• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Gleeson had a shocker, his decision making just isn't up to the job, so we've gotta give Yeaman a go in the next test for mine.
If Senior keeps his place but Gleeson goes, I'll shoot myself.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Question: How are tries scored in the super league then? :ph34r:
A fair point, if (I'm guessing) a slightly facetious one. :p

It's a question of class of the oppo, obv. NZ & Oz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the average SL team. Plus, of course, you don't always have to break the line as such, sometimes a team makes overlaps by clever passing. We had one with the scores @ 2-0 to us, Gleeson chose to try to be a hero rather than passing to Carney & using the extra man.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It's a question of class of the oppo, obv. NZ & Oz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the average SL team.
Tbf, not so much so for NZ. Motu Tony can't even make the hooker's spot at Hull his own, and is an average player in general. Surely they have better hookers out there?

And that's Gleeson's game. He's more greedy than the average centre. Starved Albert of the ball at times when at St Helens, but it works for him in the Superleague.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Did Adrian Morley's hit come off the shoulder? I've only seen the one replay of it. It could be the only thing that saves him from another lengthy ban, definitely a dangerously wreckless and idiotic tackle.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Tbf, not so much so for NZ. Motu Tony can't even make the hooker's spot at Hull his own, and is an average player in general. Surely they have better hookers out there?

And that's Gleeson's game. He's more greedy than the average centre. Starved Albert of the ball at times when at St Helens, but it works for him in the Superleague.
I think it's fair to say NZ doesn't have a great geal of depth in their ranks (Hence Webb, Fien & the Caylesses getting a go & Mannering locking the scrum, I guess), but they do have class in crucial areas. Jones is all quality, Soliola and Tupou are both great prospects & (cheating Aussie tho he is) Webb was pretty decent today. When they get a sniff they have enough about them to take it, we can be camped on the oppo's ten metre line & really struggle to get a chink of light in the black line of defence.

&, fair enough with Gleeson, but he should have enough about him to be able to adapt his game.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Did Adrian Morley's hit come off the shoulder? I've only seen the one replay of it. It could be the only thing that saves him from another lengthy ban, definitely a dangerously wreckless and idiotic tackle.
Morley's an idiot. He's just a liability if he's going to set about trying to get himself sent off every game.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selwyn Bennet and Selwyn Pearson both beleive they have a strong case and that the Kiwi's won't have any points stripped, quite interesting though and it'll definately add some fuel to the fire.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ wont get stripped of the points but we wont be seeing Nathan Fien in the test team again, its all pretty petty tbh, its not like hes that good that they had to go to huge lengths to get him in the side, hes barely better than the alternatives...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
GB for the aussies:
Paul Wellens, Brian Carney, Keith Senior, Kirk Yeaman, Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire, Sean Long, Stuart Fielden, Terry Newton, Jamie Peacock, Gareth Ellis, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin.
Interchange: James Roby, Adrian Morley, Lee Gilmour, Jon Wilkin, Gareth Raynor (Raynor to be omitted, probably)

How stupid does Noble want to be? Knows Wilkin deserves a chance, so he drops Carvell so he can keep up his "players who don't deserve to be playing for the country, but I pick because I coach them at club level" quota. Now Fielden and Peacock will be forced into having far greater workloads. Gah! :wallbash:

Brave and correct decision to pick Yeaman, but one shocking game vs. two whole seasons of mediocrity? :confused:

If Senior keeps his place but Gleeson goes, I'll shoot myself.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
NZ stripped of 2 points

broncoman said:
NZ wont get stripped of the points but we wont be seeing Nathan Fien in the test team again, its all pretty petty tbh, its not like hes that good that they had to go to huge lengths to get him in the side, hes barely better than the alternatives...
Bum call from BM; ARL plays hard ball & NZ lose the two; as he qualifies on residence in a couple of months he may yet play for NZ again too! From the beeb's site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/international_and_australian/6098474.stm

Seems a bit tight IMHO, but the article suggests NZ were aware of Fien's selection, er, issues before they decided to cap him so they were, I guess, culpable.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Seems a bit tight IMHO
Seeing as they borrow aussies all the time, and aussies borrow kiwis back, I'm inclined to agree, but the eligbility rules are there and they had to do it. If they didn't they're more or less saying it's ok to play whomever you want, whatever nationality. I'm pretty sure we'd have enough money to tempt a bloke in a position similar to Schifofske into discovering a long-lost almost pom grandparent.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. What he does best, is ruffling feathers. He does it bloody well. Top piece of aussie baiting.

Really nice bloke, though. Met him blind drunk in St Helens town one Saturday night/Sunday morning. One of those loveable drunks.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
the funniest was Nathan Hindmarsh's response

"“If he doesn’t like it here he should just go home. I’ve got nothing against him or anyone else from England. In fact, I don’t even know who he is.”