• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 'Liverpool FC' Thread

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
This,from a few days back,from another thread...
Jono said:
Can't really argue with you there, I still like him. Quite a big fan of Henman's, but I'd never bank on him winning one, or even say the words "Henman can win this major".
nikhil1772 said:
A big fan,huh??? with those words ending your post...weird
Jono said:
Yes. Its called being a realist.He's aged now, and I don't see it happening.
nikhil1772 said:
Realist...hmm...well I hate being that...esp. when Tim Henman,Indian Cricket Team and Liverpool FC are playing...
In the wave of immense emotions and happiness I'd just like to conclude here that...

Being realist is just an option.You back your side no matter what...and the pride that goes with it is simply out-of-the-world when you are supporting anybody through their ups and downs...

Back to the title of the thread...this thread is all about Liverpool FC and us-the fans...
The Aura and the pride that goes with the Liverpool club and the fans is too big for any other club...No matter what the Liverpool fans were all along there supporting their players all the way through inspite of the dismal premiership season and all...and we have regained our glory...

'The Trophy belongs to the fans as much as the players'... -Steven Gerrard

Come,share The Pride Of Merseyside...

Agent TBY

International Captain
As much as i hate to admit it,I'm actually pretty happy that Liverpool won.The fact that they got through against all odds,and to do it in the way they did,is quite simply amazing.

Saying that,I would've been really ****ed off if had cost Everton its CL spot.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Everton deserves to be in CL alright,but depriving Liverpool now of CL spot next year will be madness...

Besides whats the big deal...have 5 English sides in the CL :D

Agent TBY

International Captain
nikhil1772 said:
Everton deserves to be in CL alright,but depriving Liverpool now of CL spot next year will be madness...

Agreed,atleast give Liverpool the chance to qualify.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i dont agree liverpool should be given a cl spot, imo they arent more deserving of being there than a side that qualified. because they have to take someone's spot if they get in, even if it is that of the Andoran champions in the first round of qualifying or something...
they should be in the uefa cup, they earnt that spot, they can stay there...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't agree, I find it ridiculous that the Champion side cannot play yet a pokey little club from Lichenstein can qualify and most likely go out in the 1st round of qualifying anyway.

Im not a huge fan of Liverpool so there's no bias there, but I do think that the Champion team should get automatic qualification for the next seasons draw.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Tim said:
Im not a huge fan of Liverpool so there's no bias there, but I do think that the Champion team should get automatic qualification for the next seasons draw.
Automatic qualification would be a huge call,it cannot be made because they didn't perform well enough in the league,and there are other teams who did better than them but still have to qualify.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nikhil1772 said:
I think the FA will argue that if a country has 3 entries and a side wins it but doesn't qualify from the top 3, UEFA give an extra spot, so why shouldn't it count at this time?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I think the FA will argue that if a country has 3 entries and a side wins it but doesn't qualify from the top 3, UEFA give an extra spot, so why shouldn't it count at this time?
and Uefa will argue that precedent was set when Real Madrid took Real Zaragoza's spot when they won it but didn't qualify.

The UEFA man on SSN said, no more that 4 teams from any country will be in the Champions league next season, Liverpool will play in the UEFA cup

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, another team doesn't have to miss out, all UEFA need to do is change the number of entrants at each Qualifying Round.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Seems a lot of trouble to go through for a team that didn't deserve to qualify based on league performances.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
roseboy64 said:
Seems a lot of trouble to go through for a team that didn't deserve to qualify based on league performances.
'didn't deserve to qualify'?...get that deserve out of your line...They WON the Champions League...

Cloete

International Captain
nikhil1772 said:
'didn't deserve to qualify'?...get that deserve out of your line...They WON the Champions League...
Yes. Which is a tournament for teams who win their country's league or, if it's a league of top standard, do very well in it. They don't have to go and change the rules just because a team who won't qualify for it next season won it. Those are the rules, they couldn't manage to beat English teams so therefore they don't deserve another chance at the CL next season.

In saying that, credit to them, they played erally well and I was right behind them the whole time.

Blaze

Banned
I think it is kind of wrong not giving the defending champion a chance to defend their crown but thats just my opinion

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Oh the irony of that coming from a Man United fan.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Cloete said:
Yes. Which is a tournament for teams who win their country's league or, if it's a league of top standard, do very well in it. They don't have to go and change the rules just because a team who won't qualify for it next season won it. Those are the rules, they couldn't manage to beat English teams so therefore they don't deserve another chance at the CL next season.

In saying that, credit to them, they played erally well and I was right behind them the whole time.
The bottomline is the best teams in Europe should get to compete in the CL and Liverpool won it so they certainly DESERVE to be in the CL as they have proved they are one of the top teams in Europe...

...and in any case or in any sport in the world,never the rules laid down are permanent,they are meant to be altered at some point or the other.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
I think it is kind of wrong not giving the defending champion a chance to defend their crown but thats just my opinion
Well you are certainly of the very correct opinion,the CL next year would have no meaning at all if the champions dont get to defend their title,heck its true for any other sport or tournament.

Craig

World Traveller
roseboy64 said:
If it was a true Champions League, United wouldn't be there. I know Inter wouldnn't be there, but if they keep playing like this next season, then the Serie A can't be too far away.

As for Liverpool winning, I was really really happy they won. Apart from the fact threy were up against Milan, but also because they were the underdogs.

Hehe, what is it with Milan throughing away good leads? 4-1 against Deportivo, nearly losing to PSV, losing the Serie A to Juventus, by throwing away a 3-1 lead against Palermo last week to draw 3-3.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
In fact back in the day IIRC in the days when only the Champions qualified, Liverpool did get in to the comp having won it the previous year, Forest won the league and they played each other in the first round the next season. Forest won and went on to win the European cup, this was in the middle of the patch where English teams won the European cup 6 years running