• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's National Sport

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Son Of Coco said:
I wonder have the losses got something to do with the salary cap restrictions? The Broncos have a lot of very good players fitting in under the cap - and there's ways to get around it by employing spouses etc at the club and paying them exhorbitant amounts and so on. I've never understood how they all fit under the same cap as teams with few big guns.
The same could be said of the Roosters, Bulldogs, Panthers & Eels.

Son Of Coco

broncoman said:
despite the fact darren lockyer is now the worlds best player?
yes, but in a year when Johns sat out the season injured. This year will reveal all I guess.

Mister Wright

A.F.L. is not the most popular sport in Queensland. If there is a big match on involving the Broncos & Lions on the same weekend, The Broncos will always get the front page of the sport liftout, followed by A.F.L. Sometimes even cricket gets ahead of both if something major has happened.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Son Of Coco said:
yes, but in a year when Johns sat out the season injured. This year will reveal all I guess.
Lockyer's game has gone to another level, its gonna be very tough for Johns to play at the standard lockyer does again...

Son Of Coco

broncoman said:
they didnt fit them in the cap thats why weve lost Sailor, Tuqiri, Ben Walker, Chris Walker, Shane Walker, Harrison, Webb, Prince, Kahler, Czislowski, De Vere, Meyers etc... in recent seasons
There's still a hell of a lot of good players fitting in there though. A couple of seasons ago there were 10-11 origin players...Sailor and Tuquiri left for better money in rugby didn't they? They weren't discarded because of the salary cap.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Johns has nothing on Lockyer IMO. I always thought Johns was far better than Fittler, but Lockyer has him (Johns) for dinner.

Mister Wright

broncoman said:
they didnt fit them in the cap thats why weve lost Sailor, Tuqiri, Ben Walker, Chris Walker, Shane Walker, Harrison, Webb, Prince, Kahler, Czislowski, De Vere, Meyers etc... in recent seasons
Don't forget Frawley (recently), McKenna, Beattie, Darren Smith, Glen Lazarus.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Johns has nothing on Lockyer IMO. I always thought Johns was far better than Fittler, but Lockyer has him (Johns) for dinner.
It's going to be a QLD vs NSW thing though isn't it!?

Johns is a brilliant player, and so is Lockyer, but I don't think you can compare one to the other until they're both playing and we'll see that this season hopefully.

Johns can do anything with the ball, and IMO is a better kicker of the ball than Lockyer so I can't see how you'd say Lockyer 'has him for dinner'.

Simon

Son Of Coco said:
There's still a hell of a lot of good players fitting in there though. A couple of season ago there were 10-11 origin players...
a lot of players, eg tallis were on substantially less with brisbane compared to what they could get with other clubs. Brisbane have the attraction of being the only SE qld side, so players can stay in their home state. a few years ago Johns could have signed for brisbane for a lot more than he accepted with newcastle, but he wanted to stay at home, and thats how we have fit them under the cap...

Triple Crown

Cricket Spectator
The only sport that enjoys national significance with all Australians is cricket.

Aside from Football, ahem, Soccer, which has more registered players in Australia than AFL, League and Union COMBINED. And check the stats: Soccer recently overtook cricket as Australia's most popular participation sport.

Honestly, aside from the Swans & Lions, no one could give a **** about AFL in either Sydney or Brisbane, 2 of Oz's biggest cities.

Rugby League is only strong in New South Wales & Queensland, and has lost major ground to Rugby Union nationally due to Legue scandals and the smarter marketing & expansion policies of the Aust Rugby Union Board, ironically many of whom left Rugby to work with the Australian Soccer Association.

10-15 years from now cricket will still be Australia's national sport. Soccer & Rugby Union will be the dominant footy codes. League will be dead & have to merge with Rugby Union to survive & no one will give a **** about Aussie Rules aside from Melbourne.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
Don't forget Frawley (recently), McKenna, Beattie, Darren Smith, Glen Lazarus.
yeh frawley i think is a big loss for us, the others were all pre the era i was talking about...

