• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sean Devine and Dwight Yorke heading Down Under

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Newcastle United director of football Remo Nogarotto said the Jets were on the verge of signing a marquee player who would trump Sydney FC's star recruit Dwight Yorke.
"It is on par with Yorke and arguably even bigger news" Nogarotto said last night. I don't want to say too much other tha I think he will be a very large announcement for the game and for Newcastle"

Can't wait. Just hope old Remo has told this bigshot about all the bogans and flannelete wearing 'tards he'd be living around up Newcastle way.

Oh and Craig, which Brazilian club did Rech go to?

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Perth signed 20 year old Neil Teggart from Sunderland, any of you folk from the old dart know much about him?

duffer

^ Did very well for their youth teams but couldn't break into their top side. Why are our clubs concentrating on English club rejects?

There's much better talent elsewhere.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Africa is the place that our teams should scout heavily, there is bound to be tones of 'undiscovered' gems there.

Did very well for their youth teams but couldn't break into their top side. Why are our clubs concentrating on English club rejects?
Something just seemed very wrong, for a guy only 20 to be comming 1/2 way around the planet to play in a league that hadn't even started yet. Maybe the change will be good for him....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
finding players in africa would be quite diffcult, their club competitions are on a par with ours really, quite a lot of them end up in french, belgian and dutch teams so the attraction to stay in africa and get found is probably better for them than coming to australia...
id imagine the distance from europe/africa is another reason no one is looking hard there...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I dunno, even Norwegian clubs get hold of Africans (there's about eight playing in our Premiership atm)...and such a vast talent pool. If the clubs treat them fairly (and there's a lot that aren't treated very well), there should be some left over for you lot ;)

duffer

I'm sure the quality of life in Australia would hold some heavy appeal to many African players.

A lot of them play the game in the hope of leaving their countries for a better life, something we could definitely offer here.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
And I agree.

The last Brazlian out here Fernando Rech was doing pretty well out here, before he buggered off to back to Brazil. To date there are two Koerens in the Queensland Roar.

What was the actual reason Danny Hay left Walsall? Homesick?
Another Korean has been sacked after it was discovered he lied about his playing career (said he'd played 300 K-League games and won player of the season twice, turned out he'd played 13 games)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hoggy31 said:
Isnt like half the Belgian team made up of expat Africans?
Only Emile and Mbo Mpenza, and they were apparently born in Brussels.

Now don't get me started on the Netherlands and their ex-pat policy...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
thewizard1o1 said:
Perth signed 20 year old Neil Teggart from Sunderland, any of you folk from the old dart know much about him?
Never heard of him. That suggests he's really not very good.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
Only Emile and Mbo Mpenza, and they were apparently born in Brussels.

Now don't get me started on the Netherlands and their ex-pat policy...
is Mbo Mpenza even good enough to play international football?!?!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Agree with all the comments about African players. The English influence has done absolutely nothing for us since we made the ' 82 World Cup. The style of play does not suit us and our players are simply not good enough defensively to play it.

We need to find some African/South American youngsters to inject some creativity in there - might actually make some people turn up too

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
Sir Redman said:
Agree with all the comments about African players. The English influence has done absolutely nothing for us since we made the ' 82 World Cup. The style of play does not suit us and our players are simply not good enough defensively to play it.

We need to find some African/South American youngsters to inject some creativity in there - might actually make some people turn up to

Spot on

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
is Mbo Mpenza even good enough to play international football?!?!
The Belgian coach thinks so.

Then again, the Norwegian coach thinks Steffen Iversen is good enough...*shudder*