Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Alternate Football discussion

  1. #1
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,124

    Alternate Football discussion

    Football is not only about the English Football.

    I am sure people are interested in other football as well and this thread should help in speaking about the alternates. Please dont start speaking about NFL!

    Okay my favourite team is Barcelona. I have watched about 10-12 games of theirs this season and follow their scores atleast. I believe they are the best team in the world ahead of AC Milan, Juventus and Chelsea in that order.

    Latest Barca Result - 4-0 vs Numancia after a humiliation not long back

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,994
    Norwegian football league doesn't start for three months - which is the only "alternate" that interests me...
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Norwegian football league doesn't start for three months - which is the only "alternate" that interests me...
    dont know much about football/soccer, but i just noticed we have the same birthday- october 4th. awesome

  4. #4
    International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,335
    Italian Football has a Poor Cup which is Unlike the FA Cup


  5. #5
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Football is not only about the English Football.

    I am sure people are interested in other football as well and this thread should help in speaking about the alternates. Please dont start speaking about NFL!

    Okay my favourite team is Barcelona. I have watched about 10-12 games of theirs this season and follow their scores atleast. I believe they are the best team in the world ahead of AC Milan, Juventus and Chelsea in that order.

    Latest Barca Result - 4-0 vs Numancia after a humiliation not long back
    I watched quite a bit of Barcelona earlier in the season and thought they were superb. Ronaldinho and Deco are always great value, but I think Xavi and Puyol are the key men - fantastic players.

    They did seem to be tailing off a bit, but seem to be back on form after winning emphatically at Sevilla (didn't Real Madrid play Numancia?) on Saturday. I didn't see the game - did they play as well as the scoreline suggests?

  6. #6
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    29,561
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    dont know much about football/soccer, but i just noticed we have the same birthday- october 4th. awesome
    my ma's birthday that..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    my ma's birthday that..
    Heh, never heard of anyone who shares my birthday before - and then I hear of two in the same day...

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,124
    Quote Originally Posted by garage flower
    I watched quite a bit of Barcelona earlier in the season and thought they were superb. Ronaldinho and Deco are always great value, but I think Xavi and Puyol are the key men - fantastic players.

    They did seem to be tailing off a bit, but seem to be back on form after winning emphatically at Sevilla (didn't Real Madrid play Numancia?) on Saturday. I didn't see the game - did they play as well as the scoreline suggests?
    Ya my mistake. Madrid beat Numancia to keep the lead to 7 points. I couldnt follow either match due to weird hours they are played at.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Norwegian football league doesn't start for three months - which is the only "alternate" that interests me...
    *marks 3 months on calendar until the mighty Bodř/Glimt start playing again*

  10. #10
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,012
    i like the german and spanish league

    Barca and B Munich
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    19,049
    I once played against a Slovenain 2nd Division Side, we lost 11-1
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirzapur, India
    Posts
    21,124
    Barca lost to Atletico Madrid 0-2 and the lead over Real Madridi is a mere 4 points now. Very unlike Barca this season, they have lost two matches in the past few weeks which is concerning.

  13. #13
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    I once played against a Slovenain 2nd Division Side, we lost 11-1
    Deary me, how long ago was that?

    The new Australian A-League begings and my local team have gone for the name the 'Queensland Roar' - what a pathetic nickname?

    But at least they are trying to bring in Vieri (that is Max Vieri brother of Christian Vieri) as their marquee signing. For those who don't know, all 8 teams in the A-League have a starting salary cap of $1.5m but the marquee signing doesn't count. This could be from Max Vieri to Marcel Desially (if he has retired not that any club here could afford his wages even for some body so poor now).

    The teams are:
    • Adelaide United
    • Perth Glory (they can justify that nickname)
    • Melbourne Victory
    • Sydney
    • Central Coast
    • Auckland
    • Brisbane
    • Newcastle United


    Terry Venables IIRC is coach of Newcastle United, Englishman Steve McMahon is in charge of Perth, and former England and Norwich midfielder Ian Crook has a coaching role with Sydney (don't know how good he was and he is a regular guest 'expert' on Fox Sports when they show the Saturday night triple-header).

    As I said a poor nickname, but they are my local side so I guess I have to support them whether I like it or not. I will give it a go and go to a couple of games at least depending on my availability.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Auckland , New Zealand
    Posts
    13,252
    i thought we already had a thread for this..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

    Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

    Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

    Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

    Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

  15. #15
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Barca lost to Atletico Madrid 0-2 and the lead over Real Madridi is a mere 4 points now. Very unlike Barca this season, they have lost two matches in the past few weeks which is concerning.
    Do they still have as many injury problems as they did a few months ago? Guily and Larsson haven't featured much in Europe for them.

    If I ever get the chance I would love to go to the Nou Camp. 98,000 people there - magic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Official English Football Thread
    By Simon in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 04:42 PM
  2. Football team you support
    By Pratters in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 19-03-2005, 04:26 AM
  3. 04/05 Fantasy Football Champions League competition
    By Craig in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 01:05 AM
  4. Anyone watch England away in football AND cricket?
    By JackRussellsHat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-09-2004, 06:46 AM
  5. How much football do you watch?
    By Pratters in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 30-08-2004, 06:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •