• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NBA 2005: Pick a winner

NBA Champs 2005

• San Antonio Spurs

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Phoenix Suns

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Miami Heat

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Detroit Pistons

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Houston Rockets

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Dallas Mavericks

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

biased indian

International Coach
Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks had a intresting game today did any one see it houston had a 20-0 some thing run in the end when i thought the game would be a tight one

for the winner i also pick Heat

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
here is how i would grade the starting five for these teams:

best offensive team:

suns

mavs

best defensive team

spurs & pistons

best all-round team

pistons

best one-two punch

shaq-wade - heat

ming-mcgrady - rockets

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
looks like it's gonna be spurs vs pistons.....it's going to be the ultimate defense fest...low scoring games....i like san antonio's chances....they are almost as good as the pistons defensively and they are much more explosive offensively....as they are showing against the suns by besting them at their own game....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
..and just as i say pistons will beat the heat, miami bounce back with a 92-86 effort....they played a much better defensive game and detroit showed their weakness, ie they are just not that great offensively....the question is can miami keep up this defensive effort in the subsequent games, it is second nature for the pistons, but miami has to force themselves to do it...if they do, they have a pretty good chance to beat detroit.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I was the only one who thought Suns would go on to win the NBA title, but after watching their pathetic defence against Spurs, I dont think they will be able to win a single game in this series and Spurs are really a multi talented team, super defence, great shooting, great fast break, great 3 point, great rebounding everything and they should be winning the title. Detroit/Miami cant stop San Antonio.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I was the only one who thought Suns would go on to win the NBA title, but after watching their pathetic defence against Spurs, I dont think they will be able to win a single game in this series and Spurs are really a multi talented team, super defence, great shooting, great fast break, great 3 point, great rebounding everything and they should be winning the title. Detroit/Miami cant stop San Antonio.
they have been the best team in the league from the start of this season....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yay! miami puts it across the pistons in their own backyard! :D

i know detroit is a superb team but i just can't enjoy their style of play...and i have been hoping against hope that they lose before the finals...now miami has given itself a fair chance...i hope they can follow through and complete the job...although the pistons are really tough and are well capable of coming back from this situation.... :unsure:

as for the spurs, they are almost in the finals and will be going for a sweep....i am tipping them to win whoever their finals opponent is... :)

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the spurs look poised to win the 2005 title...!!! i am just glad that the pistons are being beaten at their own game by a better team...hopefully s.a will win at least one of the three games in detroit and close it off back home..!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
the spurs look poised to win the 2005 title...!!! i am just glad that the pistons are being beaten at their own game by a better team...hopefully s.a will win at least one of the three games in detroit and close it off back home..!
The way SA has been playing, they will win 4-0 or 5-1. And dont want to jinx but My guess is Ginobli is going to be the MVP unless he really screws up in rest of the games or the Duncan-mania of the NBA takes over.

Manu is the best player in the NBA right now, in the first game he was the one who brought SA back into the game and in the second game when Detroit got within 8 points, it was he who stopped the run, not to forget his initial burst in the first quarter which gave SA the momentum.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
The way SA has been playing, they will win 4-0 or 5-1. And dont want to jinx but My guess is Ginobli is going to be the MVP unless he really screws up in rest of the games or the Duncan-mania of the NBA takes over.

Manu is the best player in the NBA right now, in the first game he was the one who brought SA back into the game and in the second game when Detroit got within 8 points, it was he who stopped the run, not to forget his initial burst in the first quarter which gave SA the momentum.
ginobli is a superb player, isn't he? every single player on the s.a roster whether it is the starting five or the bench is contributing significantly....this is an awesome team, for those who think they are boring, they beat the best offensive team, the suns at their own game and then in the next series, are beating the best defensive team, the pistons at their own game...talk about versatility!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
ginobli is a superb player, isn't he? every single player on the s.a roster whether it is the starting five or the bench is contributing significantly....this is an awesome team, for those who think they are boring, they beat the best offensive team, the suns at their own game and then in the next series, are beating the best defensive team, the pistons at their own game...talk about versatility!!

Actually SPURs are the best defensive team this season. Pistons are 2nd.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Actually SPURs are the best defensive team this season. Pistons are 2nd.
that's true, forgot about that....the pistons are mostly just a great defensive outfit so you always associate them with great "d" and very little else...while the spurs are a multi-faceted team, so their superb defense gets thrown into the background sometimes...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pistons are a great D team and hell of a lucky team as well. This season they were lucky to get Indiana without Ron Artest and an Injured Jermain O' Neil. In East Conf Finals they were lucky that D Wade got hurt and another O'Neil was hurt as well otherwise no way there were going to win against Miami at home.

Infact in last year finals they were lucky as well that K Malone was injured and Kobe was being Selfish. I am not saying that they weren't better than Lakers but just that it wouldn't have come so easy. Lakers beat this same San Antonio team in Conf Finals (with fair amount of luck as well, which you will need to beat a team like Spurs). IMO If Spurs had reached the NBA Finals that year, they would have beaten Pistons.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Pistons are a great D team and hell of a lucky team as well. This season they were lucky to get Indiana without Ron Artest and an Injured Jermain O' Neil. In East Conf Finals they were lucky that D Wade got hurt and another O'Neil was hurt as well otherwise no way there were going to win against Miami at home.

Infact in last year finals they were lucky as well that K Malone was injured and Kobe was being Selfish. I am not saying that they weren't better than Lakers but just that it wouldn't have come so easy. Lakers beat this same San Antonio team in Conf Finals (with fair amount of luck as well, which you will need to beat a team like Spurs). IMO If Spurs had reached the NBA Finals that year, they would have beaten Pistons.
as far as last year was concerned, kobe has always been selfish so that cannot be taken as a reason...malone being injured played a big part, gary payton was a non-factor throughout the playoffs and their bench being thinner than ever, shaq had to play a lone hand which he couldn't all the time...and so the team was out-hustled into submission....

they did play superb "d" against the spurs in the conference semis though(not the finals where they faced the t'wolves), particularly malone on duncan and shaq with his 4th qtr blocks...

and you are right, if the spurs had won the west last year, they would very likely have taken out the pistons in the finals...

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
as far as last year was concerned, kobe has always been selfish so that cannot be taken as a reason...malone being injured played a big part,
Last Year NBA Finals, Kobe wanted to be the MVP (or didn't want Shaq to be the MVP). When Malone was on the court he would try to be a peace maker, but once he got injured there was no one contolling Kobe.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Last Year NBA Finals, Kobe wanted to be the MVP (or didn't want Shaq to be the MVP). When Malone was on the court he would try to be a peace maker, but once he got injured there was no one contolling Kobe.
what about phil jackson, couldn't he have controlled kobe's minutes? i don't think there was anything especially selfish in the way he played in the finals...he almost always plays that way, more so in the last 2 seasons....he is taking more shots per game than anyone in the nba except maybe iverson(admittedly he tried to tone it down during the latter part of this season and tried to get other teammates more involved, but as was evidenced the lakers plumbed the depths of mediocrity saved only by kobe's flashes of brilliance and odom's steadiness before he got injured)...the problem with kobe was that unlike iverson who is the undisputed numero uno in philly, he had another huge star to contend with in shaq....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Phil could have controlled Kobe's minutes but played who ? Devon George, Kareem Rush, Luke Walton ? Common we all know that even a selfish Kobe is better than all three combined. Unfortunately that Kobe was not good enough to take on the Pistons.

Also try watching Kobe play in the NBA finals against indiana pacers, their first NBA finals under Phil Jackson. Kobe was phenomenal. (The finals against Nets/Sixers aren't worth mentioning as there was no real competition there)