• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NBA 2005: Pick a winner

NBA Champs 2005

• San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Phoenix Suns

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Miami Heat

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Detroit Pistons

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Dallas Mavericks

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
now that the playoffs have started, who is your pick to win the nba title in 2005? if duncan is fully fit, i am going with the spurs this year....please post your opinions... :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spurs still one of the most boring teams in the league, but an excellent team. With Ginoble, Duncan and Parker, they're a force indeed.

The Miami Heat is also an outstanding team. The powerhouse that is Shaq is bound to find his feet eventually, and Wade is a great foil for him.

The Pistons are the defending champs and still a team to beat. No real standout player, but a bunch of solid guys in there. I wouldn't count them out.

Phoenix, Chicago, Dallas and Houston are somewhat underdogs in my eyes, but I'd love to see the Bulls somehow do it again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Spurs still one of the most boring teams in the league, but an excellent team. With Ginoble, Duncan and Parker, they're a force indeed.

The Miami Heat is also an outstanding team. The powerhouse that is Shaq is bound to find his feet eventually, and Wade is a great foil for him.

The Pistons are the defending champs and still a team to beat. No real standout player, but a bunch of solid guys in there. I wouldn't count them out.

Phoenix, Chicago, Dallas and Houston are somewhat underdogs in my eyes, but I'd love to see the Bulls somehow do it again.
i agree about the spurs and miami, but the bulls imo don't stand a chance...tbh, i wouldn't give too much of a chance to the mavs as well but they are playing well against houston in the first round and so i just included them in the list as well....if the ming-mcgrady duo click for them consistently, i feel houston does have a slim chance...

Mr Mxyzptlk

You never know about these minor teams though. Look at how the West Indies won the CT and the Pistons won the NBA Title last year. It's possible. The Bulls definitely have spirit.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
I went for the Pistons...i think they are the only team equiped to handle Shaq over a whole series. Big Ben plays great Defence and goes after every rebound, while Rasweed, Rip and Billups are all scoring threats on their day. Just are too good a 'team' for the rest. Duncan isn't really over his injury yet, but i still expect Manu to be able to get them to the finals.

Pistons in 6 over the spurs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Regarding the Spurs, I dont think they are a very boring team. I quite enjoy their play. Ginobli is one of my favourite players. One of the most creative and talented players I have seen over the years. Parker has really improved over the years and I have appreciated how the Spurs have given long term contracts to their players to maintain staibility in their team when most teams keep changes with rapid trades in the NBA.

Either way they are a force as mentioned by Liam.

I was very impressed with Dwayne Wade, whatever I saw of the guy last season. The most exciting thing to have happened in the league for me. Much more than guys like Lebron James. Being a Shaq fan, it was strange to see me loyalties shift to heat from the lakers when he shifted base to the heat. Perhaps I was never really a true lakers fan or perhaps I am a bigger Shaq fan than a Laker fan.

I am supporting Heat, the team I originally supported a lot when guys like Hardaway and Mourning had the combination with talented players like Mashburn for support. I have always been a supported of Bulls and its good to see them make the play offs.

Specially with Mourning making a resurgence in the play offs, I think and hope Miami will win it this year.

A pity I have followed very little NBA this season. A TV programme showed following in the NBA is at its lowest this season since the Bulls vs Jazz days. It has been certainly a true reflection as far as I am concerned.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't follow the NBA since Timmy Hardaway left Miami. Used to be a Miami fan, so I'll stay with them here.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SupaFreak2005 said:
Heat'll do it.... how come Bulls aren't in the poll?
'cuz at this point in the playoffs, i really don't fancy their chances much...

Mr Mxyzptlk

But they're in the playoffs and they should be on the poll. In fact, all the teams should be there.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But they're in the playoffs and they should be on the poll. In fact, all the teams should be there.
this is just a shortlist of potential contenders based on my opinion...i really don't think any of the other playoff teams have a realistic chance of winning the title this year...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yet few gave the Pistons a realistic chance last year. No one gave the Anaheim Angels a realistic chance a couple seasons back. No one (except me) gave Greece a chance last year.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Spurs are not a boring team, They play good defence, shot well, have 3 excellent players in Parker, Duncan and Ginobli who I think is their best player and top 3 player in NBA, the guy single handedly won Gold for Argentina in the Olympics, Heats are good, very good and I support that team because of Dwayne wade(who I watched in NCAA and was hugely impressed) and Shaq but IMO they can not beat Detroit and the reason for that is they are not a good shhoting team, they dont shoot their free throws well either on ther other hand, Detroit shoots well, plays hard defence and several clutch players like Hamilton, Billups and Wallace Twins, they just have too much fire power to be beaten 4 times by the heat.Bulls aren't going to the next round, Wizards have figured them out and even if they go to the next round after a seven game series they can't take on a well-rested heat.

Dallas Mavericks are good, but they need to learn to play defence and need others players besides Dirk to step up, they can't beat Spurs or Suns in a seven game series, Suns are a great team with 3 solid players Nash, Marion and Stoudimire and should be able to win against half-fit Duncan led spurs. Once in the finals, I guess Suns can give Detroit/Heat tough time, since they shoot so well, and they match up well too. I like pistons, they are well coached, they play as a team but I dont like Detroit fans, I dont want them to celebrate and besides I want someone else to win that's why my pick are SUNS.

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
miami will probably win they have dwayne wade and oneal. but i hope dallas win they always seem to get hard done by in the finals.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
username1234 said:
miami will probably win they have dwayne wade and oneal. but i hope dallas win they always seem to get hard done by in the finals.
that's because they don't play defense....and teams that play well at both ends put it across to them...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm going for the Heat. The Mavericks and the Suns have a good chance as well. So too the Spurs as usual. Sad though about the Lakers fall from grace. I think even the Clippers did better than them.