• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

ripper868

International Coach
can completly understand someone not wanting to play in the league world cup, it's rigged.

the top 3 teams of the super pool go to the semis...that is aus, nz and eng. while the winners of the other two pools play off each other for the right to get pounded by one of those 3 in the semis.

No offense League, you a game best kept to england, australia and new zealand. The league world cup just gives guys like me ammo to shoot the game down as an international sport.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thing is though. It isn't an international sport. Heck, it's not even a national sport in Australia, and isn't even the most popular football code in New Zealand or England. League has a long way to go to become an International sport. But, even League needs a World Cup.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thing is though. It isn't an international sport. Heck, it's not even a national sport in Australia, and isn't even the most popular football code in New Zealand or England. League has a long way to go to become an International sport. But, even League needs a World Cup.
Oh, I agree. But I think a world cup that concentrated on the genuine league nations (Oz, NZ, PNG, England & France) with a "developing nations" tournament to run alongside it would be the way to go.

The other countries in this WC may be competitive but they look really contrived, with Tonga, Samoa & Fiji propped up with Australians & NZders who have island ancestry and Ireland and Scotland with Englishman (& a few Aussies) with a celtic (grand)parent.

Makes the sport look a bit daft as it is.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh, I agree. But I think a world cup that concentrated on the genuine league nations (Oz, NZ, PNG, England & France) with a "developing nations" tournament to run alongside it would be the way to go.

The other countries in this WC may be competitive but they look really contrived, with Tonga, Samoa & Fiji propped up with Australians & NZders who have island ancestry and Ireland and Scotland with Englishman (& a few Aussies) with a celtic (grand)parent.

Makes the sport look a bit daft as it is.
I guess it's a way of making the WC just that little more competitive. The duel nation rule is the biggest joke though. If you play for a country once you shouldn't be allowed to play for another country, at least not for a certain amount of time, say 5 years. Unless of course that country isn't a recognised WC country ala Matt Petersen playing for the USA.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
12-6 to Leeds Rhinos @ HT in the Super League GF. Stedly doing his nut somewhere doubtless. Suspicion of a knock-on about Leeds' 2nd try.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
24-16 to the Frenchmen. Steds reportedly on suicide watch. :ph34r:

Great game from Lee Smith who took Brent Webb's place at full-back. Might've just played himself into the England world cup team. McGuire outplayed Pryce too, which could mean an interesting decision for Smith to make regarding our stand-off (that's 5/8 to our antipodean cousins) for Australia.

howardj

International Coach
I'm thinking of playing rugby league this year. As you can tell with my posts, I'm an angry, aggressive young man with heaps of pent up frustration!! So, it will be a good outlet. On the downside, are injuries (I'm only 55kg and may get smashed a few times). I was wondering if anyone else plays, and how much a properly fitted mouthguard costs?

ripper868

International Coach
I'm thinking of playing rugby league this year. As you can tell with my posts, I'm an angry, aggressive young man with heaps of pent up frustration!! So, it will be a good outlet. On the downside, are injuries (I'm only 55kg and may get smashed a few times). I was wondering if anyone else plays, and how much a properly fitted mouthguard costs?
55kegs = under 15's level...if your playing seniors you WILL get belted. proper mouthgurad (as in mould from dentist) cost about $130 when i got my last one...takes about 2 weeks from first mould to receiving guard and trimming as needed.

Could make a good halfback in union with the traits mentioned above and the protection of the forwards in defence...

Craig

World Traveller
Yup, the FO took dim view of him (allegedly) beating up his partner. Greg Eastwood barred too; because of a driving offence, apparently.
Guys like Bird and Carney are barred fir this season in the NRL, we will soon see a list of players not allowed in the Super League and the NRL.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Guys like Bird and Carney are barred fir this season in the NRL, we will soon see a list of players not allowed in the Super League and the NRL.
Best bet might be Les Catalans, tbf. It's possible yer French don't have such strigent criteria for permits as we (suddenly) seem to.

Course not everyone can sign for them, so union frogside could be another option.

Craig

World Traveller
Best bet might be Les Catalans, tbf. It's possible yer French don't have such strigent criteria for permits as we (suddenly) seem to.

Course not everyone can sign for them, so union frogside could be another option.
Would they get pulled up when they go to England (and now Wales) to play their Super League matches?