• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There was an interesting discussion on cricsim. General feeling is that the ref(s) applied common sense and just decided that you can't award a try based on downward pressure from a little finger so they just invented a story to back up the common sense decision. But you can't ref based on the refs judgement or we will have different rules every game. You must ref according to the rules.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed so.

There's no "well he's been a bit spawny there" get out clause.

In real time I thought (as did the ref) no try, but on replay it was pretty cut and dried.

Don't think England deserved it based on our 2nd half performance anyway tho; as Goughy alludes to we were trying to protect a lead rather than add to it. Until we no longer had a lead and it was too late, Hall's pinky notwithstanding.

the big bambino

International Captain
There was an interesting discussion on cricsim. General feeling is that the ref(s) applied common sense and just decided that you can't award a try based on downward pressure from a little finger so they just invented a story to back up the common sense decision. But you can't ref based on the refs judgement or we will have different rules every game. You must ref according to the rules.
Look I think this about sums it up. The on field decision by the ref was really the only one that could be given. Hall's reaction for me shows the rule for downward pressure is flawed.He made a 2nd attempt at the ball because he even believed the 1st touch wasn't enough. As I began with I reckon your summation of what the vid ref was going through is right, the contradiction with the rules notwithstanding.

Btw I love my international league even if its a bit incestuous.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Btw I love my international league even if its a bit incestuous.
thank you for saying that - there are only a few matches each year so it isn't over done. I would also not necessarily fear for the safety of anyone who questioned the value of International league in front of Wally Lewis - but I would think he would give you a well thought out piece of his mind that you would remember for quite some time. It certainly meant something to him.

I also think it is very important for the New ealand players as we don't have a SOO to acheive our aspirations in.

I think the AFL would give its right arm to have an international comp as meaningful as leagues. I was flicking channels one day and I came across some gala black tie event where they were naming the all australian AFL team and apparently it is an annual evening they hold (I could be mistaken as I only watched for 5 minutes) I bet AFL fans would love to see their dream team take on another country.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha. There is no way that was a try. What I like to do in this situation is imagine I am an opposition supporter. Would I be happy if that try was awarded? As an Australian supporter I wouldn't have been happy if that was given. English fans, put yourself in the situation if Aussies had of been given that try...would you have been happy? Well, maybe not happy, but could you have accepted it?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"Oh, Jarryd Hayne ran length-of-the-field from a kick return to score in Origin, complying with every rule in the book, but because I'm an opposition fan who isn't happy about the decision it shouldn't be a try. WE GOT ROBBED **** YOU BLUES!"

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. There is no way that was a try. What I like to do in this situation is imagine I am an opposition supporter. Would I be happy if that try was awarded? As an Australian supporter I wouldn't have been happy if that was given. English fans, put yourself in the situation if Aussies had of been given that try...would you have been happy? Well, maybe not happy, but could you have accepted it?
That doesnt make sense. If that try would have been scored against England then I would have been ****ing angry and sick that a piss weak, million to one, fluke of a try had cost my team the game. Doesnt make it not a try though.

(Though saying that, it wasnt really a fluke as Hall battled thought the obstruction and continued to pursue the ball when it was unlikely he could get there - he deserves a lot of credit)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
OK, big game. A lot has rightly been made about Joel Tomkins strangely keeping his place in the XIII but England need a better game from Tom Burgess as he looked like he was running in treacle against Aus.

Of course I want England to win but it is a 'win and be damned' situation as a victory keeps terrible Steve McNamara in the job.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cracking match so far, what a run from SKD in the lead-up to the Nightingale try.

Has anyone ever mentioned the David Klemmer - Mark O'Meley comparison? I haven't heard anyone suggest it, but it seems so obvious to me..

social

Cracking match so far, what a run from SKD in the lead-up to the Nightingale try.

Has anyone ever mentioned the David Klemmer - Mark O'Meley comparison? I haven't heard anyone suggest it, but it seems so obvious to me..
Klemmer hasn't played enough - only player in history to play for the 'Roos without having started a first grade match

With few exceptions, this is a club side that started the tourney with no match fitness

Last edited:

social

Good for the game and serves Oz right for taking the piss with their selections

Great matches and infinitely better than the **** rugby we have seen this year

Hopefully this sees a comeback for league internationals as it is a great game that should be far more popular world-wide than it is

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Klemmer hasn't played enough - only player in history to play for the 'Roos without having started a first grade match
Yeah I know.

Good for the game and serves Oz right for taking the piss with their selections

Great matches and infinitely better than the **** rugby we have seen this year

Hopefully this sees a comeback for league internationals as it is a great game that should be far more popular world-wide than it is
Yeah, awesome tournament - every match was good. How many selections were taking the piss in your opinion? We just didn't have enough big man to strike any fear in NZ.

the big bambino

International Captain
The forwards were always a worry from the time the selection sheet was pinned to the wall. All up it has been a great tournament and I enjoyed all the games I was able to see. Kiwis too large in the forwards for us and they were sharp in the backs with SJ a special. They were the best team and while the Roos were lucky to make the final thought it wasn't a bad result for us considering the number of debutants.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah without Matt Scott and Gallen our forward pack didn't look crash hot - but I think we did pick very close to our best starting pack side that was available for selection. I could easily be convinced to drop Thaiday though as he just doesn't do enough in attack.

The thing is though, we were completely outplayed in the backs too, with NZ's kicking game a class above ours. It was annoying that Inglis put up the bomb with 2 minutes remaining when we had Cronk, Smith, DCE and Hunt on the field.

Last edited: