• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Women's Football Euro 2005 Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The men's Euro had a whole forum, so in the name of equality (and because it's actually something I care about), I'd like to start a thread. Norway are playing Germany at the Halliwell-Jones stadium in an hour and a half, should be a decent game - hopefully we'll scrape a point and then beat France and Italy to reach the semis.

England won 3-2 over Finland yesterday...though they let 2-0 at half-time slip to 2-2 after 89 minutes. How the Finns managed to mess that one up I dunno... :huh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
England won 3-2 over Finland yesterday...though they let 2-0 at half-time slip to 2-2 after 89 minutes.
It wasn't Rachel Brown's fault ;) :ph34r:
...and don't anyone dare try and say anything different :@

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
andyc said:
who are the favourites?
Germany by a landslide, I reckon. England could do something with home advantage, but they weren't impressive in the second half against the weakest side in the comp, Finland. Sweden, Denmark and Norway are outsiders.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
1-0 to Germany after 65 minutes. Good goal, but Rachel Brown would have easily saved it

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
1-0 to Germany after 65 minutes. Good goal, but Rachel Brown would have easily saved it
Think that's roughly the opposite of how saw it. Appalling defending by Paulsen, and then a really nice shot off the post. Not even Buffon would have saved that one.

Ah well, lost 0-1, now Norway have to beat France and Italy to get to the semis. Which they should do if they play like this and score occasionally.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
hehehehe. Look at the uncanny similarities I've found between two people:

Norwegian striker, Stine Frantzen

St Helens Rugby League star and ultimate legend ever, Jamie Lyon

Piper

International Captain
Granted the only womens football i watch is when i watch my sister play... but the England team is really good and i hope they do really well.. i can see them winning it

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
steds said:
I can't but I can see Rachel Brown being her usual amazing self
That's six posts you've made in this thread, Sean. In four of them you've mentioned a certain goalkeeper from Burnley...

Piper

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
That's six posts you've made in this thread, Sean. In four of them you've mentioned a certain goalkeeper from Burnley...
I think he has a little crush on her :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I can't help it if she's fantabulously exellent :happy: (plus she's one of only 3 ladies in the England who I know who they are when I look at them, along with fellow Everton players Rachel Unitt and Fara Williams :ph34r: )

EDIT: Although I'd like to point out that it's mainly because she's amazingly fantabulously exellent :happy:

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
if she's from Burnley you've got no chance Steds, they don't take kindly to outsiders.

Watched the first half of the match yesterday. England were pretty awful, they seemed to have one decent player, Kelly Smith, who was a class above the rest of the side

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
if she's from Burnley you've got no chance Steds, they don't take kindly to outsiders.

Watched the first half of the match yesterday. England were pretty awful, they seemed to have one decent player, Kelly Smith, who was a class above the rest of the side
thats is so true dave, Smith seems pretty good, dont think england have much of chance unlike their male counterparts had last year, i am not paying much attention to this competition but i think Germany is yards ahead of all sides and should win