• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has a better national soccer team ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Only once has a South American side won a World Cup in Europe, which is one reason I don't think Argentina will be winning it this time.

England genuinely have their best side in my lifetime and who's to say how far that will carry us come next June?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Only once has a South American side won a World Cup in Europe, which is one reason I don't think Argentina will be winning it this time.

England genuinely have their best side in my lifetime and who's to say how far that will carry us come next June?
and only once has a team called england won the world cup, which is the reason why i think they wont be winning it come next year...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
German 4 - Australia 3

It's funny, in the first half Australia were the better team. Three defensive lapses lead to defensive goals, Aus really can't afford any slip-ups at this level. In the second half Germany showed a bit of class in the second half, but that was such a soft penalty.

Realistically, Aus probably deserved a 2-1 win or a 2-2 draw! Anyway considering the number of players out for us, I think we showed our depth. We should qualify for the WOrld Cup, we'll do it easy with our stars back!
I don't know about that the Germany side is no where near as good as it has been. I would say a team like Colombia are playing better then them right now. If we play a side like that and we defend like we did today we are going to struggle to make the World Cup. Our defence is shocking ATM, we got to improve a lot in that area if we have any chance of making the World Cup. We got some good signs going forward, especially with Kewell, Bres and Vidulka back in the side, but i can't see us getting into the WC with this defence.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
and only once has a team called england won the world cup, which is the reason why i think they wont be winning it come next year...
Which therefore means no side will win the World Cup, because they've each only won it a set number of times!

Simon

marc71178 said:
Which therefore means no side will win the World Cup, because they've each only won it a set number of times!
but using your logic of a South American side only winning once in europe, but yeh, i was just stirring :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On current form i would say Holland would be my pick to win the World Cup, but their is a long time to go. Brazil won the last WC and came into the finals without great form, so it could be anyone, but right know Holland are my choice.

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I don't know about that the Germany side is no where near as good as it has been. I would say a team like Colombia are playing better then them right now. If we play a side like that and we defend like we did today we are going to struggle to make the World Cup. Our defence is shocking ATM, we got to improve a lot in that area if we have any chance of making the World Cup. We got some good signs going forward, especially with Kewell, Bres and Vidulka back in the side, but i can't see us getting into the WC with this defence.
To be fair the team looks completely different without Lazaridis. Popovic and Muscat shouldn't come near the side AFAIC.

If we have our best side, I think Neill and Moore as Central defenders. Then Emerton as right back and Lazaridis as left back. This gives us alot of pace out wide in attack with those two overlapping the wingers. Emerton and Lazaridis are both quick in defence and can slow their play down. Moore and Neill are Australia's best defenders and most of the trouble arose today thanks to Popovic rather than Moore.

That would be a much better defence. Then you have Bresciano or Elreich on the right wing. Chipperfield plays left wing. Kewell, Skoko and Cahill play middle, preferably 2 MC's and an AMC. Then Viduka plays the lone striker. But if Kewell is AMC he should be up there too. The widemen will most likely be playing as true wingers anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Im glad there is someone who agrees with me that Emerton should play at right back, it improve the balance of the side a lot. I agree about Lazaridis as well, but i can't see Frank playing Emerton at right back, so we probably still have Popovic in the side. Personally i would have Grella in a defensive mid position and have Cahill out wide on the right and keep Ahmad and Chippers on the bench.

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Im glad there is someone who agrees with me that Emerton should play at right back, it improve the balance of the side a lot. I agree about Lazaridis as well, but i can't see Frank playing Emerton at right back, so we probably still have Popovic in the side. Personally i would have Grella in a defensive mid position and have Cahill out wide on the right and keep Ahmad and Chippers on the bench.
Kewell has to have a central role though. There's no way Australia can afford to have him play out wide. I was thinking Skoko DMC but I couldn't really see having Cahill and Kewell MC, one of those two has to play AMC to help Viduka out. Viduka holds the ball up very well and he and Kewell work brilliantly together. Cahill could probably play out on the right though and then have Skoko and Grella/Bresciano playing either MC's or DMC's. That leaves the left open for Elreich or Chipperfield.

