• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A-League Favourites

Who will win the inaugral A-League ?

• Total voters

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
He's changed a hell of a lot from when he was a useless striker at Coventry then.

Yeah, it's called maturing and reaching your peak I guess. He's very consistent nowadays and the one time I've sen him and Viduka play together he worked very hard and they looked promising so it's a good option for Australia to have.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
how is it different? we still had to qualifying by playing a country not in the same region...
It is different because that is a play-off between 2 regions with half a spot each.

Moving regions to get a better chance is plain wrong.

And does Oceania still have a half spot now? If so, then that's also wrong.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
It is different because that is a play-off between 2 regions with half a spot each.

Moving regions to get a better chance is plain wrong.

And does Oceania still have a half spot now? If so, then that's also wrong.

So what are you suggesting.. the rest of Oceania gets no chance at all of qualifying?

You obviously don't want football to grow in Aus and NZ..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, what I'm suggesting is that Australia are not Asian, so shouldn't be allowed to move just because they don't like the current system.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
No, what I'm suggesting is that Australia are not Asian, so shouldn't be allowed to move just because they don't like the current system.
Well FIFA obviously thinks otherwise.. and so do I.

Aus or NZ will never make a world cup with the current system so good on Aus for being proactive and seeking change.. you can't blame them for making it potentially easier for their players. The people you should take issue with is FIFA

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why would they never make it?

They have to play someone like the 5th best Asian or South American side.

Now excuse me for being radical, but if they can't even beat that side, why do they deserve to make it to the World Cup?

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Why would they never make it?

They have to play someone like the 5th best Asian or South American side.

Now excuse me for being radical, but if they can't even beat that side, why do they deserve to make it to the World Cup?

Lets be fair here Marc.. you know as well as I do how hard it is for an Australian or NZ side to beat a South American side over two legs.

For starters (lets assume Aus would beat NZ) Aus would have only played one romotely hard game in qualifying whereas the fifth best side from South America would have played 10+ tough qualifying games all against tough oposition and will be much more prepared for the sudden death qualification matches than Australia as they also have had much more games geling as a team.

Then ask yourself.. would it be more challenging for Chile (5th last time) to play an away leg in Aus or Aus to play an away leg in Chile. I know who I would rather be.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
we arent South American either, the only logial explaination is Oceiania get 1 full spot, but apparently thats not fair either...

it seems under your plan the hardest possible path for a team from this region to make the cup is the only acceptable one...

i can see from ur point of view, England are so ****ing hopeless in every sport, the thought of Australia making a World cup an embarassing England once more really hurts doesnt it. Football is one of the few reamaining sports England can claim they are better than Aus, whats onna happen if we make a few World cups, become professional about the game and really become a powerhouse, i can see you and your dodgey ****ing hopeless mates running for the hills...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
we arent South American either, the only logial explaination is Oceiania get 1 full spot, but apparently thats not fair either...

it seems under your plan the hardest possible path for a team from this region to make the cup is the only acceptable one...

i can see from ur point of view, England are so ****ing hopeless in every sport, the thought of Australia making a World cup an embarassing England once more really hurts doesnt it. Football is one of the few reamaining sports England can claim they are better than Aus, whats onna happen if we make a few World cups, become professional about the game and really become a powerhouse, i can see you and your dodgey ****ing hopeless mates running for the hills...
Been celebrating The Broncos win there, mate? :D Not like you to spell quite so badly!!

If the Oz FA think they've got a better chance thru Asia, then fair play to 'em. The Asian association must think you can bring something to the table in terms of support & revenue or they'll veto it.

I am worried where it'll leave NZ tho.

Simon

BoyBrumby said:
Been celebrating The Broncos win there, mate? :D Not like you to spell quite so badly!!

If the Oz FA think they've got a better chance thru Asia, then fair play to 'em. The Asian association must think you can bring something to the table in terms of support & revenue or they'll veto it.

I am worried where it'll leave NZ tho.
mate, read half a dozen of my posts and you'll see i make more typo's and spelling errors than anyone on this site!

The important thing to remember is that we arent just joining for WC qualifying, our domestic teams will play in the asian champions league and any other competitions like that, its a great deal for everyone involved...

and to answer ur questions, YES, i hae been celebrating our great win over the roosters :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm happy about the AFC switch. Is there much point in the Oceania division now, though? New Zealand will be miles ahead of everyone else, and a long way from World Cup standard. Perhaps the whole conference should be merged into Asia, rather than having Africa, Asia, Europe, South America and North America... plus a practically useless bunch of islands and New Zealand all on their own.

Simon

FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm happy about the AFC switch. Is there much point in the Oceania division now, though? New Zealand will be miles ahead of everyone else, and a long way from World Cup standard. Perhaps the whole conference should be merged into Asia, rather than having Africa, Asia, Europe, South America and North America... plus a practically useless bunch of islands and New Zealand all on their own.
too much costs involved for nations like the cook islands or american Samoa to travel so often to asia to play and that. A lot of the guys that play for those nations are really only amatuers anyway...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
TBF didn't Vanuatu (sp?) d1ck NZ in the WC qualifiers?

&, I wouldn't write yourselves off just yet regarding Germany '06; although (I think) U-r-guay are 5th in S America just now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I wouldn't write yourselves off just yet regarding Germany '06; although (I think) U-r-guay are 5th in S America just now.
I think Australia are quite capable of beating them - we went into the away leg with a 1-0 lead last time, and have in all probability a better team this time around. Still, after the consecutive disasterous collapses right at the end against Iran and Uruguay the last two times, I wouldn't put any money on us making it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
Lets be fair here Marc.. you know as well as I do how hard it is for an Australian or NZ side to beat a South American side over two legs.
So if they can't beat the 5th best South American side, please tell why they deserve to be at the World Cup?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
1 full spot is basically a pass to the World Cup for Australia every time - not even the holders get that any more so that is far from fair.

Nobody is saying you're South American, just saying you have to play off to get there (like some European sides have had to play off with Asian sides for 2002)

broncoman said:
No, I'm not saying that, but I don't see why any side should just change continents because they're not happy with the current situation.

broncoman said:
Going to ignore this tirade as it is a load of rubbish.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Now that would be the only way I can see it working - have one big group covering both areas.

Blaze

Banned
broncoman said:
mate, read half a dozen of my posts and you'll see i make more typo's and spelling errors than anyone on this site!

The important thing to remember is that we arent just joining for WC qualifying, our domestic teams will play in the asian champions league and any other competitions like that, its a great deal for everyone involved...

and to answer ur questions, YES, i hae been celebrating our great win over the roosters :D

A great deal for everyone but NZ

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
So if they can't beat the 5th best South American side, please tell why they deserve to be at the World Cup?
South America are a very strong region and so the 5th best side is always are very stong side anyway.

A world cup isn't about the best of the best it is about countries from all over the world being represented and competing against each other.

If it was just about the best of the best then you might as well just have South America and European teams in their