• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Golf - importance of tournaments, tours

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I like golf but it becomes difficult to follow as I do not know how important he tournaments which are being played are and whether the best players are playing a tournament or not.

In tennis I understand with the four grand slams, davis cup, the season ender, the masters and other tournaments. The other ATP tournaments its fair to say about 1/3rd of the best play as usually its three in a week. Some times its half of the ebst but only rarely.

Help me about golf in details please!

cricket player

International Debutant
Never talk about golf .It is one of the boringiest sports in the world.It is also for smart people which you dont fit in that catagory. :p

nibbs

International Captain
i'm into the quarter finals of the club match play championships. i'm up against gary jones. he's going dooown

Blaze

Banned
cricket player said:
Never talk about golf .It is one of the boringiest sports in the world.It is also for smart people which you dont fit in that catagory. :p
Golf is one of the most enjoyable sports if you are playing well. It is also one of the most frustrating sports if your not playing so well. Are you catorgarising all golfers as smart people? How noble and intelligent you are CP. I haven't been here very long but I am begining to realise who the fools are here

cricket player

International Debutant
I never liked golf blaze.I dont know why.My life always have been around cricket.I dont really like to play any other sports besides cricket.My brother plays basketball every day and he always ask me to come and play but i ignore him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For some reason the World Rankings are heavily biased towards performances on the US Tour ahead of the European Tour.

It is all shown to be silly when things like the Ryder Cup come along where the USA team is almost all ranked ahead of the Europeans but they're then given a complete thrashing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF tho tournament & matchplay golf are different disciplines. I can't recall the last European to win a major. Lawrie in '99? That can't be right, surely?!

twctopcat

International Regular
BoyBrumby said:
TBF tho tournament & matchplay golf are different disciplines. I can't recall the last European to win a major. Lawrie in '99? That can't be right, surely?!
I thinkn you could be right regarding Paul Lawrie, scary thought. At least some non-US people have won them though, the likes of Singh,Els and Goosen. I think it won't be too long until a European player wins though, plenty of english players on the US tour this year with the likes of Donald, Westwood and Casey etc.
As for the sport itself i find it's the best way to cure a hangover, though don't expect to play well on one!! I usually play off about 12, best round of 79.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I havent got any answers till now sadly. Some one please explain properly the important tournies in golf, the importance of various tours etc. I really love golf as it shows your true character as no sport can as you are competing against yourself.

Gary Sobers admitted in his autobiography that had he known golf earlier, he would have pursued that professionally instead of cricket!

Langeveldt

Soutie
cricket player said:
We can talk about what we like.. If you don't like it, go take it up with a mod and I hope they make an even bigger fool out of you than you have already demonstrated on here

twctopcat

International Regular
The main tournaments in golf are the four majors: The US Masters, the US open, the Open and the USPGA, which run in that order throughout the year every year. The masters is played at augusta in Georgia each year whilst the other remaining majors change venue each year. However the open, the oldest of the four majors, is usually played at a links course which is one usually near the sea which plays differently to inland courses. The US open is renowned as the toughest of the four majors to win and is a great test of the game, both physically and mentally. The courses selected for the US open are especially tough with long rough and very quick greens being the hallmarks. The USPGA is most probably the least valued of all the majors though that is not to detract from its importance.
Aside from the four majors the TPC(tournament players championship) at sawgrass is often called the fifth major because of its tough course(including the famous 17th) and always competitive fields due to it usually being the nearest event before the first major at augusta. Other famous courses include pebble beach in california where strong winds make for treacherous golf and the plantation course in Kaplua, Hawaii.
The matchplay tournaments also hold great prestige with the world matchplay championships occuring each year where the wentworth title is highly prized.
There are also many team tournaments with the most famous being the ryder cup, where two teams from europe and the us contest in fourballs, foursomes and singles to claim the biennial trophy. There is a female version of the tournament called the solheim cup also which runs under the same format. There are also versions of the game for amateurs, the walker cup being for male amateurs and the curtis cup being the female form.