• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Six Nations

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I think Jonny put it well in his interview today saying that in past Six Nations we've played badly at the start and scraped the wins/being playing scotland/italy. This time we have lost all three games narrowly, and the knives are out, yet our general play has been about as good/bad as some other games but we've not had a) Jonny to bale us out, b) the old heads when the chips are down.

The latter we're going to have to do without, the former shows we really need a high quality kicker in backup.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
3 defeats, all by less than a score - if we were being thrashed I would be worried, but we're very close to have had 3 wins.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
3 defeats, all by less than a score - if we were being thrashed I would be worried, but we're very close to have had 3 wins.

Since the world cup you have lost 9/12 matches you have played in. Not very convincing for World Champions

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't wanna sound more like a whinging Pom than is absolutely necessary, but Jason Robinson is out for the last two 6 Nations games now! Jeez, what's that, 20 injuries now?!?

On the plus side Andy Robinson has made Mart Corry our new skipper for those games. He's been comfortably our best forward thus far (Josh Lewsey his only serious competition for best player overall) & another certain taciturn 7-foot lump from Leicester was a fairly successful captain as I recall.... :D

For the team I reckon it'll be Lewsey to full-back with Cohen back on the wing (as a Saints fan this would be a mixed blessing for me, to say the least...). Although Simpson-Daniel & Balshaw are also in the 30. Leon Lloyd also picked at centre ahead of Henry Paul, which is an, er, interesting call....

Unless, of course, the Hong Kong 7s now take precedent over the 6 Nations!!! :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Blaze said:
Since the world cup you have lost 9/12 matches you have played in. Not very convincing for World Champions
That is a John Motson-esque useless stat, ignoring injuries, retirements, and how close the games have been.

Blaze

Banned
Tom Halsey said:
That is a John Motson-esque useless stat, ignoring injuries, retirements, and how close the games have been.

I don't care how many injuries you have. It just proves that England are pretty much nothing without Wilkonson and Johnson. Winning just 25% of your matches for a world champion team is nothing short of awful

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
I don't care how many injuries you have. It just proves that England are pretty much nothing without Wilkonson and Johnson. Winning just 25% of your matches for a world champion team is nothing short of awful
Even if a number of players are injured or retired, suerly a world champion team should have enough depth to at least remain competitive. I am not disputing that the English side has been weakened after the World Cup but at the moment the mix of so-called reserves and world cup winners are putting up a terrible display.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Somerset said:
Even if a number of players are injured or retired, suerly a world champion team should have enough depth to at least remain competitive. I am not disputing that the English side has been weakened after the World Cup but at the moment the mix of so-called reserves and world cup winners are putting up a terrible display.
We are still competitive! In our last 4 defeats we've lost by a grand total of 11 points!

If we were being thrashed outta sight in a way it would be easier to stomach. As it is the suspicion remains that with Jonny's boot or Jonno's sheer bloody-minded force of will we could've turned those narrow defeats into victories. I mean on two occasions (Australia & France) we actually outscored the oppo try-wise! That's unheard of! We've been doing that to teams for as long as I've been into Union!

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
We are still competitive! In our last 4 defeats we've lost by a grand total of 11 points!

If we were being thrashed outta sight in a way it would be easier to stomach. As it is the suspicion remains that with Jonny's boot or Jonno's sheer bloody-minded force of will we could've turned those narrow defeats into victories. I mean on two occasions (Australia & France) we actually outscored the oppo try-wise! That's unheard of! We've been doing that to teams for as long as I've been into Union!
Yeah but true world champions should win the close ones. A loss is a loss.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Yeah but true world champions should win the close ones. A loss is a loss.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very far from happy with it. The RFU's intransigence has lost us the organizational & motivational skills of Sir Cive & he hasn't been replaced. Andy Robinson has just had managerial duties added to his coaching role.

Personally I think it might've been better if we'd lost to SA in the autumn & Robbo hadn't got the job. I'd have preferred a foreigner with an outsider's perspective like Mitchell or Mallett.

& don't get me started on our domestic scene...... :D

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm very far from happy with it. The RFU's intransigence has lost us the organizational & motivational skills of Sir Cive & he hasn't been replaced. Andy Robinson has just had managerial duties added to his coaching role.

