• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2005 Lions tour of New Zealand

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
My guess is Graham Henry will play different players for each Test to give all the players a chance to show their best, and that way he will be able to bring out the best in them , rather than settle on the same Team for all 3 tests !!

I do however feel sorry for Marshall who should be in the squad as the best half back in NZ , but for the fact he is on the wrong end of his career and All Black future.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Saw the Lions Arrive at Auckland on TV news. Didn't seem to have too many people there !! :D

Blaze

Banned
JASON said:
My guess is Graham Henry will play different players for each Test to give all the players a chance to show their best, and that way he will be able to bring out the best in them , rather than settle on the same Team for all 3 tests !!

I do however feel sorry for Marshall who should be in the squad as the best half back in NZ , but for the fact he is on the wrong end of his career and All Black future.

Are you drunk? I just read that and cracked up laughing. There may be one or two changes from test to test depending on player form and results but he won't pick a completly different team from one week to the next. Consistancy in selection is a key for a series like this.

Marshall will be in the all blacks. What makes you think he won't be?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Are you drunk? I just read that and cracked up laughing. There may be one or two changes from test to test depending on player form and results but he won't pick a completly different team from one week to the next. Consistancy in selection is a key for a series like this.

Marshall will be in the all blacks. What makes you think he won't be?
I think JASON has a point - the Lions series is just a training run warm-up before the serious business of the Tri Nations.

:p

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
I think JASON has a point - the Lions series is just a training run warm-up before the serious business of the Tri Nations.

:p

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Sorry Jase

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still wondering what's going on with this Henry/Marshall business.

Firstly, why was Marshall so concerned about not being contacted by the selectors? Henry, Hansen and Smith made it abundantly clear aside from a visit to each of the franchises at the beginning of the season, they were leaving the players to their own devices until after the Super 12 was over.

There has been the odd exception - such as Henry popping under the grandstand at Carisbrook to check on Oliver's injury - but that's about it.

Does Meg Ryan need mollycoddling?

Blaze

Banned
It is typical Marshall though.. To be honest although he would be a loss if he didn't play against the Lions I think it would be a good thing for NZ rugby long term because Kelleher (who I believe is a very good player) would get the experience against the Lions and would firmly establish himself going forward to the world cup.

Marshall needs to pull his head in and realise that the game is much bigger than him

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Kelleher, has a tendency from what I have observed to mess up on the big occasions and found wanting or making too many mistakes just when the Team needed to raise his game. Although at Stade-De France last year he did perform well by all accounts.

Blaze

Banned
JASON said:
Kelleher, has a tendency from what I have observed to mess up on the big occasions and found wanting or making too many mistakes just when the Team needed to raise his game. Although at Stade-De France last year he did perform well by all accounts.

It is true that he was the half back against France in the 99 world cup and he came on early against Australia in the semi in 03 but he cannot be blamed for either loss. Which big occasions are you refering to?

He had an outstanding game against France at the end of last year and I personally prefer him as a half back over Marshall due to his quicker distribution which compliments our greatest strength (having the best outside backs in the world) but I would pick Marshall agaisnt the Lions because he will be more suited to combat the tight style of rugby that the Lions are going to play.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lions Team For Bay of Plenty

It's pretty strong. A fair few included who have serious aspirations to the test XV. Shanklin on the wing is an interesting one. With Cueto on the other SCW has two 6' plus wings, maybe a hint towards the size advantage NZ would have there if Robinson & Williams played there. Or maybe just a hint that Robinson is joining the tour late & Williams played on Monday!

Test probables (IMHO) in italics.

British & Irish Lions: Josh Lewsey; Mark Cueto, Brian O'Driscoll (capt), Gavin Henson, Tom Shanklin; Ronan O'Gara, Dwayne Peel; Gethin Jenkins, Gordon Bulloch, Matt Stevens, Paul O'Connell, Ben Kay, Richard Hill, Martyn Williams, Lawrence Dallaglio.

Replacements: Steve Thompson, Andrew Sheridan, Malcolm O'Kelly, Martin Corry, Matt Dawson, Charlie Hodgson, Gordon D'Arcy.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I think Ben Kay has a decent chance of being in the Test side.

In other news...Mains blasts 'worst Lions team'

I thought the Aussies had a monopoly on this sort of talk? :p

"It is abundantly clear that this is the worst Lions team to arrive in New Zealand that I can remember," Mains wrote in a column for the Sunday News.

"I'm absolutely convinced it will be 3-0 and the All Blacks will succeed in this series," said Mitchell.

"in terms of an abundance of world-class players they fall woefully short."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Three-nil isn't an impossibility (sadly :( ), but I guess you've gotta expect this kinda stuff. I think SCW said The Lions are taking on a whole country.

& big Loz is very far from a spent force, he was absolutely massive for Wasps in the Prem final.

shaka

International Regular
Does anybody think Sivivatu stopped the defender during Howlett's try? He looked as if he sprinted, then slowed down and then went left to tackle the defender trying to get to the ball?

BTW I am aware it is unimportant

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sivivatu will rip the Lions apart if he gets into open space..he is incredible.
If anybody thought Rokocoko was awesome when he's in form then I think Sivivatu could take it to a new level.

Blaze

Banned
All Black squad for fiji

Sosene Anesi, Dan Carter, Jerry Collins, Doug Howlett, Chris Jack, Byron Kelleher, Richie McCaw, Justin Marshall, Aaron Mauger, Keven Mealamu, Mils Muliaina, Ma’a Nonu, James Ryan, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Greg Somerville, Rodney So’oialo, Campbell Johnstone, Mose Tuiali’I, Tana Umaga (Captain), Ali Williams, Tony Woodcock, Derren Witcombe.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Campbell Johnstone is the intriguing one for me...he hardly plays for the Crusaders!

shaka

International Regular
BOP v Lions update 15-17, Lions ahead, but BOP have conversion to come, Lewsey has 2 tries, O' Gara has the other for the lions

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lions were up 17-0 after 11 mins v Bay of Plenty but the BOP have now evened up at 17-17.

The Lions are getting killed in mid-field and on the wings. They are going to have to improve a truckload in that area if they are going to have any hope against Carter, Umaga, Sivivatu, Howlett etc.

Bay of Plenty are a decent side, they did finish 3rd last season but they had Glen Jackson & lets not forget the season before hand they played the relegation match.