Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 138

Thread: Australia's National Sport

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872

    Australia's National Sport

    To settle an argument. What is Australia's national sport?
    Last edited by Fiery; 28-02-2005 at 01:26 AM.

  2. #2
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Australian Rules Football
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    Aussie rules

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    lol afl

    Cricket and rugby are pretty even for it i would say
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    16,756
    Most associate us with cricket.

    However, the 3 football codes (aussie rules, rugby league and union - dont mention soccer, that is a game played by those who dont have the talent/balls to be succesful at the others) beats cricket hands down when it comes to spectators at the ground or via media.

    To our undying shame, netball is the largest participation sport.

  6. #6
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    25,597
    tbh i dont think Australia has 1 particular national sport, it really depends who u ask i guess...

  7. #7
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    tbh i dont think Australia has 1 particular national sport, it really depends who u ask i guess...
    Not really, every country ahs its official national sport (not most popular)... For example, in America it's Baseball.

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Warwickshire HQ
    Posts
    4,294
    i think it has to be AFL. All 3 codes of football probably attract more limelight than any summer sports and AFL is by far the biggest in WA, SA and Victoria, and has a big foot in the door in both NSW and QLD... easily making it the national sport
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

  9. #9
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,038
    I would've said cricket too, all the football codes are seemingly played along regional lines but cricket is truly nationwide.

    I guess for national winter sport I'd have to give AFL the nod as it seems to be the top game in more of Oz than League. Although, as a pom, its appeal has pretty much eluded me. It looks a pretty hetreo sport, but seems well complex to the uninitiated.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    I have always thought it was cricket. The only sport that is played nationwide Ask people in NSW or Queensland what their national sport is and I don't think you would get much response for AFL so I guess it depends on who you ask but I think most NZers consider cricket to be the national sport. I could be wrong.

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I would've said cricket too, all the football codes are seemingly played along regional lines but cricket is truly nationwide.

    I guess for national winter sport I'd have to give AFL the nod as it seems to be the top game in more of Oz than League. Although, as a pom, its appeal has pretty much eluded me. It looks a pretty hetreo sport, but seems well complex to the uninitiated.
    Huh?... AFL is played on a major scale in every state, the national competition is in ever state (apart from Tasmania)... More people play it and bigger spectator base etc etc... There are more Football clubs than cricket clubs, so thats why it's our national sport.

  12. #12
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery
    I have always thought it was cricket. The only sport that is played nationwide Ask people in NSW or Queensland what their national sport is and I don't think you would get much response for AFL so I guess it depends on who you ask but I think most NZers consider cricket to be the national sport. I could be wrong.
    Ask me which state im from... Afl is played in a larger area than cricket. Cricket in the NT has a very poor player and spectator base, judging by statistics i read from the ABS last year that is.

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    I would have to say AFL. I mean, Australian Football League, Aussie Rules, how more Australian can you get?
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

  14. #14
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    47,038
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Huh?... AFL is played on a major scale in every state, the national competition is in ever state (apart from Tasmania)... More people play it and bigger spectator base etc etc... There are more Football clubs than cricket clubs, so thats why it's our national sport.
    It might be played in every state, but in NSW & Queensland the perception over here is that League is the biggest winter sport.

    Judging by Mr Wright's & Broncoman's anti-AFL posts in other threads I'd say it has a way to go to capture hearts-and-minds in those states just yet!

    Might be just the impression that I've got wrong tho, League is infinitely bigger over here so obviously the NRL attracts more interest than AFL.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Ask me which state im from... Afl is played in a larger area than cricket. Cricket in the NT has a very poor player and spectator base, judging by statistics i read from the ABS last year that is.
    Do people live in the NT?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What makes a sport?
    By cric_manic in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 27-02-2005, 10:11 PM
  2. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM
  3. National anthems
    By GermanShepherd in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 29-07-2004, 04:28 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 04:26 AM
  5. Coolest Sport?
    By Langeveldt in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •