• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

N.S.W. seal State of Origin Defence

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know this may be jumping the gun a bit, but the heart and sould of Queensland's State of Origin forward pack, the best forward currently playing the game, and a general good bloke Shane Webke has decided to retire from representative footy (the proper code).

I caused a love-in on the bus on the way home from University this afternoon when someone asked me why I was crying, I said "Shane Webke has retired from representative football." The bloke next to me burst into tears, and we were all reminising on a great man and a great career, even some ******* blue up the back had no bad words to say which is unusual, although with the Maroon passion steaming on the bus, the bus driver kicked him out next stop, and he was wearing a Cowboys' hat!

Let's just hope that Steven Price isn't injured, and that the selectors don't select that loser Ross to play!

Full story here

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Very sad, he was a fine player with great passion and determination. You'd want him in any side and the way he lifts for Origin will really be missed! Civineciva will really have to step up now and hopefully the Coyboys forwards can get a look in for origin now.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
last year i would have been running for the hills with this news, but i think we can cope...

8 Petero Civoniceva
9 Cameron Smith
10 Steve Price
11 Brad Thorn
12 Steve Southern
13 Jason Smith
The Rest
David Stagg, Carl Webb, Tonie Carroll, Shane Tronc, Michael Crocker, Chris Flannery, Dane Carlaw (lol).

I think theres a very good foward pack in there whichever way we go...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Shane Webke has decided to retire from representative footy (the proper code).
the proper code? i dont remember him playing union:p

nah seriously he will be missed, well by canetoad lovers anyway. one of the best and toughest Moroons, he played with alot of passion and heart that will be impossible for them to replace

Craig

World Traveller
Mister Wright said:
I know this may be jumping the gun a bit, but the heart and sould of Queensland's State of Origin forward pack, the best forward currently playing the game, and a general good bloke Shane Webke has decided to retire from representative footy (the proper code).

I caused a love-in on the bus on the way home from University this afternoon when someone asked me why I was crying, I said "Shane Webke has retired from representative football." The bloke next to me burst into tears, and we were all reminising on a great man and a great career, even some ******* blue up the back had no bad words to say which is unusual, although with the Maroon passion steaming on the bus, the bus driver kicked him out next stop, and he was wearing a Cowboys' hat!

Let's just hope that Steven Price isn't injured, and that the selectors don't select that loser Ross to play!

Full story here
Your making it sound like he has retired from rugby league as immediate or had dropped dead.

Yes though, it is a big loss for QLD, but at least we have plenty of time on our hands to find a replacement.

Blaze

Banned
James90 said:
Not unless something happens to Cameron Smith

But Marsh was the number 9 before he got injured and it was only then that Smith got his chance.. Marsh should be somewhere in the mix IMO if he continues his great form and regains up to a satisfactory fitness level

Simon

no, cause he wont start at half cause theres prince and seymour, he wont start at hooker cause theres smith, marsh and berrigan, and he wont be on the bench cause bowen will be and there will be 3 fowards on the bench with him...

Simon

Blaze said:
But Marsh was the number 9 before he got injured and it was only then that Smith got his chance.. Marsh should be somewhere in the mix IMO if he continues his great form and regains up to a satisfactory fitness level
smith has proven himself a better player, he should also be the australian hooker for the anzac test...
we may also need his goalkicking in origin...

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
smith has proven himself a better player, he should also be the australian hooker for the anzac test...

His goal kicking isn't anything special

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
no, cause he wont start at half cause theres prince and seymour, he wont start at hooker cause theres smith, marsh and berrigan, and he wont be on the bench cause bowen will be and there will be 3 fowards on the bench with him...

God, I hope Bowen isn't picked, he drops the ball more than Wesser, and that is a tough ask.

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
We won't need his goalkicking because Shifcofske will finally get picked. I'm sick of all this talk of Hunt, Bowen & Wesser, we need solidarity at the back and Shifcofske is in great form once again. He deserves his chance, yet again.

Blaze

Banned
Mister Wright said:
We won't need his goalkicking because Shifcofske will finally get picked. I'm sick of all this talk of Hunt, Bowen & Wesser, we need solidarity at the back and Shifcofske is in great form once again. He deserves his chance, yet again.

Locker should play fullback IMO with Slater and Bowen on the wings.

Tait and Hodges in the centres and Seymor, Prince in the halves

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
Forgetting the Blues captain last year?

Mister Wright

Blaze said:
Locker should play fullback IMO with Slater and Bowen on the wings.

Tait and Hodges in the centres and Seymor, Prince in the halves
Bahumbug. Lockyer will never play fullback again, yes he was the best fullback since Belcher but his days at fullback are over. However, we do need a player of his ilk, and Shifcofske fits that role perfectly, he has the best defence of any Qld fullback in the competition and his attack is more than handy, and can do a Lockyer like role and take on kicking duties if needed.

Slater, Hunt, Wesser & Bowen do not have the defensive abilities of Shifcofske and should therefore not get in ahead of him, with such a potent backline of Slater, Williams/Hoges, Tate, Tonga, Lockyer & Prince, combined with Smith & Stagg, we will have plenty of scoring oportunities, let's make sure we stop as many points as we can off the blues.

Mister Wright

James90 said:
Forgetting the Blues captain last year?
Buderus is injured. And he only got his place because Johns was the Halfback at the time, Priddis had, had an outstanding origin series and both he and Smith are better hookers than Buderus.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Bahumbug. Lockyer will never play fullback again, yes he was the best fullback since Belcher but his days at fullback are over. However, we do need a player of his ilk, and Shifcofske fits that role perfectly, he has the best defence of any Qld fullback in the competition and his attack is more than handy, and can do a Lockyer like role and take on kicking duties if needed.

Slater, Hunt, Wesser & Bowen do not have the defensive abilities of Shifcofske and should therefore not get in ahead of him, with such a potent backline of Slater, Williams/Hoges, Tate, Tonga, Lockyer & Prince, combined with Smith & Stagg, we will have plenty of scoring oportunities, let's make sure we stop as many points as we can off the blues.
What about Paul Hauff?

:laugh: