• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula One discussion thread...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
How old is that photo, Rich?

Lancia went to the wall over a decade ago!
Oh its old, looks 1990 ish to me.. I think the Delta was the last car Lancia put out.. A serious piece of kit.. Racing at its finest..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Which of the current drivers do not deserve a spot in the F1 apart from Karthikeyan from people who feel this way?

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
to my knowledge Neil has never said he doesn't have any talent, he's said he doesn't have enough talent to justify being in formula one, given that there are an abundance of more talented drivers who are not in formula one.
There again,what,I mean how,I mean why do you guys always keep commenting that there are more talented and deserving candidates than him...Its given,isn't it?that there is bound to be so many other drivers wanting that shot at F1 and not getting it...there are only 20 places.

twctopcat

International Regular
I have question marks over Friesacher, Monteiro, Karthikeyan, Villeneuve, Klien and perhaps Sato.

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
His nationality is beside the point. He doesn't have the talent to merit a place whilst drivers like Anthony Davidson miss out.
u see one guy who havent impressed me alot is David Coultard every year before this he was th second driver of his team once hakinnen left maclaren i thought david will be the first driver but he never did that he was always behind Kimi.if u switched D C with Kathikeyan in their current teams
i think they would have finished today 13 and 7 respectevely(Just Guessing).the thing is that i am not saying that DC is bad than NK . its the team that makes a driver look good or not(90 %) remaining is his talent .

twctopcat

International Regular
If you're comparing DC with Karthikeyan in anyway you really have no idea. Fair enough DC has under achieved but his team mates at Mclaren were Hakkinen and Raikonnen, two of the fastest ever.

biased indian

International Coach
twctopcat said:
I have question marks over Friesacher, Monteiro, Karthikeyan, Villeneuve, Klien and perhaps Sato.
u can say that about almost any driver when their teams are not good .Schumacher didnt win championship when ferrari was bad but he was good enough to compete well lok at veilleneuve he was chapin with williams when every thing was goign right neating the same schumi.but now u have dooubts about him :)

biased indian

International Coach
twctopcat said:
If you're comparing DC with Karthikeyan in anyway you really have no idea. Fair enough DC has under achieved but his team mates at Mclaren were Hakkinen and Raikonnen, two of the fastest ever.
i w as not comparing them mate.

i was just showing u an underachiver in formula 1. there are mnay i will say more than half of them are

biased indian

International Coach
twctopcat said:
but the cars which he was fortunate to drive he should have done far far better :D :D

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Its sad that in F1,teams are so unbalanced that you can never compare two drivers unless they are driving two similar performing cars...

But then again F1 is not only abt the drivers,is it?Its the technology,the engineering,the aerodynamics...etc etc. As Schumi puts it,its a team game.

biased indian

International Coach
nikhil1772 said:
Its sad that in F1,teams are so unbalanced that you can never compare two drivers unless they are driving two similar performing cars...

But then again F1 is not only abt the drivers,is it?Its the technology,the engineering,the aerodynamics...etc etc. As Schumi puts it,its a team game.
and team orders if u r barichello

twctopcat

International Regular
biased indian said:
but the cars which he was fortunate to drive he should have done far far better :D :D
But he didn't do badly, 13 gp career wins, and the fact that he wasn't Hakkinen's standard is not a bad thing, Hakkinen beat Schumi which was a fair effort.

twctopcat

International Regular
biased indian said:
u can say that about almost any driver when their teams are not good .Schumacher didnt win championship when ferrari was bad but he was good enough to compete well lok at veilleneuve he was chapin with williams when every thing was goign right neating the same schumi.but now u have dooubts about him :)
Yeah but some of Schumi's drives in bad cars shows so much, see spain '96 and monaco and spa '97, don't think JV would've done that. The '97 williams was so superior you would have to have driven pretty awful to not win the world championship. Villeneuve has always had his flaws and has never been the same since they moved to grooved tyres.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
biased indian said:
.if u switched D C with Kathikeyan in their current teams
i think they would have finished today 13 and 7 respectevely(Just Guessing).
Which clearly shows DC to be the better driver then...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Am I alone in thinking that Button isn't going to be trying too hard this year?

He certainly didn't seem too interested today IMO.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
nikhil1772 said:
Who said he is better or worse than the drivers you mentioned? It doesn't have any relevance to the fact that you said Narain has no talent...He has got the opportunity,he'll try to make it worth it.

I rest my case.
You show me where I said he has no talent and you may have a point

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
biased indian said:
u see one guy who havent impressed me alot is David Coultard every year before this he was th second driver of his team once hakinnen left maclaren i thought david will be the first driver but he never did that he was always behind Kimi.if u switched D C with Kathikeyan in their current teams
i think they would have finished today 13 and 7 respectevely(Just Guessing).the thing is that i am not saying that DC is bad than NK . its the team that makes a driver look good or not(90 %) remaining is his talent .
Coulthard in the Jordan would have done well to finish above 15th. Anyone in the Jordan would have done well to finish above 15th. In the RBR, I expect Karthikeyan would have ended 12th or 13th. He would have done very, very well to beat Klien or Raikkonen.

Coulthard, however, has never done what he could have done having had the class car in the field so often. Schumacher won the World Championship in 1994 in an vastly inferior Benetton.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Am I alone in thinking that Button isn't going to be trying too hard this year?

He certainly didn't seem too interested today IMO.
Add that to the fact that this year's BAR shows every sign of being about as much fun to drive as a Lada Samara, then it's not a good recipe.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
twctopcat said:
Yeah but some of Schumi's drives in bad cars shows so much, see spain '96 and monaco and spa '97, don't think JV would've done that. The '97 williams was so superior you would have to have driven pretty awful to not win the world championship. Villeneuve has always had his flaws and has never been the same since they moved to grooved tyres.
Wasn't it Spain when he finished second despite being stuck in fifth gear for the second half of the race?

Villeneuve looks to be an absolute stinker of an acquisition for Sauber - seems a long, long way past his best and I'd expect Massa to constantly get the better of him (note the fact that Massa beat Villeneuve into the ground today despite qualifying at the back as opposed to JV's 4th).

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Has anyone here ever read Schumie's secret diaries? I used to read them regularly last year, but unfortunately can't find the website anymore. He is really, really very funny and nobody escaped. Even brother Ralphie. There was a time last year when it was reported he and Rhalph weren't talking to each other because of an entry in the diaries that Ralph took exception too. I remember reading it. Something about Ralph being a whiney mama's boy when they were kids and getting him into trouble with their Mom all the time and that he's still doing it as an adult