• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Six Nations

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah our discipline is infuriating, but Kaplan(d?) is shockingly biased against England, he always has been. Wales have been penalised for killing the ball 3 times in their own 22, yet none of them have been yellow carded, including Ryan Jones just then. He is such a ****.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yup, that kick was the Welsh win.

Our discipline has cost us; how often do we outscore teams and end up 8 points down?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyways well done England for gifting this mediocre ****e yet another win they don't deserve.

Idiot Edwards will be banging on about how great they are for the next millennium when they have sod all chance of winning the World Cup.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Better from us, but I'd hate the limit of our ambition to be avoiding a dicking versus fugging Wales.

Worsley thoroughly deserving man of the match. Was huge, especially as he's a natural 6 playing open side.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Agree with Scaly. I'll love it when Wales get creamed by the Southern Hemisphere sides. I almost want them to **** it all up as much as I want England to win.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah our discipline is infuriating, but Kaplan(d?) is shockingly biased against England, he always has been. Wales have been penalised for killing the ball 3 times in their own 22, yet none of them have been yellow carded, including Ryan Jones just then. He is such a ****.
Always looks a little better if you can actually be totally sure of the referee's name before launching into a tirade against them - otherwise, well, you look like you don't know what you're talking about...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haha right, because knowing whether someone has a d or not on the end of their name really makes a lot of difference as to what I am actually saying.

Jesus Christ you are a **** sometimes.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, gee, it's not like he's a complete newbie to the sport. He's been refereeing at the top level for 10 years.

And I hardly think your behaviour in that above post is that of a moderator.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well, gee, it's not like he's a complete newbie to the sport. He's been refereeing at the top level for 10 years
Well I am awfully sorry for not knowing the correct spelling for every international rugby official, I'll make sure to learn them all before I dare use them in a post again.

And I hardly think your behaviour in that above post is that of a moderator.
So basically, you are allowed to bait people such as myself and sit back and expect people to just let it go by (as I probably should) because you deem it out of line? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
So basically, you are allowed to bait people such as myself and sit back and expect people to just let it go by (as I probably should) because you deem it out of line? Sounds like a good deal to me.
Sounds good to me too. Let's move forward with it if we're all in agreement.

And I'm not baiting you - I'm pointing out your lack of knowledge of the sport. Secondly, I hate people wanking on about international referees being "****ing biased". Anyone genuinely biased, or perceived to have a bias, is either eradicated from the top level or, like in the case of Steve Walsh and England, is kept away from the team they're supposedly biased against. If you think modern-day referees are so incredibly biased, it's not even half as bad as things were pre-neutral referees.

PY

International Coach
You watch the game Volty?

Kaplan certainly seemed to be onto England quickly when it came to offsides and killing the ball (rightly so most of the time) but didn't seem to apply same level of discipline to Wales when there was some sly work around the breakdown. Not saying biased, he just seemed to penalise Wales but not to the same level.

All in all though, England weren't good enough so not going to pick too many holes and blame it on the ref. Our complete lack of confidence with ball in hand was crippling, Goode kicked way too much & has no pace whatsoever when there was an opportunity of a break, our discipline in defensive positions was abysmal. Elsewhere, scrum was unstable and didn't seem to be able to win it without cheating, place-kicking poor, lineout seemed ok if not world-class.

Positives were the mobility of the back row to the breakdown and Riki Flutey's performance when he had the opportunity to run with ball in hand.

Maybe I was watching a different game...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well fair enough, I can't comment on pre-neutral referees and I'm certainly not someone who often goes and gets upset about biased officials. Maybe 'consistently inconsistent officiating against England' would be a better way to describe the way I think he officiates against us. He sent off two players for offences that you very rarely see punished in that manner so early on in the game and when two Welsh players did pretty much exactly the same thing (killing the ball in the opponents 22), he simply gave away penalties, rather than sending them off. Make of that what you will.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, I saw our main problems as ill-discipline and poor kicking (both from hand and place) from Goode.

I thought that the defence, especially Worsley, was excellent and the play at break downs was probably better than the Welsh.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
You watch the game Volty?

Kaplan certainly seemed to be onto England quickly when it came to offsides and killing the ball (rightly so most of the time) but didn't seem to apply same level of discipline to Wales when there was some sly work around the breakdown. Not saying biased, he just seemed to penalise Wales but not to the same level.
No I didn't. I don't have the Rugby Channel and I had to come to work today. That said, my point was that throwing the "biased" call around is very dangerous. And I reckon rugby union is a game where it's very easy to perceive unfair treatment from the referee, simply because so much of it is a judgement call from the ref - at an average breakdown, on most occasions, he/she can blow the whistle for probably up to 10-12 infringements by various players. Rightly or wrongly, they tend to favour the team going forward, and that's when supporters start to get frustrated.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What I want to know is how such a slow poke as Tindall keeps out Matthew Tait. Imagine what sort of damage England could have doe on Wales had he been on hand to capitalise on Flutely's breaks

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dave Strettle as well. He has been awesome every time that I have seen him play, he hasn't played for ages now.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What I want to know is how such a slow poke as Tindall keeps out Matthew Tait. Imagine what sort of damage England could have doe on Wales had he been on hand to capitalise on Flutely's breaks
I think the perception is that our 13 has to be a bruiser to punch holes on the crash ball and who's defensively solid, which is why Noon & Tindall (who're pretty much the same player) are preferred. Would have no hesitation in playing Tait myself, especially with a couple of big wings in Cueto & Sackey outside him.

Re Kaplan; tought he reffed it fairly well, myself. He did warn Borthwick (who I don't rate as a captain or player, but Johnson must see something there I don't) about three times about our ball-killing before he carded someone. He probably should've carded Ryan Jones (? think it was him) for playing the ball off his feet late on, but we were over a score behind by then.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not a fan of Cueto or Sackey, but at least they're not picking Vainikolo on the wing. Tom Varndell is the option for me, can score a try out of absolutely nothing. I hate the trend of big ****-off immobile wingers. You can teach Varndell to tackle but you'll never teach Sackey much magic. It's endemic negativity, that sees a player like Andy Goode play international rugby. It's not that he's a bad player, he's a solid, reliable performer, but he doesn't win rugby matches. I still have nightmares about what Danny Cipriani did to us last year.

Bear in mind, though, that i haven't got watching much domestic rugby this season so all of my opinions are about six months out of date.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan of Cueto or Sackey, but at least they're not picking Vainikolo on the wing. Tom Varndell is the option for me, can score a try out of absolutely nothing. I hate the trend of big ****-off immobile wingers. You can teach Varndell to tackle but you'll never teach Sackey much magic. It's endemic negativity, that sees a player like Andy Goode play international rugby. It's not that he's a bad player, he's a solid, reliable performer, but he doesn't win rugby matches. I still have nightmares about what Danny Cipriani did to us last year.

Bear in mind, though, that i haven't got watching much domestic rugby this season so all of my opinions are about six months out of date.
It doesn't really matter. I watched Julian White recently and he looked good in the GP. :-O