• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's National Sport

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
but darren lockyer's not related to reg reagan. yeh, he probably isn't now, but i used to stay up till 2am on a friday night if the knights were playing, simply because johns could make the ball talk.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
burkey_1988 said:
I guess you are right ... but I don't see what the off-field behaviour has to do with getting a six-year-old to play
Well with certain things, comes a certain lifestyle... and some parents think that the lifestyle associated with NRL is indecently assulting women in universities etc.... im not saying that this assumption is right or wrong, but i certainly dont blaim mothers if they want to reduce the risk of their children becoming monsters.

Simon

benchmark00 said:
Yes but if you look in the long term, there is every chance of it being overtaken, because parents would want to shelter (to a degree) their children from all the scandals and everything that has recently gone hand-in-hand with NRL, so when they grow older, they will be playing AFL (or other Codes)..
AFL players are perfect too arent they?
never hear rape or drug cases in the afl world do u...

benchmark00

broncoman said:
AFL players are perfect too arent they?
never hear rape or drug cases in the afl world do u...
Never said that, but not to the extent of NRL in recent times.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I live in the same building as Ken Arthuson (former chairman of ARL, Manly, etc).

Really nice guy who has the best interests of the game at heart.

There are times when you get the feeling that he's ashamed of the game and despairs for its future.

A friend of mine was part of the group that founded the Broncos.

He watches maybe 2-3 games a season now.

BTW, the Broncos, for all their success, have lost money for the past 3 years. How long can that continue before they merge.

On the other hand, another friend is very involved with the West Coast Eagles. Despite not winning a premiership for more than 10 years, they made a profit of MORE THAN 5 MILLION last year.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
another quick point ... sydney only cares about the swans (especially if they are successful) in afl, whereas sydney like rugby league in general

that's the feeling i get anyway

benchmark00

burkey_1988 said:
another quick point ... sydney only cares about the swans (especially if they are successful) in afl, whereas sydney like rugby league in general

that's the feeling i get anyway
Yes but doesnt this just mean its 2 states against the rest? Because its the same in every other state for AFL, making it more national.

Last edited:

Simon

broncos have lost money for the following reasons, the nrl clubs share of the tv revenue is 1/10th of what the AFL clubs get, they also had a part in financing the rebuilding of suncorp stadium and the money they do make is put into junior development and scouting.

The AFL draft limits the ammount of money clubs have to spend on young players. so in general you will find this is where the majority of finances is lost between the two codes.

I find it interesting that NRL is now looking to expand the competition, Union is adding a side in Perth and Football is launching its new competition, all the while afl crowds are on the slide. imo the codes are going in the opposite direction to what afl fans believe...

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Well i'm a fan of all footy codes, except soccer, but A.F.L is definetly the best. I can see how people can like the others more then another, except soccer, though. But to me, A.F.L has by far the most appeal. Once you get the rules, which btw aren't that hard at all, you should love it.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
benchmark00 said:
Yes but isnt this just mean its 2 states against the rest? Because its the same in every other state for AFL, making it more national.
Oh, I agree AFL is the national game, along with cricket, but league is definitely no. 1 in sydney

Buddhmaster

International Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Oh, I agree AFL is the national game, along with cricket, but league is definitely no. 1 in sydney
I don't think anyone debated that, and if they did, i'll admit for them they are wrong.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
benchmark00 said:
This has been a good debate, i've enjoyed it immensly:laugh:
Yes. Thoroughly worthwhile, completely not a waste of time, and in the end we've come up with an excellent conclusion that everyone agrees with.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Linda said:
Yes. Thoroughly worthwhile, completely not a waste of time, and in the end we've come up with an excellent conclusion that everyone agrees with.
better than the deperate housewives rubbish my sister's watching

Simon

the thing i find funny is that we werent actually debating what is australia's national sport, because its AFL, but rather debating why it is... which im still not sure of the answer to ;)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
the thing i find funny is that we werent actually debating what is australia's national sport, because its AFL, but rather debating why it is... which im still not sure of the answer to ;)
is that what we were talking about ... I was just typing rubbish

Son Of Coco

social said:
I live in the same building as Ken Arthuson (former chairman of ARL, Manly, etc).

Really nice guy who has the best interests of the game at heart.

There are times when you get the feeling that he's ashamed of the game and despairs for its future.

A friend of mine was part of the group that founded the Broncos.

He watches maybe 2-3 games a season now.

BTW, the Broncos, for all their success, have lost money for the past 3 years. How long can that continue before they merge.

On the other hand, another friend is very involved with the West Coast Eagles. Despite not winning a premiership for more than 10 years, they made a profit of MORE THAN 5 MILLION last year.
I wonder have the losses got something to do with the salary cap restrictions? The Broncos have a lot of very good players fitting in under the cap - and there's ways to get around it by employing spouses etc at the club and paying them exhorbitant amounts and so on. I've never understood how they all fit under the same cap as teams with few big guns.

Son Of Coco

social said:
That's because of the television rights agreement.

I live in Queensland with one NRL, one Super 12, and one AFL team.

Yhe lions are sold out every week (capacity about 40,000) and have by far the highest no. of people watching on TV - courtesy of interstate viewers.

Super 12 generally has a crowd of 12 - 20,000 with a moderate TV audience.

The Broncos have to give tickets away and have a moderate TV audience in QLD and very rarely get exposure elsewhere.

All this in one of 2 "Rugby League Heartlands."
To be fair though, how many club rugby games have big crowds in Oz? Super 12 is a state/provincial competition with very few games in comparison. State of Origin is a sell out too, but you're kind of comparing state rugby to club rugby league, not the same kettle of fish.

Simon

Son Of Coco said:
I wonder have the losses got something to do with the salary cap restrictions? The Broncos have a lot of very good players fitting in under the cap - and there's ways to get around it by employing spouses etc at the club and paying them exhorbitant amounts and so on. I've never understood how they all fit under the same cap as teams with few big guns.
they didnt fit them in the cap thats why weve lost Sailor, Tuqiri, Ben Walker, Chris Walker, Shane Walker, Harrison, Webb, Prince, Kahler, Czislowski, De Vere, Meyers etc... in recent seasons