Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby League - International

Breakout Champion!
    Don't see what's contentious about that tbh. Wellens is an excellent defensive fullback whose awareness and positional play is top notch. He's one of the few genuine quality players we've got up here. Only thing that lets him down is the fact that he's a comparable speed to Heather Mills without the prosthetic leg.

Breakout Champion!
    England destroy France 56-8. 'Tis the least I expected, considering this tme 3 years ago they only had 2 full time professionals.

Feels weird cheering on a team called England instead of GB. I miss us being Britain.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Saw about 15 minutes after the 2020 finished. Was quite surprised at how empty the stadium was. I know rugby a treize is still a pretty small concern frog-side, but really thought a few more would go out of curiousity, if nothing else. Toulouse is a big rugby town, even if they prefer the senior code.

Anyway, nice to get the win but any pleasure I get is a bit tempered by the desire to see the code grow & France getting thrashed royally every test can't be good for that.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Saw about 15 minutes after the 2020 finished. Was quite surprised at how empty the stadium was. I know rugby a treize is still a pretty small concern frog-side, but really thought a few more would go out of curiousity, if nothing else. Toulouse is a big rugby town, even if they prefer the senior code.
    Indeed. Toulouse and the South West of France are supposedly the stronghold of league down there, too.

Tbf to France getting thrashed-wise, they were missing both first choice props and Greseque at scrum half. Plus 5 players have not played since April or May and are only part time players anyway. Can't be good for fitness levels, as shown by us scoring 40 points in the second half. They were the better side for much of the first 20 minutes or so.

I'm looking forward to see how Tim Smith goes for Wigan. I know that makes him a **** because he is playing for them, but still.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how Tim Smith goes for Wigan. I know that makes him a **** because he is playing for them, but still.
    Yeah, given his drinking problems here I'm sure the UK with its pub culture is a fantastic place for him to be! Not saying its worse than the Gold Coast or Sydney mind you, just that the lure of a warm pub proves almost irresistible.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Breakout Champion!
    Will make his debut in the derby on Fri, in all likelihood.

In other news, Edinburgh gets magic weekend. Excitedexcitedexcitedexcitedexcitedexcited. Edinburgh > Cardiff. I'm going.

And in fantasy news:

Pos Team Manager Pts.
    1 One Vowel From Hell Brumby 1103
    2 NUFAN DO IT bowie 964
    3 Sweet Potatoes steds 912
    4 Team Matteh Matteh 704
    5 PSV Eindhoven Simon_ACT 452

Had a good week to make up ground on NUFAN, after going ages with a bunch of guys who weren't getting games and not being arsed to change it. Brumby's more or less got it sewn up.
    Last edited by steds; 15-07-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Wish he was still with Parra tbh. They miss him, for all his inconsistency. At least he offers some variety in attack, and they've been turnstiles in defence all year without him anyway.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Will make his debut in the derby on Fri, in all likelihood.

In other news, Edinburgh gets magic weekend. Excitedexcitedexcitedexcitedexcitedexcited. Edinburgh > Cardiff. I'm going.

And in fantasy news:

Pos Team Manager Pts.
    1 One Vowel From Hell Brumby 1103
    2 NUFAN DO IT bowie 964
    3 Sweet Potatoes steds 912
    4 Team Matteh Matteh 704
    5 PSV Eindhoven Simon_ACT 452

Had a good week to make up ground on NUFAN, after going ages with a bunch of guys who weren't getting games and not being arsed to change it. Brumby's more or less got it sewn up.
    Tell us how he goes in said game

Super League licence decisions

Celtic Crusaders & Salford City Reds join the current dozen teams. From the BBC.

Crusaders are clearly the way to go, it means we'll have full-time pro league in 3 European countries next year & hopefully this'll give the Welsh national team a shot in the arm (which they need after crapping out in qualifying for the WC), but would've preferred Widnes over Salford for historical reasons. As a child of the 80s the Chemics were one of the biggest teams around until Wigan started winning everything.

Breakout Champion!
    Salford have the strongest side, a new stadium, and the history. Fair enough, but if I were involved in Widnes' organisation I'd be fuming. In the space of 9 months, Stephen O'Connor has dragged them out of administration and turned the club around. It is apparently ran more professionally than any other National League club, it has the best coach in National League, and it has a knowledgable rugby league man who's been there and done it all as a player in Terry O'Connor at the top of it all. Add in 135 years of history and a stadium less than 15 years old that, unlike the Crusaders', actually meets the capacity criteria, they've got reason to feel aggreived.

Plus, their physio is hot.

If they wanted the Welsh team in, they should have given Cas or Wakefield the boot.

In other news, Paul Cooke's been a naughty boy again. Rumours abound about the exact nature of the discretion, but they all agree that he turned up for training having quenched his thirst, so to say. Tosser.

Pos Team Manager Pts.
    1 One Vowel From Hell Brumby 1126
    2 NUFAN DO IT bowie 990
    3 Sweet Potatoes steds 937
    4 Team Matteh Matteh 724
    5 PSV Eindhoven Simon_ACT 464

Can't believe Tolouse didn't get in, nor Widnes.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Hull star handed suspended jail term for "racist assault"

From the BBC. *Sigh* Just when you think the season's turned a corner.

Slightly suprised to hear it called a "racial attack". According to the assualted bouncer Gareth called him a "black 'this"' and a "black 'that"', which sounds bad, but given Raynor's clear non-whiteness:

is it really racism when a member of the same race uses it?

RIP Don Fox

From the BBC.

The great man takes his final leave from the playing field. Unfortunate to have possibly the most famous conversion miss of all time to his name. "Legend" is overused, but in league circles this man certainly passes muster.

World Cup squads

From the BBC.

Or "Why international league is a joke, part 257". I count at least 4 players named in two squads: Fraser Anderson (New Zealand & Tonga), Willie Mason (Oz & Tonga), Chase Stanley (NZ & Samoa) & Brent Kite (Oz & Tonga).

Extra marks, of course, to Anderson & Stanley for being Australians really.

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread Information