Personally I think it might've been better if we'd lost to SA in the autumn & Robbo hadn't got the job. I'd have preferred a foreigner with an outsider's perspective like Mitchell or Mallett.

& don't get me started on our domestic scene...... :D
Yes you certainly have your problems.

Anyone going to watch the Southern v.s. Northern hemisphere match?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
In about 5 hours actually!!!!

TV One. 3.15am
*Groans* Considering I woke up at 7 this morning I don't think I'll be staying up. Might tape it though, do you think it'll be worth watching delayed?

Blaze

Banned
Somerset said:
*Groans* Considering I woke up at 7 this morning I don't think I'll be staying up. Might tape it though, do you think it'll be worth watching delayed?
Not really sure. I don't even know who is playing for the two sides. Has got very little publicity here.

You can always catch the highlights on the news i spose.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Not really sure. I don't even know who is playing for the two sides. Has got very little publicity here.

You can always catch the highlights on the news i spose.
Here are the sides in case you're interested:
North XV: 15 Chris Paterson (Edinburgh, Scotland), 14 Mirco Bergamasco (Stade Français, Italy), 13 Ollie Smit (Leicester, England), 12 Damien Traille (Biarritz Olympique, France), 11 Ben Cohen (Northampton, England), 10 David Humphreys (Ulster, Ireland), 9 Gareth Cooper (Newport Gwent, Wales), 8 Simon Taylor (Edinburgh, Scotland), 7 Pat Sanderson (Worcester, England), 6 Lawrence Dallaglio (Wasps, England captain), 5 Donncha O’Callaghan (Munster, Ireland), 4 Marco Bortolami (RC Narbonne, Italy), 3 Chris Horsman (Worcester), 2 Andy Titterrell (Sale Sharks, England), 1 John Yapp (Cardiff, Wales).
Replacements: 16 Raphaël Ibanez (Saracens, France), 17 Cédric Soulette( ASM Clermont Auvergne, France), 18 Oliver Brouzet (Stade Français, France), 19 Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys, Wales), 20 Mike Phillips (Llanelli, Wales), 21 Ceri Sweeney (Newport Gwent, Wales), 22 Mathew Tait (Newcastle Falcons, England).

South XV: 15 Chris Latham (Reds, Australia), 14 Brian Lima (Samoa), 13 Jacques Fourie (Cats, South Africa), 12 Tana Umaga (Hurricanes, New Zealand), 11 Sireli Bobo (Parma, Fiji), 10 Andrew Mehrtens (Crusaders, New Zealand), 9 George Gregan (Brumbies, Australia), 8 Toutai Kefu (Kubota Spears, Australia), 7 Phil Waugh (Waratahs, Australia), 6 Schalk Burger (Stormers, South Africa), 5 Victor Matfield (Bulls, South Africa), 4 Simon Maling (NEC Harlequins, New Zealand), 3 Kobus Visagie (Saracens, South Africa), 2 John Smit (Sharks, South Africa), 1 Carl Hoeft (Highlanders, New Zealand).
Replacements: 16 Ephraim Taukafa (Leicester, Tonga), 17 Eusebio Guinazu (Mendoza, Argentina), 18 Semo Sititi (Newcastle Falcons, Samoa), 19 Opeta Palepoi (Rotherham, Samoa), 20 Moses Raulini (Saracens, Fiji), 21 Tinus Delport (Worcester, SA), 22 tbc.

As you say, very little publicity - I wasn't even aware it was on tomorrow morning.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
To be fair results are what count, but the last 4 defeats have all been by less than a score, so it's not as bad as some make out.

Didn't see the Australia game, but a lack of a kicker meant a simple conversion was missed, we lost by 1 point.
Wales was an awful game from both sides, either could've won it.
France we should have won, played very very well in the first half but some wrong decisions and an off day for Hodgson lost it.
Ireland I didn't see but gather the ref played a huge part in it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
I'm hoping it'll be played a bit like the Barbarians games are.
I think that's a fair guess, although at least three of the English players (Cohen, Ollie Smith & Pat Sanderson) will probably have points to prove regarding their selection (or rather non-selection) for us.

Hoping for a big game from Ollie, as I keep saying the boy is very, very good. Given the state of our backs just now his continued absence is, well, wrong! :D