• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Manchester United bought by an American :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
There's a lot about Glazer in the English press today, as one might expect.

It is true that the turned an ar$e NFL team into Super Bowl champions, but recently they've had consecutive losing seasons & the ticket prices have still increased markedly.

More interestingly, he also got a new stadium in Tampa by threatening to move the franchise elsewhere unless local politicians agreed to use public money to help pay for it.

Wouldn't that be funny?! With The MK Dons we now have the precedent set, would Glazer attempt to indulge in similar brinkmanship here?
That's another "Well Done the FA" moment, isn't it?

I don't know how much the MK move was based on no ground available in Wimbledon, though - Old Trafford's no St James' Park, but it's clearly just about okay to play at.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I think we should give the guy a chance. Sure the Bucs went through some roght times after the Super Bowl win but who knows? Man Utd has some good players now and with the current state of the leagues won't end up doing badly.

P.S Yes Halsey the NHL is doing pretty bad. Had to cancel the season over a dispute between owners and players.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ah well, if United fans change allegiances, they'll just pin their flag to the most successful team - Chelsea. The majority of United "fans" just jumped on the bandwagon ten years or so ago, didn't they?

:D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Ah well, if United fans change allegiances, they'll just pin their flag to the most successful team - Chelsea. The majority of United "fans" just jumped on the bandwagon ten years or so ago, didn't they?

:D
All the ones I know over here certainly did

And that also goes to most people I know with just a passing interest in the Premier League

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Anyone would have been ok but I dont like the idea of an English Football club bought by an American...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I don't care if other Man U fans share your views. Entire nations share some views and that doesn't make them any more righteous. I can't support that mentality. Why do you keep establishing that he's American in your comments? What assumptions do you have about Americans?

How can you believe he has no interest in the club before he's done anything? That's ridiculous. Poor show.. poor show.
look to make a long story short, i dont & Man U fans dont want Glazer to take over our our club, you understand. We dont need him.........

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
thier is a lot of negatives to Glazer taking over Manchester United

- Firstly even though we dont know if glazer taking over the club will be good or bad, but for all Man U die hard fans we dont want an American to take over the club, if it were a fellow english man that would be much better.

- also the future of Sir Alex becomes uncetain, for sure he deserves another year in this wonderful club, but we dont need an American predator running things its an english club things, whoever is in charge should be england.

- ticket prices might go up as well he since he took over that club in the U.S in 95, it was reported that ticket prices has gone up every season since then, why wont the same happen here?

- finally if he does take over the club, let them buy a new one and let him do what he wants with it, and this time dont open the club to the public has did did over a decade ago sicne thats what has caused this problem in the first placed.

- all fans should just boycott games, stop buying merchandise. Doing this would hurt him since as we all know a good 30 odd % comes from ticket sales which is a much higher % than what the old fool is used to in the U.S where TV revenue is alot higher than money made from punters buying thier seats.

why doesn't he just back off, 93% of the fans are againts him & the f****r still keeps forcing

Look someone close this f*****g thread cause the site of it just upsets me

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie said:
thier is a lot of negatives to Glazer taking over Manchester United

- Firstly even though we dont know if glazer taking over the club will be good or bad, but for all Man U die hard fans we dont want an American to take over the club, if it were a fellow english man that would be much better.

- also the future of Sir Alex becomes uncetain, for sure he deserves another year in this wonderful club, but we dont need an American predator running things its an english club things, whoever is in charge should be england.

- ticket prices might go up as well he since he took over that club in the U.S in 95, it was reported that ticket prices has gone up every season since then, why wont the same happen here?

- finally if he does take over the club, let them buy a new one and let him do what he wants with it, and this time dont open the club to the public has did did over a decade ago sicne thats what has caused this problem in the first placed.

- all fans should just boycott games, stop buying merchandise. Doing this would hurt him since as we all know a good 30 odd % comes from ticket sales which is a much higher % than what the old fool is used to in the U.S where TV revenue is alot higher than money made from punters buying thier seats.

why doesn't he just back off, 93% of the fans are againts him & the f****r still keeps forcing

An Aussie Rupert Murdoch owns the Times Newspapers in England, the Wall street Journal, LA Dodgers and some other sports Teams in the US !!

So why the hell do you not object to that ?

