• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Sevens in the Olympics

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
And what have been the margins of victory - not dominant by a long stretch of the imagination, in effect by the winning of just 1 game for each of the last 2 series - to then suggest dominance on that basis and that you'd walk off with Gold is wrong.

No it is not wrong. It would be wrong if NZ was losing but they continualy win. They have never been matched since the world series was introduced and i don't care what you say winning a tournament five years a row (about to become 6) is dominance.

Any person with half a rugby brain knows that since profesionalism NZ have been the masters at sevens and that with a full strength team would carve up at the Olympics as has been the case when we send stronger teams to the Commenwealth games.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Haha true but at the end of the day it is their decisions and Aus and NZ would have given those players a great life and therefore they want to play for them to repay the country.

I don't blame the young pacific boys for wanting to become All Blacks. If they live here and they make that choice then it is fine by me.

Different story if it is blatent poaching and they don't live here
I know the IRB has now changed the rules to prevent players playing full internationals for more than one country, but NZ used to be terrible for poaching players. IIRC Michael Jones debuted for (as was) Western Samoa before becoming ABs legend. Ieremia & Frank Bunce were others.

& Jamie Salmon played for us & you!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
No it is not wrong. It would be wrong if NZ was losing but they continualy win. They have never been matched since the world series was introduced and i don't care what you say winning a tournament five years a row (about to become 6) is dominance.
Yes, if you win every Tournament in every series - but the margins of victory over the last 2 series is literally 1 game on each occasion - that is not dominance.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too.... :p
Well, they all wannabe a wallaby. :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too.... :p
I do hope you're joking, BoyBrumby - I always had the impression you were an intelligent poster.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I know the IRB has now changed the rules to prevent players playing full internationals for more than one country, but NZ used to be terrible for poaching players. IIRC Michael Jones debuted for (as was) Western Samoa before becoming ABs legend. Ieremia & Frank Bunce were others.

& Jamie Salmon played for us & you!
Michael Jones - born in Auckland. He was already acknowledged as a rising star for Auckland, and a future All Black when he played for Western Samoa in 1996. To suggest Jones was poached by the All Blacks is so laughable I almost forgot to laugh.

Frank Bunce - born in Auckland. He hadn't had his chances at higher levels due to warming the bench for Auckland. Once he got the chance to shine for North Harbour and for Western Samoa, his abilities were brought to the attention of incoming ABs coach, Laurie Mains. Do you think Bunce was forced to pay for the All Blacks?

Ieremia - born in Apia, Samoa, but came to the fore playing rep rugby for Wellington, before playing for Western Samoa.

Here's a stat you may not be aware of - there were more New Zealand-born players in the Samoan team at the RWC in 2003 than Samoan-born players. Now who's poaching?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
I do hope you're joking, BoyBrumby - I always had the impression you were an intelligent poster.
Yep, hence the :p

Before the IRB tightened up the qualifying criteria there was a lot of to-ing & fro-ing between countries. Stephen Bachop played for Samoa before & after his stint with the ABs & even once played against his bro, who was playing for Japan in the 99 WC.

I do think that the larger Unions need to look after the smaller ones or Union at international level will become as shallow as League. A Super 14 place to the Islands, Japan or Argentina would've been a start. Instead SA now have 5 teams when they really struggle to field 4 competitive teams.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Yes, if you win every Tournament in every series - but the margins of victory over the last 2 series is literally 1 game on each occasion - that is not dominance.
That is not dominance that would be freakish given the nature of 7's rugby.

At the end of the day NZ have never lost the world sevens circuit and have won gold in both of the commenwealth games.

THAT IS DOMINANCE.

It would be like a football team winning a priemership five times in a row. Does it matter by how much they won it? No at the end of the day they are champions for 5 consecutive years.

How can you honestly say that NZ aren't the dominant force in sevens rugby?

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Do you think Bunce was forced to pay for the All Blacks?
Geez I hope not, because now that they're professional and all, it could get bloody expensive!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
All I am saying is that some people are going on like they'd only have to turn up to win it, which is not true.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
All I am saying is that some people are going on like they'd only have to turn up to win it, which is not true.

Fair point because the nature of sevens means that anyone can beat anyone on their day.

But NZ would be strong faviourtes

ripper868

International Coach
Good to see this has happened, Sevens is a fantastic sport to watch and the Olympics will give it massive exposure to new audiences. The Aussie Sevens team is finding some form this year as well which bodes well. Expect NZ to win but Fiji, Samoa, Aus, South Africa and England have all shown good things this year. Haven't seen Ireland with a sevens team though, surprised they don't have a program tbh.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't know it was at the Olympics for London?

Wonder who the countries of the world will select for their teams?

ripper868

International Coach
Didn't know it was at the Olympics for London?

Wonder who the countries of the world will select for their teams?
Yeah my bad, it makes it's debut in 2016 - jumped the gun a little...current form probably not much of an indicator then!