• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's National Sport

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most associate us with cricket.

However, the 3 football codes (aussie rules, rugby league and union - dont mention soccer, that is a game played by those who dont have the talent/balls to be succesful at the others) beats cricket hands down when it comes to spectators at the ground or via media.

To our undying shame, netball is the largest participation sport.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh i dont think Australia has 1 particular national sport, it really depends who u ask i guess...

benchmark00

broncoman said:
tbh i dont think Australia has 1 particular national sport, it really depends who u ask i guess...
Not really, every country ahs its official national sport (not most popular)... For example, in America it's Baseball.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i think it has to be AFL. All 3 codes of football probably attract more limelight than any summer sports and AFL is by far the biggest in WA, SA and Victoria, and has a big foot in the door in both NSW and QLD... easily making it the national sport

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I would've said cricket too, all the football codes are seemingly played along regional lines but cricket is truly nationwide.

I guess for national winter sport I'd have to give AFL the nod as it seems to be the top game in more of Oz than League. Although, as a pom, its appeal has pretty much eluded me. It looks a pretty hetreo sport, but seems well complex to the uninitiated.

Fiery

Banned
I have always thought it was cricket. The only sport that is played nationwide Ask people in NSW or Queensland what their national sport is and I don't think you would get much response for AFL so I guess it depends on who you ask but I think most NZers consider cricket to be the national sport. I could be wrong.

benchmark00

BoyBrumby said:
I would've said cricket too, all the football codes are seemingly played along regional lines but cricket is truly nationwide.

I guess for national winter sport I'd have to give AFL the nod as it seems to be the top game in more of Oz than League. Although, as a pom, its appeal has pretty much eluded me. It looks a pretty hetreo sport, but seems well complex to the uninitiated.
Huh?... AFL is played on a major scale in every state, the national competition is in ever state (apart from Tasmania)... More people play it and bigger spectator base etc etc... There are more Football clubs than cricket clubs, so thats why it's our national sport.

benchmark00

Fiery said:
I have always thought it was cricket. The only sport that is played nationwide Ask people in NSW or Queensland what their national sport is and I don't think you would get much response for AFL so I guess it depends on who you ask but I think most NZers consider cricket to be the national sport. I could be wrong.
Ask me which state im from;)... Afl is played in a larger area than cricket. Cricket in the NT has a very poor player and spectator base, judging by statistics i read from the ABS last year that is.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have to say AFL. I mean, Australian Football League, Aussie Rules, how more Australian can you get?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
benchmark00 said:
Huh?... AFL is played on a major scale in every state, the national competition is in ever state (apart from Tasmania)... More people play it and bigger spectator base etc etc... There are more Football clubs than cricket clubs, so thats why it's our national sport.
It might be played in every state, but in NSW & Queensland the perception over here is that League is the biggest winter sport.

Judging by Mr Wright's & Broncoman's anti-AFL posts in other threads I'd say it has a way to go to capture hearts-and-minds in those states just yet!

Might be just the impression that I've got wrong tho, League is infinitely bigger over here so obviously the NRL attracts more interest than AFL. :)

Fiery

Banned
benchmark00 said:
Ask me which state im from;)... Afl is played in a larger area than cricket. Cricket in the NT has a very poor player and spectator base, judging by statistics i read from the ABS last year that is.
Do people live in the NT?

benchmark00

BoyBrumby said:
It might be played in every state, but in NSW & Queensland the perception over here is that League is the biggest winter sport.

Judging by Mr Wright's & Broncoman's anti-AFL posts in other threads I'd say it has a way to go to capture hearts-and-minds in those states just yet!

Might be just the impression that I've got wrong tho, League is infinitely bigger over here so obviously the NRL attracts more interest than AFL. :)
Yeah youre absolutely correct, but im saying from the perspective that it would be Queensland and NSW (although im a new south welshman! lol) against every other state... thats what im saying.. i understand what youre getting at though

Slats4ever

i'm from NSW and I'm a big AFL supporter over league and union... NSW and QLD I feel are split about 1/3 for all 3 codes and there's always pretty patriotic views for each persons favourite code. that's why u get Mr Wright and Broncoman saying that sorta stuff.

Simon

haha ian no, league is definately bigger in nsw and qld...
a small majority would go the same way as u...

Slats4ever

AFL has just about sold out Telstra stadium... even in preliminary rounds... the only time league can do taht is on grand final day... AFL usually seats about 22-27 grand at the SCG whilst league games are lucky to get 8...

Blockbuster AFL games attract equal or more viewers than friday night footy.