Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Rugby Sevens in the Olympics

  1. #16
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    And marc71178 I just looked at the overall standings this year and it made quite interesting reading. To date NZ have won all but 1 of the tournaments on the circuit (not including the World Cup) this year

  2. #17
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby

    It'd be good from a spreading the gospel of Rugby point of view, countries where there is a sizable minority into Rugby but who've been left behind by professionalism (USA, Canada, Romania) might invest in it a bit more if it became an Olympic sport.
    And don't forget the pacific nations.. although they don't have much money to invest in it, it would still be a great opportunity for their naturally gifted athletes to shine on the world stage.

    It would enhance Rugbys image IMO and expand the game. Emerging nations like Kenya would be right into it

  3. #18
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    And don't forget the pacific nations.. although they don't have much money to invest in it, it would still be a great opportunity for their naturally gifted athletes to shine on the world stage.

    It would enhance Rugbys image IMO and expand the game. Emerging nations like Kenya would be right into it
    I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  4. #19
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    I don't know when the World Sevens tour was introduced.. maybe five years ago possibly more. Winning it every year means you are fairly dominant marc71178
    And what have been the margins of victory - not dominant by a long stretch of the imagination, in effect by the winning of just 1 game for each of the last 2 series - to then suggest dominance on that basis and that you'd walk off with Gold is wrong.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.


  5. #20
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too....

    Haha true but at the end of the day it is their decisions and Aus and NZ would have given those players a great life and therefore they want to play for them to repay the country.

    I don't blame the young pacific boys for wanting to become All Blacks. If they live here and they make that choice then it is fine by me.

    Different story if it is blatent poaching and they don't live here

  6. #21
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    And what have been the margins of victory - not dominant by a long stretch of the imagination, in effect by the winning of just 1 game for each of the last 2 series - to then suggest dominance on that basis and that you'd walk off with Gold is wrong.

    No it is not wrong. It would be wrong if NZ was losing but they continualy win. They have never been matched since the world series was introduced and i don't care what you say winning a tournament five years a row (about to become 6) is dominance.

    Any person with half a rugby brain knows that since profesionalism NZ have been the masters at sevens and that with a full strength team would carve up at the Olympics as has been the case when we send stronger teams to the Commenwealth games.

  7. #22
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Haha true but at the end of the day it is their decisions and Aus and NZ would have given those players a great life and therefore they want to play for them to repay the country.

    I don't blame the young pacific boys for wanting to become All Blacks. If they live here and they make that choice then it is fine by me.

    Different story if it is blatent poaching and they don't live here
    I know the IRB has now changed the rules to prevent players playing full internationals for more than one country, but NZ used to be terrible for poaching players. IIRC Michael Jones debuted for (as was) Western Samoa before becoming ABs legend. Ieremia & Frank Bunce were others.

    & Jamie Salmon played for us & you!

  8. #23
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    No it is not wrong. It would be wrong if NZ was losing but they continualy win. They have never been matched since the world series was introduced and i don't care what you say winning a tournament five years a row (about to become 6) is dominance.
    Yes, if you win every Tournament in every series - but the margins of victory over the last 2 series is literally 1 game on each occasion - that is not dominance.

  9. #24
    International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Aust
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too....
    Well, they all wannabe a wallaby.
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaFreak2005
    Well Simon and Xavier hit on all the females but the ladies all want Kenny :naughty:
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    all 3 of them?

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,669
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think Oz & NZ not harvesting off the Pacific Islands' best players might help them to be more competitive too....
    I do hope you're joking, BoyBrumby - I always had the impression you were an intelligent poster.

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Deep, deep south
    Posts
    16,669
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I know the IRB has now changed the rules to prevent players playing full internationals for more than one country, but NZ used to be terrible for poaching players. IIRC Michael Jones debuted for (as was) Western Samoa before becoming ABs legend. Ieremia & Frank Bunce were others.

    & Jamie Salmon played for us & you!
    Michael Jones - born in Auckland. He was already acknowledged as a rising star for Auckland, and a future All Black when he played for Western Samoa in 1996. To suggest Jones was poached by the All Blacks is so laughable I almost forgot to laugh.


    Frank Bunce - born in Auckland. He hadn't had his chances at higher levels due to warming the bench for Auckland. Once he got the chance to shine for North Harbour and for Western Samoa, his abilities were brought to the attention of incoming ABs coach, Laurie Mains. Do you think Bunce was forced to pay for the All Blacks?

    Ieremia - born in Apia, Samoa, but came to the fore playing rep rugby for Wellington, before playing for Western Samoa.

    Here's a stat you may not be aware of - there were more New Zealand-born players in the Samoan team at the RWC in 2003 than Samoan-born players. Now who's poaching?

  12. #27
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    I do hope you're joking, BoyBrumby - I always had the impression you were an intelligent poster.
    Yep, hence the

    Before the IRB tightened up the qualifying criteria there was a lot of to-ing & fro-ing between countries. Stephen Bachop played for Samoa before & after his stint with the ABs & even once played against his bro, who was playing for Japan in the 99 WC.

    I do think that the larger Unions need to look after the smaller ones or Union at international level will become as shallow as League. A Super 14 place to the Islands, Japan or Argentina would've been a start. Instead SA now have 5 teams when they really struggle to field 4 competitive teams.

  13. #28
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Yes, if you win every Tournament in every series - but the margins of victory over the last 2 series is literally 1 game on each occasion - that is not dominance.
    That is not dominance that would be freakish given the nature of 7's rugby.

    At the end of the day NZ have never lost the world sevens circuit and have won gold in both of the commenwealth games.

    THAT IS DOMINANCE.

    It would be like a football team winning a priemership five times in a row. Does it matter by how much they won it? No at the end of the day they are champions for 5 consecutive years.

    How can you honestly say that NZ aren't the dominant force in sevens rugby?

  14. #29
    International Vice-Captain KennyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Aust
    Posts
    4,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    Do you think Bunce was forced to pay for the All Blacks?
    Geez I hope not, because now that they're professional and all, it could get bloody expensive!

  15. #30
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    All I am saying is that some people are going on like they'd only have to turn up to win it, which is not true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Official Rugby Thread
    By KennyD in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 3922
    Last Post: Yesterday, 05:39 PM
  2. Rugby League Simulators
    By Tim in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 31-08-2008, 08:22 PM
  3. The Super 12 is coming - and so is Fantasy Rugby!
    By bryce in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 31-05-2005, 12:22 AM
  4. Lords Super 12 Rugby Prediction Comp!!
    By lord_of_darkness in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 365
    Last Post: 29-05-2005, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •