• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alternate Football discussion

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Football is not only about the English Football.

I am sure people are interested in other football as well and this thread should help in speaking about the alternates. Please dont start speaking about NFL!

Okay my favourite team is Barcelona. I have watched about 10-12 games of theirs this season and follow their scores atleast. I believe they are the best team in the world ahead of AC Milan, Juventus and Chelsea in that order.

Latest Barca Result - 4-0 vs Numancia after a humiliation not long back :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Samuel_Vimes said:
Norwegian football league doesn't start for three months - which is the only "alternate" that interests me...
dont know much about football/soccer, but i just noticed we have the same birthday- october 4th. awesome

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Football is not only about the English Football.

I am sure people are interested in other football as well and this thread should help in speaking about the alternates. Please dont start speaking about NFL!

Okay my favourite team is Barcelona. I have watched about 10-12 games of theirs this season and follow their scores atleast. I believe they are the best team in the world ahead of AC Milan, Juventus and Chelsea in that order.

Latest Barca Result - 4-0 vs Numancia after a humiliation not long back :)
I watched quite a bit of Barcelona earlier in the season and thought they were superb. Ronaldinho and Deco are always great value, but I think Xavi and Puyol are the key men - fantastic players.

They did seem to be tailing off a bit, but seem to be back on form after winning emphatically at Sevilla (didn't Real Madrid play Numancia?) on Saturday. I didn't see the game - did they play as well as the scoreline suggests?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
garage flower said:
I watched quite a bit of Barcelona earlier in the season and thought they were superb. Ronaldinho and Deco are always great value, but I think Xavi and Puyol are the key men - fantastic players.

They did seem to be tailing off a bit, but seem to be back on form after winning emphatically at Sevilla (didn't Real Madrid play Numancia?) on Saturday. I didn't see the game - did they play as well as the scoreline suggests?
Ya my mistake. Madrid beat Numancia to keep the lead to 7 points. I couldnt follow either match due to weird hours they are played at.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Norwegian football league doesn't start for three months - which is the only "alternate" that interests me...
*marks 3 months on calendar until the mighty Bodø/Glimt start playing again* :happy:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Barca lost to Atletico Madrid 0-2 and the lead over Real Madridi is a mere 4 points now. Very unlike Barca this season, they have lost two matches in the past few weeks which is concerning.

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
I once played against a Slovenain 2nd Division Side, we lost 11-1
Deary me, how long ago was that?

The new Australian A-League begings and my local team have gone for the name the 'Queensland Roar' - what a pathetic nickname?

But at least they are trying to bring in Vieri (that is Max Vieri brother of Christian Vieri) as their marquee signing. For those who don't know, all 8 teams in the A-League have a starting salary cap of $1.5m but the marquee signing doesn't count. This could be from Max Vieri to Marcel Desially (if he has retired not that any club here could afford his wages even for some body so poor now).

The teams are:
  • Adelaide United
  • Perth Glory (they can justify that nickname)
  • Melbourne Victory
  • Sydney
  • Central Coast
  • Auckland
  • Brisbane
  • Newcastle United

Terry Venables IIRC is coach of Newcastle United, Englishman Steve McMahon is in charge of Perth, and former England and Norwich midfielder Ian Crook has a coaching role with Sydney (don't know how good he was and he is a regular guest 'expert' on Fox Sports when they show the Saturday night triple-header).

As I said a poor nickname, but they are my local side so I guess I have to support them whether I like it or not. I will give it a go and go to a couple of games at least depending on my availability.

Craig

World Traveller
Pratyush said:
Barca lost to Atletico Madrid 0-2 and the lead over Real Madridi is a mere 4 points now. Very unlike Barca this season, they have lost two matches in the past few weeks which is concerning.
Do they still have as many injury problems as they did a few months ago? Guily and Larsson haven't featured much in Europe for them.

If I ever get the chance I would love to go to the Nou Camp. 98,000 people there - magic.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
Actually, Craig It's Graham Souness :happy:
Actually Jamee, Craig is talking about Newcatle United Jets of Australia, though their coach is not Terry Venables but Jean-Paul de Marigny.

No Venables for A-League
Former England and Australia coach Terry Venables will not be taking up a role with Newcastle United Jets in next year's A-League. The NSW club had consistently claimed the soccer legend would be involved with the team, but Venables' London-based agent Leon Angel yesterday ruled out any position.

"Things can always change in life, but as we are today it is 100 per cent not happening," Angel said. "We want to make it categorically clear that he is not coming