• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

howardj

International Coach
It's a bridge too far, this series

Should give them a proper offseason, particularly after a World Cup year

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Saw the trans-Tasman test's highlights. Inglis didn't seem to have one particular incident leading to his departure from it. Our comms said he'd had a virus.

30-12 flattered the home side, tbh. Nightingale butchered a sitter early doors trying to be a fancydan.

Walker as makeshift full-back for the Green and Gold was all kinds of epicmost fail.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Saw the trans-Tasman test's highlights. Inglis didn't seem to have one particular incident leading to his departure from it. Our comms said he'd had a virus.

30-12 flattered the home side, tbh. Nightingale butchered a sitter early doors trying to be a fancydan.

Walker as makeshift full-back for the Green and Gold was all kinds of epicmost fail.
i didnt see the game, and frankly i couldnt care less about it but walker killed it one game when he filled in at fullback for inglis

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was at the game and it was pretty even at half time. However, with an already weakened side you can't take two players out of the spine and expect to match it with a very good side like NZ. Foran & Johnson are in career best form, they were outstanding. Also, with a nuffie like Farah coming off the bench we were already down a player before the game started, so effectively had to beat the kiwis with 14 men.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I was at the game and it was pretty even at half time. However, with an already weakened side you can't take two players out of the spine and expect to match it with a very good side like NZ. Foran & Johnson are in career best form, they were outstanding. Also, with a nuffie like Farah coming off the bench we were already down a player before the game started, so effectively had to beat the kiwis with 14 men.
I made a post on another forum predicting that Johnson would finally "get" international league in this tournament. Australians have the advantage of SOO to get used to rep footy. While Kiwis and the English have to learn it on the International stage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, definitely a much better chance than usual. Should be a close game anyway.
Honestly can't even remember the last time we beat Oz.

Have vague recollections we spawned one in the Tri Nations (as was) series in which NZ got docked points for fielding the ineligible Fien.

Before that it was maybe the 95 WC when all Super League affiliated Aussies were excluded.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Oh come on. The day a scrape of a finger nail is a try then the game is a farce.

That scrape of a fingernail was good enough to be deemed as him having last touch on the ball though before it went dead. So the referees said it was a material touch of the ball.

I think it was dishonest refereeing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Oh come on. The day a scrape of a finger nail is a try then the game is a farce.
Call it a farce if you want but it was a try.

England were poor 2nd half, as was the refereeing in general, but that was a try - not a ***y try, not a great try, not a highlight reel try, just a last min, game and tournament changing try.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think we can all agree on definite tries. But this was a toss up. I know I'd be spewin' if it was given.
I'll give you that for sure - i was cheering on England for all money so I wanted it to be a try badly. What grated the most is that they didn't give a goal line drop out and invented some pure ****e about the ball was rising.

the big bambino

International Captain
I have to admit I didn't see the ball rising. On the rule itself I don't like the downward pressure interpretation in league. That and the practice that every dropped ball is a knock on (though I can see why refs rule that way to maintain consistency and avoid criticism). I know Australia have a few blokes unavailable but when I saw the squad thought - gee; that pack looks light. I'm not convinced we can beat Samoa next start and still reckon it will be an Eng v NZ final.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was a bull**** call. If he thought the defender had got to the ball first, then fine. He hadn't IMHO, but the ball was rising? Nah, that's Hans Christen Anderson stuff.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Was a bull**** call. If he thought the defender had got to the ball first, then fine. He hadn't IMHO, but the ball was rising? Nah, that's Hans Christen Anderson stuff.
Having slept on it, I am still annoyed. Everyone knew that appointing an Aussie ref was not just suspect but a recipe for disaster. Even if he had a great game there would still have been question marks - and he didnt have a great game.

Australia got away with a lot at the ruck both in both attack and defence only for England to be penalised at the play of the ball with one leading to an Aussie try. In fact, I am not sure England got a penalty in the 2nd half. Shockingly imbalanced and incompetent refereeing though not comic book villain level - that, of course, was left for Ryan Hall's try.

As for England, I think we all know the coach isnt great but he, again, made ****ty decisions. Keeping Clarke off in the 2nd half was crazy and playing conservative rugby the last 40 mins was disappointing. England didnt go out in the 2nd half to win the game but to maintain a lead. Crap.

The game itself at times showed how predictable top level League can be - I am a league guy - with few missed tackles, few mistakes and teams completing their sets. Ignoring the referee, I think the difference between the teams was that Australia's kicking game was far better.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
the only farce here is that we still bother with international rugby league

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't have been upset if the try had been given but reckon the most surprised guy on the field would've been the "try-scorer" as he obviously didn't think that he had done enough