it was a meaningless friendly and they both were pretty good goals by him. No way Keller could have saved the first one. Then again it would have been one of the saves of the year if anybody had got to it.

I want to know about Michael Carrick? Good enough to be on the squad for Germany '06? Would rather him then Dyer...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
nah mate i really dont think England have that good a chance to win in Germany. They had a better chance to win an international tournament at euro 2004 for sure
How so?

Since then Lampard and Terry have come on leaps and bounds, Robinson has come into goal and looked very solid and less risky (although IMO not as brilliant as James, he's more consistent)

Rooney was 17 then, he'll be 19 and a lot wiser in 2006.

Gerrard is still devloping into a world class midfielder.

Ashley Cole is still improving to being the best left back around.

And Joe Cole is maturing into a very good player.

Add in the continuity of 2 more years playing as a team, and how was 2004 a better chance for us?

We've even got a better climate this time then in 2004 (ie the weather will be more what we're used to than it was in Portugal)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I want to know about Michael Carrick? Good enough to be on the squad for Germany '06? Would rather him then Dyer...
I should say so - a very good passer of the ball - good option to have on the bench as cover for the sitting midfield role.

I would still take Dyer mind, he's got a bit of pace and is versatile (oh, and on PES 4 he did a good job for me when I had to turn to him because Owen was injured!)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SupaFreak2005 said:
Steds shares your sentiments.

BRAZIL! BRAZIL!
AH HEN TINA! AH HEN TINA!
I do...but I want to know how you know that I share those sentiments :wacko:

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I should say so - a very good passer of the ball - good option to have on the bench as cover for the sitting midfield role.

I would still take Dyer mind, he's got a bit of pace and is versatile (oh, and on PES 4 he did a good job for me when I had to turn to him because Owen was injured!)
What about Nicky Butt? Execellent in South Keoria/Japan three years ago, but not so in the last EPL season with Newcastle?
Ditto Hargreaves.