• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. Had a chuckle at that. Nath obviously hasn't taken much notice of who he's played against in rep games over the last 5/6 years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Seeing as they borrow aussies all the time, and aussies borrow kiwis back, I'm inclined to agree, but the eligbility rules are there and they had to do it. If they didn't they're more or less saying it's ok to play whomever you want, whatever nationality. I'm pretty sure we'd have enough money to tempt a bloke in a position similar to Schifofske into discovering a long-lost almost pom grandparent.
We nearly did it with Micheal Withers IIRC, didn't we? He was selected for a GB squad on the basis of some alleged Irish grandparantage, but didn't make the XVII & then decided he was a true blue Aussie after all.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
We nearly did it with Micheal Withers IIRC, didn't we? He was selected for a GB squad on the basis of some alleged Irish grandparantage, but didn't make the XVII & then decided he was a true blue Aussie after all.
There's actually no alleged about it, AFAIK. Pretty sure he's played for Ireland since, but yes - 2001 Ashes.
Only other Aussie I can recall being in a GB squad is Tulsen Tollett in the 96 tour of the Pacific. Think he might well have been one of the 11 sent home when the RFL decided they cost too much. Don't know if he played. Just 2 foreigners, both of whom might not have actually played, is pretty good going when you look at our cricket/union teams. Less southerners aussies, probably, and all.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
There's actually no alleged about it, AFAIK. Pretty sure he's played for Ireland since, but yes - 2001 Ashes.
Only other Aussie I can recall being in a GB squad is Tulsen Tollett in the 96 tour of the Pacific. Think he might well have been one of the 11 sent home when the RFL decided they cost too much. Don't know if he played. Just 2 foreigners, both of whom might not have actually played, is pretty good going when you look at our cricket/union teams. Less southerners aussies, probably, and all.
tbf we've played our fair share of Frenchmen over the years

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe anyone cares about the Pryce thing. I constantly bag Bondi Beach and you don't see me making the papers about it.

Craig

World Traveller
League eligibilty has always been dodgy. Just look at the World Cup and Tonie Carroll - if that it isn't hypocritical then what is.

Anyway for the case of Carroll, is a a Kiwi or Australian?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just read in the paper that the Chairman of New Zealand Rugby League Selwyn Bennett has just resigned, seems he is making himself a scapegoat for Fien.

Craig

World Traveller
burkey_1988 said:
Don't get me started on all this, Craigos.
I'm just saying Carroll should either be allowed to play for either Australia or New Zealand. TBF he isn''t the only one with Ricketson, Tuqiri etc.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I'm just saying Carroll should either be allowed to play for either Australia or New Zealand. TBF he isn''t the only one with Ricketson, Tuqiri etc.
I could rant on for pages about this topic. How can Carroll play for both? How can brent Webb or Fien for that matter play for a country they're not even citizens of?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
They are dodgy, there's no doubt about it. WRT Carroll, he's NZ-born & QLD-raised, isn't he? Qualifies for both. It might be a technicality, but has he ever played tests for NZ? I thought he played for the NZ Super League team that played against NSW & QLD.

I have more of an issue with players like Ricketson, Mason & Tuqiri who all played in the 2000 WC for countries they qualified for on parentage/grandparentage & were subsequently capped in tests for Oz. Makes the sport seem half-arsed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How the hell is Mason not off? Absolute disgrace. First he gets a cheap shot in on Fielden & then he flattens Long late, head high leading with the elbow. Shocker.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Der Der Der Der Der Der Der Der
Der Der Der Der Der Der Der Derrrrrrr......
I love you Wellens
You are our Number One
I love you Wellens
You catch the highest bombs
I love you Wellens,
You are the best fullback in the world!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Quality rushing up out of the line from Lyon more like it. Justifies the fact he shouldn't be playing for Australia.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
They are dodgy, there's no doubt about it. WRT Carroll, he's NZ-born & QLD-raised, isn't he? Qualifies for both. It might be a technicality, but has he ever played tests for NZ? I thought he played for the NZ Super League team that played against NSW & QLD.

I have more of an issue with players like Ricketson, Mason & Tuqiri who all played in the 2000 WC for countries they qualified for on parentage/grandparentage & were subsequently capped in tests for Oz. Makes the sport seem half-arsed.
Carroll played for NZ in the 2000 World Cup, of which none of the matches were actually classed as Tests (you probably already knew that).