• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2005 Lions tour of New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Only 2 weeks or so until the first match against Bay of Plenty in Rotorua.
The Lions are playing Argentina at Cardiff this week but they can be excused for having one eye on heading down south.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Lions to win all gams aside from two of the tests, and maybe the match against NZ Maori.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
Lions to win all gams aside from two of the tests, and maybe the match against NZ Maori.

You rekon?

I think that at least one province will win a match against the mid week team

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
I wish the tour would hurry up and start. The media have been hyping it endlessly for the last 6 months and I just wish we could have some real news about actual games rather than all the ******** we get - "The Lions arrive in only 2 months and the big question is whether they need their team sock-folder"

I'll watch the games and everything but I've got little interest in the rest of the rubbish which comes with rugby over here.

Blaze

Banned
username1234 said:
?

I think the lions will struggle to beat auckland,canterbury, wellington they will be lucky to defeat bay of plenty.

I don't think they are playing Canterbury

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
username1234 said:
?

I think the lions will struggle to beat auckland,canterbury, wellington they will be lucky to defeat bay of plenty.
I was pointing out the type of news we get, not the actual time until they arrive. I'm well aware that its not actually 2 months.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a bit disappointed The Lions won't go against NZ's Super 12 teams, nowadays they're obviously where the strength of NZ's Rugby lies. With the top 120 or so players distributed amongst them they'd all give The Lions a very stiff work out. Unfortunately I can't see the provinces doing that. As I understand it a lot of the provincial players are semi-pro, so I can't see them living with The Lions over 80.

Back in '93 several of the provinces actually beat The Lions, although not The Maoris funnily enough.

As for the tests I'm going 2-1 NZ at this point, but hope to be proved very wrong over the coming weeks. Jonny & big Rich Hill being fit are big bonuses for us & I'm pleased Cueto has been added to the squad, he should never have been omitted in the first place. Leicester's performance against Wasps depressed me no end tho, as they had about 8 Lions in their squad.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Its going to be a good tour.. Lotsa poms are heading into town by the loads.. heading down to the pubs will be fun and pom girls :)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Whoever thinks one of the midweek teams is going to knock over the Lions is not far short of insane.

04 Jun Bay of Plenty v Lions, Rotorua - Bay of Plenty will be missing Glen Jackson badly - even with the introduction of Murray Williams at 10. Bear in mind it will be the BOP's first match together after a couple of training sessions each week starting this week probably. Lions by 20-30

08 Jun Taranaki v Lions, New Plymouth - The 'Naki team has always prided itself on a strong foward pack. With players like Gordy Slater still about, there will be some semblance of that, but once again, the lack of a quality 10 (with Brock James not returning) will be a big mark against them. Lions by 20-30 again.

11 Jun NZ Maori v Lions, Hamilton - while I suggested the Maori side could win this, I'm going to stick with the Lions. We rather overestimated the ability of the Maori team in '03 before they went down to England, and, despite Matt Te Pou's overtures, I think the Lions should take this by 10 or so.

15 Jun Wellington v Lions, Wellington - The Wellington Lions may have been a chance if they had their All Blacks, but they're likely to be missing Umaga, Collins, So'olialo, Conrad Smith and maybe even Piri Weepu, which is essentially the heart of that side. Lions by 15-20.

18 Jun Otago v Lions, Dunedin 7:10 pm - my beloved Otago side will be up against it, although not as affected by All Black call-ups. Hayman and Oliver's unavailability will leave a huge hole in our front row, but the rest of the team will be sold, nothing more. Lions (first side after all) by 25-30.

21 Jun Southland v Lions, Invercargill - I'll be at this game (as well as the Otago match), but I'm not expecting much from the Stags. They're really only on the itinerary so Tourism New Zealand gets a few of the fans heading up through Queenstown. Lions by as much as 50.

25 Jun All Blacks v Lions, Christchurch 7:10 pm - ABs to win this by 10. Why? Because I said so.

28 Jun Manawatu v Lions, Palmerston North - this'll be a romp of mammoth proportions. A mid-table second division side taking on some of the better players of four countries. If the dew stays away, I predict we could see the Lions post 80.

02 Jul All Blacks v Lions, Wellington - because the world loves a cliffhanger/deciding match, the All Blacks will lose this. Our record at the Caketin (Westpac Stadium) isn't flash either. Lions by 5.

05 Jul Auckland v Lions, Auckland 7:10 pm - once again, unavailability will remove the competitiveness out of this match as I believe most matches from the Wellington match onwards will see the ABs in camp. Lions by 15-20.

09 Jul All Blacks v Lions, Auckland - ABs to unleash in the third test, and take it out by about 25. :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Eden Park is going to be an absolute shambles. Im absolutely certain that by kick-off for both the Auckland & AB's games that half the crowd will still be trying to get in.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman.. I can see your point but it all really depends on who gets selected for the All Blacks. I think that Otago, Wellington the Maoris and Auckland are all chances.

My tip would be that Auckland will knock the Lions over because of their depth.. even though they will probably play ****e in the NPC

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering the Maori side has the opportunity now of selecting current All Blacks, they probably have the best chance of toppling the Lions.
I can't see Auckland doing it the way they have been playing recently.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Voltman.. I can see your point but it all really depends on who gets selected for the All Blacks. I think that Otago, Wellington the Maoris and Auckland are all chances.

My tip would be that Auckland will knock the Lions over because of their depth.. even though they will probably play ****e in the NPC
Based on? Another rumour floating around is the Auckland side isn't allowed any Super 12 players in the side, on request from Clive Woodwhinge, as the Auckland match was a late addition to the itinerary.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
Based on? Another rumour floating around is the Auckland side isn't allowed any Super 12 players in the side, on request from Clive Woodwhinge, as the Auckland match was a late addition to the itinerary.

I just think that they will have a strong enough lineup that if they play to their potential they will give the Lions a hurry up.

I think its a real shame the Waikato didn't get a game