Alternatively we play 4 backs with the wide backs Emerton and Lazaridis playing as wing backs. Then have Grella DMC, Skoko, Brescionao and Cahill MC's and Kewell AMC. It would never happen, but I would love to see it. It'd be near on impossible for anyone to dominate Australia in midfield and it would push the other team out wide. If Lazaridis and Emmo get back then they should really just show them the touchline and Australia should be able to get more men inside the box anyway. Would never happen, but would be worth a try and I'd be all for it if it did happen :D

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Kewell has to have a central role though. There's no way Australia can afford to have him play out wide. I was thinking Skoko DMC but I couldn't really see having Cahill and Kewell MC, one of those two has to play AMC to help Viduka out. Viduka holds the ball up very well and he and Kewell work brilliantly together. Cahill could probably play out on the right though and then have Skoko and Grella/Bresciano playing either MC's or DMC's. That leaves the left open for Elreich or Chipperfield.

Alternatively we play 4 backs with the wide backs Emerton and Lazaridis playing as wing backs. Then have Grella DMC, Skoko, Brescionao and Cahill MC's and Kewell AMC. It would never happen, but I would love to see it. It'd be near on impossible for anyone to dominate Australia in midfield and it would push the other team out wide. If Lazaridis and Emmo get back then they should really just show them the touchline and Australia should be able to get more men inside the box anyway. Would never happen, but would be worth a try and I'd be all for it if it did happen :D
Well if your going to play a 4-3-3 then the two attacking wingers have to get into the box and support Vidulka, this something Chipperfield doesn't do enough. Bresciano and Kewell can swap playing wide and through the centre, they are both left footers. I don't think Skoko defence is good enough to play as a DM. But the second option of playing Emerton and Lazaridis as wing backs and having three CM and Kewell playing as a AMC is probably our best option. But in all honesty i can't see Frank playing Emerton at right back and him dropping Popovic, Muscat, Vidmar or even Tiatto if fit.

Simon

superkingdave said:
Kewell was just one of the worst players in the Premiership this season, should he still be in the side?
in form hes still our best plyer without doubt. if hes fit he plays for australia, no question.

Cloete

International Captain
superkingdave said:
but he's not been in form for at least 2 years
Every time he's played for Australia he's stepped up. This will be a huge test though considering how long he's been out. Like Simon said though, if he's fit he plays!

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
German 4 - Australia 3

It's funny, in the first half Australia were the better team. Three defensive lapses lead to defensive goals, Aus really can't afford any slip-ups at this level. In the second half Germany showed a bit of class in the second half, but that was such a soft penalty.

Realistically, Aus probably deserved a 2-1 win or a 2-2 draw! Anyway considering the number of players out for us, I think we showed our depth. We should qualify for the WOrld Cup, we'll do it easy with our stars back!
How big of a dive was it by that German guy (didn't see the match only the highlights on the news) that got them the penalty for their 3rd goal.

Craig

World Traveller
How about this for an England side?

Robinson

-----------------G. Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - A. Cole----------------------------------

------------------------------------Gerrard---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Beckham J. Cole-------------------------------

----------------------------------Lampard--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------Owen --- Rooney---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
How about this for an England side?

Robinson

-----------------G. Neville - Ferdinand - Campbell - A. Cole----------------------------------

------------------------------------Gerrard---------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Beckham J. Cole-------------------------------

----------------------------------Lampard--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------Owen --- Rooney---------------------------------------------------------
As a Gooner it pains me to admit it, but I think Terry has probably crept ahead of big Sol for the centre-half spot.

Aside from that I'd say you're pretty much on the money.

Craig

World Traveller
What about the fourth striker has got me thinking? With Owen, Rooney and Defoe certainties, barring injury or suspension (apart from Rooney that doesn't seem likely) who will it be? Crouch and Johnson will need to be at new clubs in the top flight, and Crouch is an ok player, but not England standard. Andy Johnson has a lot to prove next season, and there's Alan Smith, a bench guy at the most. Ditto Heskey (I must admit was good for Birmingham) and Vassell.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
the United States will progress further than England. :D
A team which gets beaten by an Enlgand team with Kieran Richardson playing for them will progress nowhere

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
If we have our best side, I think Neill and Moore as Central defenders. Then Emerton as right back and Lazaridis as left back.
And I thought Brazil's full back's were dodgy...