Whats the big difference between the two !! Why this big anti American Xenophobia ? :@

Craig

World Traveller
aussie said:
well manchester united isn't gone has yet, but i'm sure they will be able to stop it somehow and even if he does take over he better and rename the club cause has one of the executives said on BBC said earlier today (thats english time) they will buy a new club since Manchester United's glorious tradition of 125 years of glorious football has to go on.
And if you knew anything about the history of your club, Manchester United I believe were once known as Meadow Heath.

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
I love the U-TURN. I am sure you were talking about building houses when you made that statement about attitudes. :p

Glazer is a businessman and he has been pretty successful with his current Football Club, and he doesn't make the rules of NFL. And I dont understand this crap about american attitude. There are american business all over the world, they have been pretty successful as well and I think Americans have handled the sentiments of the local people pretty well.
Um I don't suppose he raised ticket prices when he brought the club, and although I'm not a big as fan on the NFL as I used to, gee when did Tampa Bay win the Super Bowl? Must have been a few years?

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
JASON said:
An Aussie Rupert Murdoch owns the Times Newspapers in England, the Wall street Journal, LA Dodgers and some other sports Teams in the US !!

So why the hell do you not object to that ?

Whats the big difference between the two !! Why this big anti American Xenophobia ? :@
I believe the 'anti-American Xenophobia' is because of the fact that the americans dont love Football as much or dont have the passion for the sport as much as the English do...hell they invent their own game(copied from Rugby) and name it Football and expect the original game to be called as Soccer by the whole world...

...well that is my one English friend's opinion and I can see his point

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
look to make a long story short, i dont & Man U fans dont want Glazer to take over our our club, you understand. We dont need him.........
Why not?

Quite happy pottering along in 3rd well behind the top 2 season after season are you?

Maybe new men at the top is what is needed because they'll do what the current board is scared to do and gt a new manager in.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Why not?

Quite happy pottering along in 3rd well behind the top 2 season after season are you?

Maybe new men at the top is what is needed because they'll do what the current board is scared to do and gt a new manager in.
We're not well behind the top 2 - but I see what you're saying.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Yet the previous majority shareholders were Irish, and you didn't have a problem then.

aussie said:
What a xenophobic attitude - why should whoever in charge be English? It's a global game.

aussie said:
Market forces apply - demand for games at Old Trafford are much greater than supply, so in the simplest model, prices can rise.

aussie said:
Why should he buy a new club - this club is available and represents a much better investment opportunity.

aussie said:
Yes, I'm sure he's an old fool and didn't thoroughly investigate the market place before spending £700m!

aussie said:
So if all else fails, it's time for abuse then - Fact remains it doesn't matter what the fans say, as a plc the club were always open to a takeover provided someone had enough money. To be honest I don't think anyone kicking up a stink can be called an objective fan at all.

aussie said:
Why should a good source of debate be closed? The issue is so big, another one would only appear.

twelfth_girl

Cricket Spectator
I have never supported Man United and never will, but my friend who is an avid (to say the least) fan says she will not stop supporting them after the takover. I can see where people are coming from, an American will never endear himself to a British public simply because most (not all, but most) Americans don't play or watch football, and Glazer himself doesn't appear to be investing for the benefit of the football.

I think maybe the thing Man United fans resent the most is the fact that the club is being brought at all, and the fact that he is an American is simply an excuse to kick up a bigger fuss. Probably the most pressing concern is that he is buying the club on borrowed funds, will this be another premier league club sinking further into debt?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
And if you knew anything about the history of your club, Manchester United I believe were once known as Meadow Heath.
Newton Heath, a small town somewhere in Surrey I believe ;)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Until very recently we were quite a way ahead if Arsenal - and we've done the double over them. I'd say United and Arsenal are miles behind the top 1.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I read somewhere that he was taking the club over because his son is a huge,huge fan of Man Utd.Not sure if its true or not.But honestly talking about somebody's evil intentions is ridiculous.

As for the nationality debate,two Irishmen,racehorsing magnates at that,were the leading shareholders of the club,and Manchester United have a Scottish manager,have what all of 5 English players in the whole of the first team,and are against an American taking over the club.

The plot thickens....Tim Howard is Glazer's agent in the club,you should've blocked Howard's transfer. 8-)