• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think there's an element of branding him as a Pom about the selection, tbh. Qualifies for Oz on residence, so we're marking our territory in case he's the real deal.

Although given the infinite flexibility of league's qualfication eligibility I dunno why we're bothering, really. :ph34r:
He's already stated his desire to play for England, plus he's a very long way from playing for Australia even if he was eligible.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's already stated his desire to play for England, plus he's a very long way from playing for Australia even if he was eligible.
Hmm. Was hedging his bets as recently as Feb, tbh.
From the BBC:

He starred in Melbourne under-20's Grand Final triumph last year, serving notice of his enormous potential. Australia, though, might be the beneficiaries.

"I'm an Englishman, don't get me wrong," says Widdop with an ever so slight Australian twang, "I was born here, but if the chance came round to put on an Australian jersey, I'd take it."

Then, in an attempt to explain why, he further betrays an understandable schizophrenia: "They're just a lot better team than we'll ever be, with a lot better players." When he says 'they', he is, of course, talking about the Aussies. "Plus, it's freezing over here, mate, I think I've got used to the Australian heat."

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Manu for England?

From the BBC.

Another one of those "international league's a joke" stories. Now when we played Fa'asavalu we at least were able to truthfully claim he'd played all his league in England, but Manu's played for Wests, Easts & St George before heading up here and turned out for Tonga in the 08 WC.

I love Willie and he'd been great for the Black & Whites this year, but a potential Pom? Doesn't sit too well, tbh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Riki Flutey says hi.

:ph34r:
A very fair point and one which I really struggle to counter except to say Flutey hadn't played a full international for another country.

Although there's a argument that the Maori are effectively NZ "A" by another name anyway, I suppose. Didn't Cullen once turn out for them?

Julian87

State Captain
I just hope Australia pick the right front row rotation for the squad this year. And that means no Brett White, Brent Kite or Josh Perry.

David Shillington, Petero Civoneciva, Matt Scott, Michael Weyman and Tom Learoyd Lahrs will do nicely.

Nate Myles, who should the first backrower picked, can be used as a back up as well.

Craig

World Traveller
From the BBC.

Another one of those "international league's a joke" stories. Now when we played Fa'asavalu we at least were able to truthfully claim he'd played all his league in England, but Manu's played for Wests, Easts & St George before heading up here and turned out for Tonga in the 08 WC.

I love Willie and he'd been great for the Black & Whites this year, but a potential Pom? Doesn't sit too well, tbh.
I think Chris Heighington is ready to turn over for the 'mother country' owing to the fact that his dad is from Durham.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Chris Heighington is ready to turn over for the 'mother country' owing to the fact that his dad is from Durham.
The fact that he's (I assume) a UK national makes him more English than Manu for my quid.

Plus, from a league point of view, the fact he's playing with Ellis week in week out for Wests would be a bonus too. I'd take him, with Gaz, Burgess and Widdop we've shown that selecting NRL based chaps isn't a bother.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
And of course the fact that he can't seem to get into the NSW squad. Australia, both NSW and QLD have tons of great backrowers. Great player though imo. 11. Burgess, 12. Ellis, 13. Heighington is a very strong backrow. Not quite 11. Thaiday, 12. Miles, 13. Lewis strong but still pretty solid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Try premier sports Sky channel 433 encrypted for live stuff but I've known it unencrypted on some weekdays for NRL repeats.
It def used to be free and carried some NRL games on repeat as live & had some Gaelic Football too, but everytime I've switched on of late I've got the "To upgrade your Sky package..." message.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woah, was shocked when I first read it. Bit ironic that the same thing that killed his career killed him. :ph34r:

Seriously though, it's a massive shock. To think that earlier this year he still (?) held thoughts of a comeback.