• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2005 Lions tour of New Zealand

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd heard Rokocoko hadn't been selected for the ABs trial match. He carrying an injury? He's been fairly average in the Super 12 this year, mind.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I'd heard Rokocoko hadn't been selected for the ABs trial match. He carrying an injury? He's been fairly average in the Super 12 this year, mind.
He's been selected in the New Zealand Sevens squad to, apparently, regain some form.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
Rokococo can also play centre, I think
He's certainly never played centre at NPC, Super 12 or All Black level, so him moving to centre will almost certainly NOT be a plan in the case of replacements.

My backline would be:

Mils
Gear
Smith
Umaga
Rokocoko
Carter
Marshall (if he puts his toys back in the cot).

It appears Henry doesn't want to play Nonu on the wing, from comments he's made, so that rules Ma'abeline out of a wing spot.

PY

International Coach
I'm trying to keep in mind that it was a second string Lions side, granted that even with the second string it should have been a large victory to the Lions but they just didn't perform bar Wilko with the boot (not perfect in open play though).

I didn't think that the back row for the Lions had any influence at all, team handling was poor, passing was average, Shane Williams needs to get a haircut or else I'll hunt him down + cut it myself, centres looked without penetration until Horgan came on and we need to learn to not get cutoff so easily and/or get to the breakdown quicker because the Argies were swarming all over the tackled man and he was holding on and giving away penalty after penalty.

Not good to be honest and we're going to get pillaged by the All Blacks if the tactics don't improve soon. Not so worried about individual performances, more thinking of how there was no units on the field who were at even 90% let alone 100%. But hopefully, more time and more games will do the business in that dept.

Bring on 25th June, I can't wait. :D

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
My backline would be:

Mils
Gear
Smith
Umaga
Rokocoko
Carter
Marshall (if he puts his toys back in the cot).
I would also like to see the combination of Smith and Umaga at some stage but don't you thing it is a bit risky when you only have one recougnised kicker in the backline? This could be especially bad considering you have got Mils ahead of McDonald who is probably a better kicker of the ball.

I would still be confident if he had that backline though, Who are your reserves Voltman?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What are the chances of McCaw becoming Captain this season? If that happens then I can't see Umaga holding his place in the side.

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
What are the chances of McCaw becoming Captain this season? If that happens then I can't see Umaga holding his place in the side.

Tana will be there and deserves to be.. Who would be your midfield combo if you don't like Tana?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I would also like to see the combination of Smith and Umaga at some stage but don't you thing it is a bit risky when you only have one recougnised kicker in the backline? This could be especially bad considering you have got Mils ahead of McDonald who is probably a better kicker of the ball.

I would still be confident if he had that backline though, Who are your reserves Voltman?
I read and contribute to a couple of rugby forums, and I still can't work out why it's thought Tana can't kick. I've seen him put in plenty of kicks - wipers, grubbers etc. Admittedly, I haven't really seen him kick for touch a great deal, but I think when we are clearing on defence, Muliaina's boot is more than solid. I certainly see the merit in having two players close to the ruck who can kick, as it puts the defence in two minds, but I think the Smith/Umaga combo has more to offer (particularly defensively) than Umaga/Mauger.

My back reserves would be:

Kelleher
Mehrtens
Nonu

Blaze

Banned
Although highly unlikely If Muliaina and Carter get injured then you are screwed with those reserves.. I presume that you have Carter covering fullback.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if Howlett was on the wing he could shift to fullback, he's played there a number of times for Auckland.

Bring Mehrtens on to 5/8 & play Nonu on the wing. That's how i'd see them doing it anyway.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I might be showing a bit of Canterbury bias, but i'd prefer Mauger at inside centre. I think he's got a better all-round game than Smith.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
I might be showing a bit of Canterbury bias, but i'd prefer Mauger at inside centre. I think he's got a better all-round game than Smith.
Except his defence - and when you bear in mind he'll be marking O'Driscoll (openside takes 10, 10 marks up to 12, 12 takes 13) in set pieces, I think that's vital.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but I don't think Smith is much better in defence to be honest.
Personally i'd rather go for the experience against O'Driscoll.

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
Well if Howlett was on the wing he could shift to fullback, he's played there a number of times for Auckland.

Bring Mehrtens on to 5/8 & play Nonu on the wing. That's how i'd see them doing it anyway.
He had Gear and Rokothoko on the wings though IIRC

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Although highly unlikely If Muliaina and Carter get injured then you are screwed with those reserves.. I presume that you have Carter covering fullback.
That's the risk I'm taking - and at at a pinch, I'd put Gear back there.