• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NRL Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Son Of Coco said:
it's undoubtedly true though is it not? It's the same as any number of people down this way loving to see the Broncos lose no matter who they're playing.
It is a little different. Everyone down their in N.S.W. is so in-bred that they all love to see any team beat the Broncos, whereas we hate every team south of the border, except for that team that is forced to play south of the border, but isn't a part of N.S.W. (for those south of the border not smart enough to understand - that team is Canberra).

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
It is a little different. Everyone down their in N.S.W. is so in-bred that they all love to see any team beat the Broncos, whereas we hate every team south of the border, except for that team that is forced to play south of the border, but isn't a part of N.S.W. (for those south of the border not smart enough to understand - that team is Canberra).
You'll have to explain what the difference is again!? Everyone south of the border hates the Broncos, and everyone North of the border hates every team south of the border except Canberra...hmmm.

Shaun Berrigan is an example that inbreeding is alive and well North of the border....as is the fact that a number of players do/did come from Ipswich. How do you explain the Walters? Or were they born in Tasmania? :p

Blaze

Banned
Both the Warriors and Tigers unlucky to lose. Both were the better sides IMO but both lost.

The Knights are having no luck at all with injuries.. have to feel sorry for them

I don't want to make excuses but the refereeing standard is dreadful.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tony Archer had a great game in the Raiders vs Knights clash, probably the best performance by a ref in 2005. Warriors again showed they are hopeless, they are no chance of making the 8.
bloody storm stuffed up my perfect round for tipping :@

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
Tony Archer had a great game in the Raiders vs Knights clash, probably the best performance by a ref in 2005. Warriors again showed they are hopeless, they are no chance of making the 8.
bloody storm stuffed up my perfect round for tipping :@
They may be rebuilding but they are not hopeless and their results show that.

Even in the games they lost they have all been close.

On an unrelated topic it amuses me how everyone in AUS seems to forget that the 16th team has a third candidate in my home town Wellington.

If international league is ever going to be anything meaningfull and the NRL want it to happen then there is only one choice IMO

Simon

no, NZ do not need a second team right now, in the future yes, but Gold Coast needs one first..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
On an unrelated topic it amuses me how everyone in AUS seems to forget that the 16th team has a third candidate in my home town Wellington.

If international league is ever going to be anything meaningfull and the NRL want it to happen then there is only one choice IMO
There's something in that. At least in The Super League they seem to have realised this and are trying to expand into France with UTC. Hopefully, unlike with Paris St Germain, they'll be more successful. At least they're based in the League heartland (as much as France has one) of the south.

Doubt it'd ever happen, but what about a franchise for Papua New Guinea? Only country where League is the national game.

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
no, NZ do not need a second team right now, in the future yes, but Gold Coast needs one first..

Yes we do and we deserve one. We have been trying for over a decade now.

I understand that it is an Australian competition and that you are doing us a favor by even having the Warriors in there but if AUS doesn't help us out and introduce a second NZ team they are really only shooting themselves in the foot.

You have got to ask yourself would there be more rugby league talent in the rest of NZ or up on the Gold Coast.

They had their chance the Gold Coast now it is time to expand the game to greater horizons.

Honestly look at all the New Zealanders playing profesional league and being forced to move to Britan and AUS because the Warriors cannot accomidate them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Honestly look at all the New Zealanders playing profesional league and being forced to move to Britan and AUS because the Warriors cannot accomidate them.
True enough. If they spend long enough there they start to think they're Australians too a la Hunt & Carroll.

IIRC Carroll actually played for NZ too!

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
That's right. I think he even played for New Zealand against Queensland in Super League origin

Simon

James90 said:
That's right. I think he even played for New Zealand against Queensland in Super League origin
no he definately didnt, he played for NZ at the world cup which do not count as test matches, then he played 2 tests for them in 2003 or something... but not as far back as 1997...

Blaze

Banned
James90 said:

Na he only played for us in the world cup in 2000.

It's things like that and Hunt (who is a dead set kiwi) which makes international league a joke and quite frankly a disgrace.

Also when the likes of Brad Thorn (who played for the All Blacks) makes himself avaliable for Queensland and not NZ you have got to wonder what the heck is going on.

A second team would help keep players in NZ and not be lured over the tasman and sudenly realise that they could be a part of origin.

It would also help rugby leagues profile in NZ and would put a real challenge up against Rugby especially since most people outside of Auckland don't feel afiliated with the Warriors at all and don't support them

Son Of Coco

James90 said:
Thorn's another that has played for NZ, admittedly in a different code.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
no he definately didnt, he played for NZ at the world cup which do not count as test matches, then he played 2 tests for them in 2003 or something... but not as far back as 1997...
We count 'em over here! All the WC teams (outside of England, Oz, NZ & France) are a little contrived tho. IIRC Mason played for Tonga, Ricketson turned out for Ireland & El Masri played for The Lebanon!

& don't Australia count the 1995 WC as tests for some bizarre reason?! I'm guessing it's all to do with Super League which was just starting to kick-off about then.....

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1995 was when the whole Super League country thing started and I think in 95,96 the people who signed for Super League couldn't play rep football? State of Origin at least. Tiqiri played for Fiji aswell

Craig

World Traveller
Looks Robina on the Gold Coast is the favourite to get the new stadium, for which us tax payers are paying for, so I hope it is a top notch stadium.

Apparently Preston Campbell has said he is heading to the Coast if they get the new licenice, and potential targets include: Orford, Priddis, Bailey, Anasta, Finch, Mason, Bowen, Marshall (Benji), Prince, Lolesi, and Faumuina (is he off contract this year or next year Tim?).

They are hoping to get the licenice soon so they can convince off contract players to sign a one year deal with their respective clubs then join the Gold Coast in 2007. I don't know if that is bending any rules or not.

Waughney

International Debutant
I genuinly hope the Gold Coast get a decent side together. Anasta will also be targeted by the Roosters, so I'm not sure if GC would be able to get him. I guess if they pay a high enough price...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
age_master said:
Waratah's will probably get Anasta cause they can afford him and they need a new number 10
He's only a kid, but I like the look of MacKay.

Unless he's off to Perth too, of course....