• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tiger is Back !!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Is he the greatest golfer ever to play this game ? I dont know that but Golf has never been this competitive with Singh, Els and Mickelson all in top form, it is hard to find another quartette so much better and competitive. Tiger just won his 9th major and still halfway on his way to catch jack Nicklaus. He has age on his side and he sure is talented as hell. I give him another 5-6 years before he will overtake Jack. :)

In the mean time Tiger is back in the game, so are the viewers and money :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7425363/

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
superb performance the chip on the 16th was simply superb a truely great shot and then after it looked like he might have chucked it away he showed great mental strength to still win it. He is getting back to whare he was and now the chalengers have improved it will make for a great few years. I think he will win a record number of majors he has loads of time yet. And well done luke donald a great young lad

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Absolutely riveting action, couldn’t miss a shot. I was hoping he’d win, Tiger in good form can only be good for the game. And my heart was sure in my mouth when DiMarco’s chip lipped out. The last putt was never in doubt though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I personally think The US Masters golf course is poor. I don't really see the point in a course where as long you don't manage to misdirect your drive by about 90 degrees either way you're fine. There's just no real penalty for inaccuracy til you get to the greens. The greens themselves are more like crazy golf than proper golf.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I can see where you’re coming from, but I personally hate courses that are designed to take Drivers out of the hands of the big hitters, because I like nothing better than seeing Tiger smoking a drive 350 yards down the middle.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tiger Woods = legend. The pure emotion and will to win in the final round was moving. Superb touch from Mr. Woods. His recovery on the 16th was awe-inspiring.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
I personally think The US Masters golf course is poor. I don't really see the point in a course where as long you don't manage to misdirect your drive by about 90 degrees either way you're fine. There's just no real penalty for inaccuracy til you get to the greens. The greens themselves are more like crazy golf than proper golf.
Well by that theory the straight driver should have won, and that certainly wasn't Tiger this weekend. Straight driving 300 yards is by no means given and if you think the greens here were tricky, you should watch some of the US open! As for Tigers acheivement it was superb. The guy is a phenomenon, and i can watch the slow mo's of his swing all day, the power he winds up is awesome.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
twctopcat said:
Well by that theory the straight driver should have won, and that certainly wasn't Tiger this weekend. Straight driving 300 yards is by no means given and if you think the greens here were tricky, you should watch some of the US open! As for Tigers acheivement it was superb. The guy is a phenomenon, and i can watch the slow mo's of his swing all day, the power he winds up is awesome.
Exactly. The greens were farcical rather than tricky, there's no way someone should overhit a putt a slightly and the ball should end up in the water - that's just a joke. The course as a whole is unjust because of the greens and the way drives are all about brute force where accuracy barely matters. It's like getting a load of motor racing drivers and saying right you're gonna go around this track and you only ever get to do left turns at 200mph (guess which country that 'event' takes place regularly with big crowds) it's just not a true all-round test.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
if anyone could see my MSN nicname right now they'd know how i feel abuot Tiger Woods. I personally hate it when he dominates golf.

All up a pretty memorable masters though, with him returning to form in the most spectacular form. I was thinking about the standard of world golf when dimarco and woods were on the 15th green both tapping in for birdies, whilst at the same time Immelmann holed an ace on the next hole, and about 5 minutes later on the same hole woods holes a miraculous chip in. They made the Augusta layout tougher a couple of years back but clearly the standard is so high at the moment it hasn't really phased the players!!! The only challenge I see about the lay out at the moment is the slick greens.

The Aussie contingent was solid once again without being impressive. It seems aussie big guns like Scott, Appleby and Allenby all get stage fright come the big ones because of the pressure on them. Guys like Hensby and to an extent Pampling aren't on the same echelon in Aussie golf and they go out without the monkey on their back and play well.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tiger Woods has hardly dominated anything in the last couple of years. The field has definitely caught up. Perhaps he will pull away once more though.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Gotta feel for DiMarco though. Poor guy always stays in contention but whips it away in the last rounds. I was hoping he would win but after that double bogey coupled with Tiger's birdie , thought it was over for him but it was great to see him fight till the end.

As for Ernie , .....................................:(

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Tiger Woods has hardly dominated anything in the last couple of years. The field has definitely caught up. Perhaps he will pull away once more though.
Wouldnt you say its he who has has started stuttering rather than the field having caught up ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

SJS said:
Wouldnt you say its he who has has started stuttering rather than the field having caught up ?
But the field has caught up. It's caught up to the mortal level Tiger has slipped to.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Absolutely riveting action, couldn’t miss a shot. I was hoping he’d win, Tiger in good form can only be good for the game. And my heart was sure in my mouth when DiMarco’s chip lipped out. The last putt was never in doubt though.
Good for you that you've got nice parents, then...my mum turned off the TV at quarter past one after the 18th hole...

I felt for DiMarco, though. He just didn't have the luck Tiger had on the day (yes, the 16th was an amazing stroke, but a millimetre shorter and DiMarco would have been right in it...)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
He probably has started stuttering - but only because he's found a life outside golf. Right from a young age, Earl had been drumming the mechanics, mental approach and golfing intuition into Tiger and now that he has married and, apparently, wants to start a family, he's realised golf isn't the be all and end all, and I'd doubt he's practicing as much as in the past.

Still has those flashes of brilliance in him though.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Exactly. The greens were farcical rather than tricky, there's no way someone should overhit a putt a slightly and the ball should end up in the water - that's just a joke. The course as a whole is unjust because of the greens and the way drives are all about brute force where accuracy barely matters. It's like getting a load of motor racing drivers and saying right you're gonna go around this track and you only ever get to do left turns at 200mph (guess which country that 'event' takes place regularly with big crowds) it's just not a true all-round test.
That's a bit of a sweep, sure the odd green is like that but it has been like that for a long time, it is not a new occurence. All the players know of these greens and the dangers that lie. Augusta simply rewards good iron play as it is not the longest of courses and you have to have a very competent short game, i don't think the greens are farcical at all. The US open nearly always has worse (i.e ridiculously quicker) greens.