Son Of Coco

broncoman said:
a lot of players, eg tallis were on substantially less with brisbane compared to what they could get with other clubs. Brisbane have the attraction of being the only SE qld side, so players can stay in their home state. a few years ago Johns could have signed for brisbane for a lot more than he accepted with newcastle, but he wanted to stay at home, and thats how we have fit them under the cap...
I just wonder whether the money troubles aren't somehow linked, that's all. As I said, you can get around the cap by not making it officially part of the 'salary'.

Simon

Triple Crown said:
The only sport that enjoys national significance with all Australians is cricket.

Aside from Football, ahem, Soccer, which has more registered players in Australia than AFL, League and Union COMBINED. And check the stats: Soccer recently overtook cricket as Australia's most popular participation sport.

Honestly, aside from the Swans & Lions, no one could give a **** about AFL in either Sydney or Brisbane, 2 of Oz's biggest cities.

Rugby League is only strong in New South Wales & Queensland, and has lost major ground to Rugby Union nationally due to Legue scandals and the smarter marketing & expansion policies of the Aust Rugby Union Board, ironically many of whom left Rugby to work with the Australian Soccer Association.

10-15 years from now cricket will still be Australia's national sport. Soccer & Rugby Union will be the dominant footy codes. League will be dead & have to merge with Rugby Union to survive & no one will give a **** about Aussie Rules aside from Melbourne.
for the last time, league us not dying, its expanding...
afl will enjoy a smaller slice of the pie in 15 years with the emergence of football as a major code in australia, but all in all all the sports will hold the same standings as what they have now in 2020...

benchmark00

Triple Crown said:

8-)

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
It's going to be a QLD vs NSW thing though isn't it!?

Johns is a brilliant player, and so is Lockyer, but I don't think you can compare one to the other until they're both playing and we'll see that this season hopefully.

Johns can do anything with the ball, and IMO is a better kicker of the ball than Lockyer so I can't see how you'd say Lockyer 'has him for dinner'.
No. It hurt me bad, but after Langer's abilities declined I admitted that Johns was the best player in the game. I doubt you would ever find a N.S.W. supporter ever admitting that a Qld player was the best in the world. However, the time Lockyer has spent at fullback now allows him to be one step ahead of everyone else in the game, he can read the game a lot better than any other player. He might not have the long kicking game tha Johns has, but his short kicking game is far superior. Johns is an awesome defender, but Lockyer, if not matching him in that department, is not far behind him. Lockyer just seems to have tha extra zing and forsight that Johns doesn't have. Johns may be the more 'freakish' player but Lockyer is the more solid and more dependable more often.

Simon

Son Of Coco said:
I just wonder whether the money troubles aren't somehow linked, that's all. As I said, you can get around the cap by not making it officially part of the 'salary'.
yeh, but even then clubs are limited to how much their players or their immediate family can be paid by a third party thats linked to the club...
the clubs are watched very closely and theres no chance of getting away with even a minor breach, Brisbane are one of 12 clubs who have been fined in the last 3 years for breaching the cap this way, so i doubt any money problems they may have are linked with over payment...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
Johns may be the more 'freakish' player but Lockyer is the more solid and more dependable more often

and thats why i believe he's the best. its what they're capable of that appeals to me, much like why i rate gary ablett (senior) as the best afl player that i've ever seen...and maybe also coz i barrack for geelong.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
broncoman said:
Johns may be the more 'freakish' player but Lockyer is the more solid and more dependable more often.
that's probably why i rate johns higher. what your capable of (especially in the big games, or in clutch situations) is probably the most important part of a champion in my eyes, which is probably why i rate lara over tendulkar, and think gary ablett was the greatest AFL player ever....and maybe because i barrack for geelong

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Johns may be the more 'freakish' player but Lockyer is the more solid and more dependable more often.
that's probably why i rate johns higher. what your capable of (especially in the big games, or in clutch situations) is probably the most important part of a champion in my eyes, which is probably why i rate lara over tendulkar, and think gary ablett was the greatest AFL player ever....and maybe because i barrack for geelong :D

Last edited:

social

Mister Wright said:
A.F.L. is not the most popular sport in Queensland. If there is a big match on involving the Broncos & Lions on the same weekend, The Broncos will always get the front page of the sport liftout, followed by A.F.L. Sometimes even cricket gets ahead of both if something major has happened.
That's because the News Corp, which owns the Courier Mail and all major regional newspapers, owns 50% of Rugby League.